Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
I have been trying to use the relationship calculator, set the  maximum number of generations to 35 as the ancestor lived around 1000AD;

Prog has been running for over five hours, should I worry ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                           I intend to live forever
                                or die trying.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

Ron Johnson
On 05/21/2017 04:12 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
> I have been trying to use the relationship calculator, set the  maximum number of generations to 35 as the ancestor lived around 1000AD;

Presumably your tree is large and messy, with lots of cousin and uncle/niece
marriages?  (That complicates things too.)

> Prog has been running for over five hours, should I worry ?

Is it still running after 24 hours?

Re: Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Mon, 22 May 2017 11:09:26 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I have been trying to use the relationship calculator, set the  maximum number of generations to 35 as the ancestor lived around 1000AD;

> Presumably your tree is large and messy, with lots of cousin and uncle/niece
> marriages?  (That complicates things too.)

Over 12,000 individuals in the file,  could not tell about closely related marriages.

> > Prog has been running for over five hours, should I worry ?

> Is it still running after 24 hours?

Yes it is, hogging up to 97% of CPU according to htop.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                             Abstain from beans.
                                   -- Pythagoras

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

prculley
Can you describe in better detail what part of Gramps you are running?  The only 'Relationship Calculator' I am aware of is the Tools/Utilities/Relationship Calculator... menu item, and this seems to work fine.  I suspect you are running some other plugin or report since you mentioned setting max generations.

We recently fixed a logic bug in one of the filters (Deep relationship) that made it run very slow, it is possible that similar logic may be present elsewhere...

Paul C.

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Renaud OLGIATI <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 11:09:26 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I have been trying to use the relationship calculator, set the  maximum number of generations to 35 as the ancestor lived around 1000AD;

> Presumably your tree is large and messy, with lots of cousin and uncle/niece
> marriages?  (That complicates things too.)

Over 12,000 individuals in the file,  could not tell about closely related marriages.

> > Prog has been running for over five hours, should I worry ?

> Is it still running after 24 hours?

Yes it is, hogging up to 97% of CPU according to htop.

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                             Abstain from beans.
                                   -- Pythagoras

Re: Relationship Calculator taking a loooong time

paul womack
Paul Culley wrote:
> Can you describe in better detail what part of Gramps you are running?  The only 'Relationship Calculator' I am aware of is the Tools/Utilities/Relationship Calculator... menu item, and this seems to work fine.  I suspect you are running some other plugin or report since you mentioned setting max generations.
>
> We recently fixed a logic bug in one of the filters (Deep relationship) that made it run very slow, it is possible that similar logic may be present elsewhere...

Some (excellent, best known) network algorithms (and a gramps database
with families is certainly a network) are NP-complete.

Which means even if they're optimised and bug free, they could take ages (as in geological ones...)

    BugBear