Release 3.4 for Windows XP

tcorbet
I know that someday I am going to have to finally get off of Windows XP, but I did not realize that the pendulum had swung so far away.  Is there really a larger group of people running 64-bit enabled versions of Windows?  I guess it is at least so for those of you upon whom we depend to get us an installable version of the latest code.  Is there an expected date for 3.4 All-in-One for us old slackers running 32-bit Windows XP?  Thank you.

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Billie Walsh
On 05/29/2012 01:39 AM, Terry Corbet wrote:
> I know that someday I am going to have to finally get off of Windows XP,
> but I did not realize that the pendulum had swung so far away.  Is there
> really a larger group of people running 64-bit enabled versions of
> Windows?  I guess it is at least so for those of you upon whom we depend
> to get us an installable version of the latest code.  Is there an
> expected date for 3.4 All-in-One for us old slackers running 32-bit
> Windows XP?  Thank you.

I've got an old boat anchor sitting here running Windows 7/64 bit. I
wouldn't switch back to Windows full time, but I have to admit that
Windows 7 seems to be quite nice, for a Windows OS. I don't use it for
very much, but every once in a while I need Windows for something.

The last I heard anything about XP was that Microsoft was not planning
any more updates or "fixes". Don't quote me on that though.

--
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain
the  people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the

- Patrick  Henry -

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Josip
On 29.05.2012 08:39, Terry Corbet wrote:
> I know that someday I am going to have to finally get off of Windows XP, but I did not realize that the pendulum had swung so far away.  Is there really a larger group of people running 64-bit enabled versions of Windows?  I guess it is at least so for those of you upon whom we depend to get us an installable version of the latest code.  Is there an expected date for 3.4 All-in-One for us old slackers running 32-bit Windows XP?  Thank you.

By download statistic it is 10:1 ratio in favor of 32bit user.
Maybe that is reason why other projects (software) Gramps depends on is
not available in 64 bit Windows version (or not officially available).

Thing is that 3.4.0 Gramps version is quite broken on Windows so there
is no point to release it.

For when will it be fixed,
there is no time-line set
and if it is it will be crossed anyway :-)

--
Josip

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Ron Johnson
On 05/29/2012 09:15 AM, Josip wrote:
> On 29.05.2012 08:39, Terry Corbet wrote:
>> I know that someday I am going to have to finally get off of Windows XP, but I did not realize that the pendulum had swung so far away.  Is there really a larger group of people running 64-bit enabled versions of Windows?  I guess it is at least so for those of you upon whom we depend to get us an installable version of the latest code.  Is there an expected date for 3.4 All-in-One for us old slackers running 32-bit Windows XP?  Thank you.
>>

> By download statistic it is 10:1 ratio in favor of 32bit user.
> Maybe that is reason why other projects (software) Gramps depends on is
> not available in 64 bit Windows version (or not officially available).

Note that many Linux users get Gramps from their distro repositories.

--
"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be
done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Nick Hall-6
On 29/05/12 15:15, Josip wrote:
> Thing is that 3.4.0 Gramps version is quite broken on Windows so there
> is no point to release it.

What is the problem with the Windows version?  Is there a bug report for it?

I could only find - 5783: GrampsAIO32?

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5783

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Josip
On 29.05.2012 20:51, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/05/12 15:15, Josip wrote:
>> Thing is that 3.4.0 Gramps version is quite broken on Windows so there
>> is no point to release it.
>
> What is the problem with the Windows version?  Is there a bug report for it?
>
> I could only find - 5783: GrampsAIO32?
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5783

Is not that god reason ;-)
5785 will show for most users really quickly for example.
(it is quickest response i ever get from aio users)

Anyway i don't feel comfortable making something i know it will not work
for many users.

How about instead pull code from branch instead using tagged revision.
Branch should be pretty stable by definition.

--
Josip

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Nick Hall-6
On 29/05/12 20:14, Josip wrote:

> On 29.05.2012 20:51, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 29/05/12 15:15, Josip wrote:
>>> Thing is that 3.4.0 Gramps version is quite broken on Windows so there
>>> is no point to release it.
>> What is the problem with the Windows version?  Is there a bug report for it?
>>
>> I could only find - 5783: GrampsAIO32?
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5783
>>
> Is not that god reason ;-)
> 5785 will show for most users really quickly for example.
> (it is quickest response i ever get from aio users)
>
> Anyway i don't feel comfortable making something i know it will not work
> for many users.
>
> How about instead pull code from branch instead using tagged revision.
> Branch should be pretty stable by definition.

I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
print statements to use the logging system.

