Relationship to Root...

zed

Relationship to Root...

zed
Using Gramps v4.2.2 on Linux Mint v18.1

In my email of 26 Jun 2017 I said

"I am quite a new user of Gramps.  Ever since I started putting my
genealogical records on computer I have used a Windows program, and since
it was released I have used Family Historian.  It is an excellent
application  but as it is the only Windows program I now use, I thought it
about time I weaned myself off it and be completely Windows free!"

And I've realised that one of the things I would miss in Family Historian,
is the ability to show the Relationship to the Root person of everyone
else listed.  I find this particularly useful. For example,  if I wish to
show a relative her/his relationship with all other people listed, it is a
simple matter to make that relative Root and then save as a PDF and email
it.

I have looked through the Gramplets in Gramps but cannot find one which
seems to achieve this object.  Is there such a Gramplet?

Zed

--
zed
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms! Anonymous

Re: Relationship to Root...

Dave Scheipers
Hi Zed.

Gramps has this function built in.

Step one is to select the Home person. In either of the people list views, select the person, go to Menu bar > Edit > Set Home Person

Or go to the person you wish to make the home person, edit their record, and on any non-field area (I like the area where tags are displayed) right click, and Set this person as home person.

In any person view or relationship view, selecting the Home Icon takes you back to this person.

To display the relationship to this person go to Menu bar > Edit > Preferences > Display tab
Alter the Status bar to display relationship to Home Person. The alternative is just the name and number for the record.

Hope this helped, Dave

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM, zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

J. Allen Crider-2
That is an interesting feature that I wasn't aware of and will probably
start using, but I don't think it is what Zed was looking for.  For one
thing, as far as I can tell, it only shows relationships for blood
relatives and a very limited set of other relationships (spouses, some
step-relationships, and maybe a few others).  I haven't checked whether
it has any affect on any reports.

The Deep Connections gramplet does show how a person is connected to the
home person and is useful for seeing connections to those who are not
blood relatives, but it still only gives results for one person and it
doesn't describe the relationship.

The Kinship report might be useful for Zed, but since I've never looked
at Family Historian I don't know how close it is to what he is looking for.

Allen Crider

On 06/27/2017 09:13 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> Hi Zed.
>
> Gramps has this function built in.
>
> Step one is to select the Home person. In either of the people list
> views, select the person, go to Menu bar > Edit > Set Home Person
>
> Or go to the person you wish to make the home person, edit their record,
> and on any non-field area (I like the area where tags are displayed)
> right click, and Set this person as home person.
>
> In any person view or relationship view, selecting the Home Icon takes
> you back to this person.
>
> To display the relationship to this person go to Menu bar > Edit >
> Preferences > Display tab
> Alter the Status bar to display relationship to Home Person. The
> alternative is just the name and number for the record.
>
> Hope this helped, Dave
>
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 9:36 PM, zed <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Using Gramps v4.2.2 on Linux Mint v18.1
>
>     In my email of 26 Jun 2017 I said
>
>     "I am quite a new user of Gramps.  Ever since I started putting my
>     genealogical records on computer I have used a Windows program, and
>     since
>     it was released I have used Family Historian.  It is an excellent
>     application  but as it is the only Windows program I now use, I
>     thought it
>     about time I weaned myself off it and be completely Windows free!"
>
>     And I've realised that one of the things I would miss in Family
>     Historian,
>     is the ability to show the Relationship to the Root person of everyone
>     else listed.  I find this particularly useful. For example,  if I
>     wish to
>     show a relative her/his relationship with all other people listed,
>     it is a
>     simple matter to make that relative Root and then save as a PDF and
>     email
>     it.
>
>     I have looked through the Gramplets in Gramps but cannot find one which
>     seems to achieve this object.  Is there such a Gramplet?
>
>     Zed
>
>     --
>     zed
>     Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms! Anonymous

Re: Relationship to Root...

Paul Franklin-5
Zed asked about gramplets but if he wants to generate a PDF
to send to a relative I suggest investigating reports instead.

