Relationships view indention

Steve Hall-3

Would it be possible to adjust Relationships View so that individuals in
the same generation are shown at the same indent level? I think this
could easily be done just by bumping the content under Family one tab
and it would make this view a lot clearer.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Relationships view indention

bm-5
Possible certainly.
But what do you mean exactly, that father/mother is not same indent as spouse?

As this is devel list, some code.
This is not so simple from a GUI design, have a look at: _RelationView.py, the
data is oredered in columns, like a html table, with every textfield
spanning a
number of columns.
If you can work out a layout in columns on paper that would work for what you
want, that would make it for whoever wants to implement it a lot more easy.

Have a look at the present column layout:

_NAME_START   = 0
_LABEL_START  = 1
_LABEL_STOP   = 2
_DATA_START   = _LABEL_STOP
_DATA_STOP    = _DATA_START+1
_BTN_START    = _DATA_STOP
_BTN_STOP     = _BTN_START+2
_PLABEL_START = 2
_PLABEL_STOP  = _PLABEL_START+1
_PDATA_START  = _PLABEL_STOP
_PDATA_STOP   = _PDATA_START+2
_PDTLS_START  = _PLABEL_STOP
_PDTLS_STOP   = _PDTLS_START+2
_CLABEL_START = _PLABEL_START+1
_CLABEL_STOP  = _CLABEL_START+1
_CDATA_START  = _CLABEL_STOP
_CDATA_STOP   = _CDATA_START+1
_CDTLS_START  = _CDATA_START
_CDTLS_STOP   = _CDTLS_START+1
_ALABEL_START = 1
_ALABEL_STOP  = _ALABEL_START+1
_ADATA_START  = _ALABEL_STOP
_ADATA_STOP   = _ADATA_START+3
_SDATA_START  = 3
_SDATA_STOP   = 5

So you see, that label Parents start in colum 1, stops at 2,
(_LABEL_STOP), and
label Father (_PLABEL_START) starts at 2 (so third column).
Putting Spouse in column nr 3 instead of 4, would shift the spouse name
but the
position of children would not be correct anymore as that column does not end
nicely there.

Moreover, Father and Spouse are written with the same write_person
method, which
would have to be undoubled to eg write_parent, and write_person  so they are
written in different columns, see self.attach.attach(label, _PLABEL_START,
_PLABEL_STOP,....

Perhaps unintending Father/Mather would be easier, but then the columns
must be
reworked too.

So, step one: you should make a consistent different column layout which would
work.
Step tw, changing the labels and adding a write_parent, can then be
done quickly
without trial and error.

Benny

Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:

> Would it be possible to adjust Relationships View so that individuals in
> the same generation are shown at the same indent level? I think this
> could easily be done just by bumping the content under Family one tab
> and it would make this view a lot clearer.
>
> --
> Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Relationships view indention

Steve Hall-3

Whew, I started into this, but it's over my head. I'm not sure I
understand your step 1 below, are you meaning to re-formulate the code
to better lend itself to variable indentation?

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:44 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> work.
> Step tw, changing the labels and adding a write_parent, can then be
> done quickly
> without trial and error.
>
> Benny
>
> Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:
>

> > Would it be possible to adjust Relationships View so that individuals in
> > the same generation are shown at the same indent level? I think this
> > could easily be done just by bumping the content under Family one tab
> > and it would make this view a lot clearer.
> >
> > --
> > Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

Re: Relationships view indention

bm-5

> Whew, I started into this, but it's over my head. I'm not sure I
> understand your step 1 below, are you meaning to re-formulate the code
> to better lend itself to variable indentation?

Don't worry, I always start with the most difficult explanation.
Let's put it simply: the screen you look at is in reality a number of rows and
column where the data is organized in, with some data spanning multiple
columns.

To change the design to a different layout, one needs to determine in
which row
and column the data should now go.

So, for your suggestion; the best would be you open a spreadsheat, like excel,
openoffice, and write down the information in excell so everything is visible
for a person which has parents, partner, ....

If the text looks nice in the spreadsheet, it will come out the same on
screen.
The question will then be, is this layout nicer? I,m afraid moving the
children
to the right will create a lot of empty space to the left which is unusual and
might not be nice on the eye. Anyway, trying it in a spreadsheet and putting
them side by side should enable you/others to determine if the change would be
an improvement, before starting to code it.

Benny

> [...]
>> _PLABEL_STOP,....
>>
>> Perhaps unintending Father/Mather would be easier, but then the columns
>> must be
>> reworked too.
>>
>> So, step one: you should make a consistent different column layout
>> which would
>> work.
>> Step tw, changing the labels and adding a write_parent, can then be
>> done quickly
>> without trial and error.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> > Would it be possible to adjust Relationships View so that individuals in
>> > the same generation are shown at the same indent level? I think this
>> > could easily be done just by bumping the content under Family one tab
>> > and it would make this view a lot clearer.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

I'm a better artist than a coder:

0. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-0.png

   The current layout distances the individual from his descendants.
   It also places the spouse in the same generation (indent level) of
   the parents.

1. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-1.png

   Adjusting indention aligns people in the same generation, a
   definite improvement. However other conflicts now become more
   obvious. The individual still has the wrong indention. A bigger
   issue is that the siblings are misnumbered--they are shown
   consecutively without regard to the main individual.(!)

2. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-2.png

   Now the individual is placed correctly with the siblings but no
   longer is shown with his family.(!)

These dilemmas are brought about by trying to show too much
information on a single screen. It is impossible to show a generation
above, a generation below, and the generation alongside an individual
without this basic conflict.

3. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-3.png

   Eliminating the individual's siblings removes the conflict. Sibling
   information is of no use on an individual's family screen anyway
   (even if we could somehow figure out how to display it accurately).
   Besides, if we really wanted to understand his siblings, we would
   simply click on their parents, whose family they are part of in the
   first place. Which leaves us to align everyone by generation here.

Bah, I've mentioned this issue in times past, didn't realize the
indentation would lead into it again. Until someone else is interested
in addressing this, nevermind.

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:30 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:

> > Whew, I started into this, but it's over my head. I'm not sure I
> > understand your step 1 below, are you meaning to re-formulate the
> > code to better lend itself to variable indentation?
>
> Don't worry, I always start with the most difficult explanation.
> Let's put it simply: the screen you look at is in reality a number
> of rows and column where the data is organized in, with some data
> spanning multiple columns.
>
> To change the design to a different layout, one needs to determine
> in which row and column the data should now go.
>
> So, for your suggestion; the best would be you open a spreadsheat,
> like excel, openoffice, and write down the information in excell so
> everything is visible for a person which has parents, partner, ....
>
> If the text looks nice in the spreadsheet, it will come out the same
> on screen. The question will then be, is this layout nicer? I,m
> afraid moving the children to the right will create a lot of empty
> space to the left which is unusual and might not be nice on the eye.
> Anyway, trying it in a spreadsheet and putting them side by side
> should enable you/others to determine if the change would be an
> improvement, before starting to code it.
>
> Benny
>
> > On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:44 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> [...]

Re: Relationships view indention

bm-5
Quoting Steve Hall <[hidden email]>:

> I'm a better artist than a coder:
>
> 0. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-0.png
>
>   The current layout distances the individual from his descendants.
>   It also places the spouse in the same generation (indent level) of
>   the parents.
>
> 1. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-1.png
>
>   Adjusting indention aligns people in the same generation, a
>   definite improvement. However other conflicts now become more
>   obvious. The individual still has the wrong indention. A bigger
>   issue is that the siblings are misnumbered--they are shown
>   consecutively without regard to the main individual.(!)

I actually like this approach.
Perhaps having the parents and siblings last would be better, as it can take a
lot of screen estate before you see this person families. You normally
are most
interested in the person and his families for edit. Using bold/color to see
individual in the siblings list is also a possibility.

Remember also that in the view menu one can select to not see the siblings.

The following approaches (2 and 3) don't work I think for a person in multiple
families (common in broken families, a person is child in perhaps 4 families,
with eg. only in one a birth relation to a father )

Benny

> 2. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-2.png
>
>   Now the individual is placed correctly with the siblings but no
>   longer is shown with his family.(!)
>
> These dilemmas are brought about by trying to show too much
> information on a single screen. It is impossible to show a generation
> above, a generation below, and the generation alongside an individual
> without this basic conflict.
>
> 3. http://www.dancingpaper.com/gramps-ui/relationship-view-3.png
>
>   Eliminating the individual's siblings removes the conflict. Sibling
>   information is of no use on an individual's family screen anyway
>   (even if we could somehow figure out how to display it accurately).
>   Besides, if we really wanted to understand his siblings, we would
>   simply click on their parents, whose family they are part of in the
>   first place. Which leaves us to align everyone by generation here.
>
> Bah, I've mentioned this issue in times past, didn't realize the
> indentation would lead into it again. Until someone else is interested
> in addressing this, nevermind.
>

> On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 23:30 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> > Whew, I started into this, but it's over my head. I'm not sure I
>> > understand your step 1 below, are you meaning to re-formulate the
>> > code to better lend itself to variable indentation?
>>
>> Don't worry, I always start with the most difficult explanation.
>> Let's put it simply: the screen you look at is in reality a number
>> of rows and column where the data is organized in, with some data
>> spanning multiple columns.
>>
>> To change the design to a different layout, one needs to determine
>> in which row and column the data should now go.
>>
>> So, for your suggestion; the best would be you open a spreadsheat,
>> like excel, openoffice, and write down the information in excell so
>> everything is visible for a person which has parents, partner, ....
>>
>> If the text looks nice in the spreadsheet, it will come out the same
>> on screen. The question will then be, is this layout nicer? I,m
>> afraid moving the children to the right will create a lot of empty
>> space to the left which is unusual and might not be nice on the eye.
>> Anyway, trying it in a spreadsheet and putting them side by side
>> should enable you/others to determine if the change would be an
>> improvement, before starting to code it.
>>
>> Benny
>>
>> > On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:44 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
>> [...]

Re: Relationships view indention

Duncan Lithgow-2
i generally think this would be good in principle. In practice it sounds
like a complex low priority task. For me it's important that GRAMPS
doesn't hog even more screen space - it uses a lot already making
navigating the many open windows trick some times.

So, logical indent yes, but how much indent is needed for the user to
see the structure? Probably not as much as we have now.

Duncan