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Benny Malengier
Perhaps a windows users that is good at installing from source can extend
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_installer
and write a recent (2012) how-to-install gramps from source in windows, so without the installer. Like that it is clear for people who don't want to wait, what they have to do. And we might attrack some developers on windows, that fix bugs before release.

I recently installed scientific software in python on windows (from source), and it are 3 A4 pages to explain how to install it, as opposed to the 1 alinea for installation in linux, so definitely not the easiest path, but possible.

Benny

2012/5/29 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
On 29/05/12 20:14, Josip wrote:
> On 29.05.2012 20:51, Nick Hall wrote:
>> On 29/05/12 15:15, Josip wrote:
>>> Thing is that 3.4.0 Gramps version is quite broken on Windows so there
>>> is no point to release it.
>> What is the problem with the Windows version?  Is there a bug report for it?
>>
>> I could only find - 5783: GrampsAIO32?
>>
>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5783
>>
> Is not that god reason ;-)
> 5785 will show for most users really quickly for example.
> (it is quickest response i ever get from aio users)
>
> Anyway i don't feel comfortable making something i know it will not work
> for many users.
>
> How about instead pull code from branch instead using tagged revision.
> Branch should be pretty stable by definition.

I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
print statements to use the logging system.

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Nick Hall-6 wrote
On 29/05/12 20:14, Josip wrote:
> Anyway i don't feel comfortable making something i know it will not work
> for many users.

I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
print statements to use the logging system.
I am looking at how to change the logging system so it calls the windows event system - I have a possible patch. Nick, thanks for the offer, I'll run it past you.

But I desperately need someone who would be able to test on Windows. Who constructs the Windows AIO release?

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Josip
On 29.05.2012 22:26, Nick Hall wrote:

> I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
> print statements to use the logging system.
>
> Nick.

Neither do i, just quickly check result in VM.
I was thinking more: someone else will write it, i will pack it :-)

--
Josip

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Josip
On 29.05.2012 23:55, Tim Lyons wrote:
> But I desperately need someone who would be able to test on Windows. Who
> constructs the Windows AIO release?

I am the guilty one for that :-)

--
Josip

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Helge@Gramps
I can do parts of the test job for 64bit on Win7 and using this Windows and also Windows XP SP332 bit using the Win7-VM. But it will always take a little bit time.
But I'm sorry my knowledge is to low to do a MSI or some thing like this.

I tried by an quick check the source of Gramps 3.4 using the Windows environment of the AOI32 from Gramps 3.3 and got a mostly running Gramps (Up today I saw the same issues as for the 64 bit version; I'm still not ready to post all findings). But I'm not sure if this is an allowed handling. Would this be a good environment? I think Josip could have the answer.
Going the same way for an English Gramps by using the sources from sourceforge could be a way for XP users to use Gramps 3.4 . Other languages are more difficult because of the need of translations (.po and .mo files...). I do this by some batch scripts. But I assume that not so easy for everyone.

-Helge

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

2012/5/29 Josip <[hidden email]>
On 29.05.2012 22:26, Nick Hall wrote:

> I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
> print statements to use the logging system.
>
> Nick.

Neither do i, just quickly check result in VM.
I was thinking more: someone else will write it, i will pack it :-)

The problem with windows seems to be that many people are using it, but it is not a preferred development system if you don't use visual studio.

In the past Brian also worked on windows, don't know if that is still the case.

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Mary Lynch-3
I would be happy to test gramps on XP or Vista.

Mary

On 30/05/2012 08:14, Benny Malengier wrote:

2012/5/29 Josip <[hidden email]>
On 29.05.2012 22:26, Nick Hall wrote:

> I don't use Windows myself, but let me know if you need any changing the
> print statements to use the logging system.
>
> Nick.

Neither do i, just quickly check result in VM.
I was thinking more: someone else will write it, i will pack it :-)

The problem with windows seems to be that many people are using it, but it is not a preferred development system if you don't use visual studio.

In the past Brian also worked on windows, don't know if that is still the case.

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

> The problem with windows seems to be that many people are using it,
> but it is not a preferred development system if you don't use visual
> studio.
Right. I still use Windows XP on my desktop, and Windows 7 on my laptop,
and PAF for genealogy.

I have the latest Xubuntu installed on both for Gramps development, and
I would really like to have the new 3.4 running on Windows too, because
I like the new Citation views. But for the moment it's much easier to
reboot to Xubuntu, and do all the work there.

That said, I can imagine using cygwin for development on windows.

regards,

Re: Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Benny Malengier
Indeed, we would need testing of the development version before release, instead of waiting for a package and a release before doing some tests.

