Relationship graph: changed subgraph layout

Relationship graph: changed subgraph layout

Peter Hewett-2

It appears that Gramps has changed how subgraphs are laid out in relationship graphs. Is this an intentional change?

Previously (up to 5.0), Gramps laid out spouses at the same level of ancestry. This layout is shown on the Gramps wiki.
Now (v 5.1.1), spouses are placed either above (towards ancestors) or below (towards descendants) each other.

This image shows the same tree done with Gramps 5.0 and 5.1.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Qdo8DYw

Is this a bug or a feature? It appears to be a deliberate change to how the gv file is written, so maybe this change is intentional. Perhaps if this is not a bug, there should be an option to do the subgraph the way it was done in Gramps 5.0 and earlier.

TIA

Peter

Re: Relationship graph: changed subgraph layout

Peter Hewett-2
It appears that this was a deliberate change to how the relationship graphs are compiled with subgraphs.
https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/733

From my use of relationship graphs, this change makes the graphs more complicated and confusing. Here are three examples.
https://imgur.com/CYmC3cp
https://imgur.com/oStuEP3
https://imgur.com/nXaPMDF

What was the reasoning behind this change? I guess there was some case put to justify the change, and how it is an improvement. I would like to understand how this change can be used to make better graphs.

For my use of Gramps, I would like subgraphs to be laid out the way they were in gramps 5.0. Alternatively, I would like a check box to enable me to select that layout as an option.
This issue has been raised on bug tracker

TIA

Peter

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, at 11:49 AM, Peter Hewett wrote:

> It appears that Gramps has changed how subgraphs are laid out in
> relationship graphs. Is this an intentional change?
>
> Previously (up to 5.0), Gramps laid out spouses at the same level of
> ancestry. This layout is shown on the Gramps wiki.
> Now (v 5.1.1), spouses are placed either above (towards ancestors) or
> below (towards descendants) each other.
>
> This image shows the same tree done with Gramps 5.0 and 5.1.
> https://imgur.com/gallery/Qdo8DYw
>
> Is this a bug or a feature? It appears to be a deliberate change to how
> the gv file is written, so maybe this change is intentional. Perhaps if
> this is not a bug, there should be an option to do the subgraph the way
> it was done in Gramps 5.0 and earlier.
>
> TIA
>
> Peter

Re: Relationship graph: changed subgraph layout

GRAMPS - User mailing list
On 23/12/2019 22:43, Peter Hewett wrote:

> It appears that this was a deliberate change to how the relationship graphs are compiled with subgraphs.
> https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/pull/733
>
> >From my use of relationship graphs, this change makes the graphs more complicated and confusing. Here are three examples.
> https://imgur.com/CYmC3cp
> https://imgur.com/oStuEP3
> https://imgur.com/nXaPMDF
>
> What was the reasoning behind this change? I guess there was some case put to justify the change, and how it is an improvement. I would like to understand how this change can be used to make better graphs.
>
> For my use of Gramps, I would like subgraphs to be laid out the way they were in gramps 5.0. Alternatively, I would like a check box to enable me to select that layout as an option.
> This issue has been raised on bug tracker
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=11494

You would have to ask the author for his reasoning.

A pull request was submitted and was open for comments for about five
months.  After receiving no adverse comments it was merged.

I don't use this report myself, so it would be useful to get feedback
from users.

We could add an option to the report if people like both the old and new
versions.