Several of the reports (IIRC) have an option to show the relationship
to the home person -- or not.

zed

Re: Relationship to Root...

zed
zed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Gramps v4.2.2 on Linux Mint v18.1
>
> In my email of 26 Jun 2017 I said
>
> "I am quite a new user of Gramps.  Ever since I started putting my
> genealogical records on computer I have used a Windows program, and
> since it was released I have used Family Historian.  It is an excellent
> application  but as it is the only Windows program I now use, I thought
> it about time I weaned myself off it and be completely Windows free!"
>
> And I've realised that one of the things I would miss in Family
> Historian, is the ability to show the Relationship to the Root person of
> everyone else listed.  I find this particularly useful. For example,  if
> I wish to show a relative her/his relationship with all other people
> listed, it is a simple matter to make that relative Root and then save
> as a PDF and email it.
>
> I have looked through the Gramplets in Gramps but cannot find one which
> seems to achieve this object.  Is there such a Gramplet?

Thank you for the very prompt replies.

I have tried the suggestins made - and also been through all the reports,
but found nothing that meets the criterias.  Perhaps this is because what
I want wasn't described sufficiently in my original email. So let me try
again.

The Records view of a Family Historian database has fields showing the:
Individual (by name), Record ID, Dates (Birth and Death - as appropriate)
as default and one can add other fields.  I added Birth Place and
Relationship to Root, both selected from a drop-down menu.

So, when creating a report for All Individuals, I end up with a report as
in the following example.

Individual       Record Id      Dates           Birth Place
Relationship to Root

Dawn AINSWORTH      55         1959-          Shorlish, Devon       lst
cousin once-removed

Samuuel ALFORD      1235       1798-1843      Paddington, London    2nd
cousin

Mary BARNETT        1266       1806-1886      Dunfermline, Fife     great
(x 4) grandmother

Sara BLACK          81         1977           Auckland, N.Z.        son's
wife

Peter Bourke        741        1970           New Plymouth, N.Z.
Daughter's husband

Xavier Bourke      1352        2010           Palmerston Nth. N.Z.
grandson

I hope this is clearer, even thought the formatting leaves much to be
desired :-)

Zed
--
zed
CURSOR: An expert in four-letter words.

Re: Relationship to Root...

On 06/28/2017 05:41 PM, zed wrote:
zed [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I don't think there's such a report in Gramps.  (I don't even think there's even just an Alphabetical List report as you describe.  The closest might be the Kinship Report, which does list the listed people's relationships to "root".)

Re: Relationship to Root...

Rich Lakey
I thought I was the only one to want such a feature!  I have been for years adding relationship information in the optional suffix field.  Using the relationship calculator I calculate everyones relationship to my grandchildren. It is nice not only for showing to relatives but for me to keep strait who is who with 17,000 people.
The disadvantages to my way is it is slow. I only update a person while working with them for some other reason. And it is fixed. But I felt that would be my great grandchildrens problem.
But having the relationship in the optional suffix field has the advantage it shows in most any person view and most reports, also in the narrated web.
But it would be nice if it could be automated and the home person could be changed.

zed [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Have you backed up your files today?

zed

Re: Relationship to Root...

zed
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/28/2017 05:41 PM, zed wrote:
> > zed <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Using Gramps v4.2.2 on Linux Mint v18.1
> >>
> > > In my email of 26 Jun 2017 I said
> >>
> > > "I am quite a new user of Gramps.  Ever since I started putting my
> > > genealogical records on computer I have used a Windows program, and
> > > since it was released I have used Family Historian.  It is an
> > > excellent application  but as it is the only Windows program I now
> > > use, I thought it about time I weaned myself off it and be
> > > completely Windows free!"
> >>
> > > And I've realised that one of the things I would miss in Family
> > > Historian, is the ability to show the Relationship to the Root
> > > person of everyone else listed.  I find this particularly useful.
> > > For example,  if I wish to show a relative her/his relationship with
> > > all other people listed, it is a simple matter to make that relative
> > > Root and then save as a PDF and email it.
> >>
> > > I have looked through the Gramplets in Gramps but cannot find one
> > > which seems to achieve this object.  Is there such a Gramplet?
> > Thank you for the very prompt replies.
> >
> > I have tried the suggestins made - and also been through all the
> > reports, but found nothing that meets the criterias.  Perhaps this is
> > because what I want wasn't described sufficiently in my original
> > email. So let me try again.
> >
> > The Records view of a Family Historian database has fields showing
> > the: Individual (by name), Record ID, Dates (Birth and Death - as
> > appropriate) as default and one can add other fields.  I added Birth
> > Place and Relationship to Root, both selected from a drop-down menu.
> >
> > So, when creating a report for All Individuals, I end up with a report
> > as in the following example.
> >
> > Individual       Record Id      Dates           Birth Place
> > Relationship to Root
> >

> > Dawn AINSWORTH      55         1959-          Shorlish, Devon
> > lst cousin once-removed
> >
> > Samuuel ALFORD      1235       1798-1843      Paddington, London
> > 2nd cousin
> >
> > Mary BARNETT        1266       1806-1886      Dunfermline, Fife
> > great (x 4) grandmother
> >
> > Sara BLACK          81         1977           Auckland, N.Z.
> > son's wife
> >
> > Peter Bourke        741        1970           New Plymouth, N.Z.
> > Daughter's husband
> >
> > Xavier Bourke      1352        2010           Palmerston Nth. N.Z.
> > grandson
> >

> > I hope this is clearer, even thought the formatting leaves much to be
> > desired :-)
>
> I don't think there's such a report in Gramps.  (I don't even think
> there's even just an Alphabetical List report as you describe.  The
> closest might be the Kinship Report, which *does* list the listed
> people's relationships to "root".)

Once again, thank you all for a prompt response.

Your  reply, Ron, led me to have a deeper look at the Kinship Report and,
on reflection, I think my old brain could come to accept that it does give
me th information I want, even if it is in a different format.

I am now much nearer in leaving Microsoft Windows for ever!

Zed
--
zed
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms! Anonymous

Re: Relationship to Root...

Hello,

I looked I something like that too during devel!

I played with some set of files but it was not for production.
Anyway, if you want to take the risk ...

* Download 3 files :

https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/raw/maintenance/gramps42/RelID/Relation_tab.gpr.py
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/raw/maintenance/gramps42/RelID/Relation_tab.py
https://github.com/gramps-project/addons-source/raw/maintenance/gramps42/RelID/number.py

* under your user local directory related to gramps :
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_4.2_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory

move to "../gramps/gramps42/plugins", create a new folder and put the downloaded files

Now, start Gramps, under Edition menu -> Preferences (General tab), set a large (or not) number of "maximum
generation for the calculation" (then you will be able to ajust if the tool computing becomes too slow).

Finally, run the new experimental tool available under Tools menu -> Analyse ...
(I am not certain of the item name in english!)

Note, some experimental stuff are used on this tool ...
Some around UI, signals, windows manager, OS, process, CPU, etc ...
So, I am not certain this will work on all configurations. :-(

Anyway, it should generate what you are looking for.

Hope this can help.

J.

 Objet: [Gramps-users] Relationship to Root...
 À: [hidden email]

Re: Relationship to Root...

It is not difficult to use relationship calculator features during a pass (e.g., via a tool
or a gramplet). The problem could be the number of additional informations!

You can start to list all (first matching) relation between two people, then
you may want to match further (how many levels?), then with a large list, you may
want to also display the generation or the period (span, range of dates), the places,
the parent, the spouse(s), the occupation, etc ...

Every time I added one column on the experimental relationships tab, "step" time grows
by e.g., 0.01 second per records (rows) for the calculation or the display...
17 000 people already makes some additional seconds!

True, one solution could be to write such meta-data like (relations between two people)
on a DB table, and refresh/update the entry after changes on the relationship path.

J.

 Objet: Re: [Gramps-users] Relationship to Root...
 À: [hidden email]