For windows, I would suggest  Notepad++, powershell and MinGW (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files), and then build from there. To create a wiki page for Win 7 or WinXP with all the steps starting from a clean install of windows would be a good addition.

For my own windows development, I wrote down the following some time ago:

1. Install Notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ We call it text-editor
2. Find the powershell program in your start menu. We call it terminal
3. We need to install python. I installed: http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php and install the free version of the Enthought Python Distribution (EPD)} for windows (32 of 64 bit)
4. Now we install the gcc compiler with the MinGW package
4.1 Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files and download MinGW installer (normally link above with text latest version)
4.2 Go to downloads,  doubble-click mingw installer.
4.3 add compiler to the windows path, following  http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm, so for Win 7:
 * Right click  'My Computer'  click 'Properties'
 * Click on 'Advanced System settings'
 * Click on 'Environment Variables'
 * You see screen with at bottom list of variables, scroll down and look for 'Path', select and double click to edit
 * WARNING: don't remove anything!! Go to the end of the line, and add, starting with  ; an extra directory. For my computer this is
        ;C:\MinGW\bin\
4.4 At this moment MinGW contains an error we need to correct now
* Open Notepad$++$ and open the file C:\Python27\Lib\distutils\cygwinccompiler.py
* This file contains an error, it uses the compiler flag -mno-cywin, which is wwrong.
First save a copy of the file (Menu File->Safe copy), then edit the file: search for  -mno-cywin, and remove it _everywhere_
* save the file

5. EPD misses a key library form of python, so create it by following http://wiki.cython.org/InstallingOnWindows
5.1 Download python27.def.  If you want, you can make it yourself: Download pexport programm, in powershell do

 pexports C:\Python27\python27.dll > python27.def

5.2. Now you have python27.def, create the .a library by doing:
 dlltool --dllname C:\Python27\python27.dll --def python27.def  --output-lib C:\Python27\libs\libpython27.a

6. When you download python libraries, you should now be able to install them with the powershell command

 python setup.py install build --compiler=mingw32

So, above gives you editor, shell, python exe, and compiler to compile extra things. With this you have all tools to build the requirements for Gramps.
For Gramps, you now need gtk. I have no experience in going further, so if somebody can extend this workflow up to the point of running Gramps?
Probably it will be needed to compile things, and then you need to be sure that can be found by the compiler. What I do is:

* copy needed dll's to C:\Python27\PCbuild (or to C:\Python27\Libs), and copy the include directory with header files to  C:\Python27\PC (or to C:\Python27\include).
* edit the path variable as done above so these directories are found. So path should be edited in total to contain at the end:
;C:\Python27;C:\Python27\PCbuild
Replace here PCbuild with Libs if you chose Libs to copy stuff. Normally now errors during compiling that stuff is not found will be fixed like this.

Benny

2012/5/30 Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>

> The problem with windows seems to be that many people are using it,
> but it is not a preferred development system if you don't use visual
> studio.
Right. I still use Windows XP on my desktop, and Windows 7 on my laptop,
and PAF for genealogy.

I have the latest Xubuntu installed on both for Gramps development, and
I would really like to have the new 3.4 running on Windows too, because
I like the new Citation views. But for the moment it's much easier to
reboot to Xubuntu, and do all the work there.

That said, I can imagine using cygwin for development on windows.

regards,

Re: [Gramps-devel] Release 3.4 for Windows XP

jerome
Note, the 'old/previous' installation with dependencies should still
work for most Windows users.

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_installer#Installation

Benny Malengier a écrit :

> [...]
>
>     I have the latest Xubuntu installed on both for Gramps development, and
>     I would really like to have the new 3.4 running on Windows too, because
>     I like the new Citation views. But for the moment it's much easier to
>     reboot to Xubuntu, and do all the work there.
>
>     That said, I can imagine using cygwin for development on windows.
>
>     regards,
>
>     Enno

>     Live Security Virtual Conference
>     Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
>     threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>     Discussions
>     will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
>     malware
>     threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

> Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [Gramps-devel] Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Peter Landgren

I have tried the  "old" way without AIO. But Gramps windows installer is
no longer available
for Gramps 3.3.2 or later.

/Peter

2012/5/30 Peter Landgren <[hidden email]>

I have tried the  "old" way without AIO. But Gramps windows installer is
no longer available
for Gramps 3.3.2 or later.

You don't need an installer, python is pure python.
Just download the tar.gz file from sourceforge, extract it to a directory C:\gramps
Rename const.py.in to const.py in that directory (open the file and edit it if you need to set some constants)
Then if python is installed and dependencies installed good, go with powershell to C:\gramps:

cd C:\gramps

and type:

python gramps.py

which should start gramps up.

if python is not found, make sure it is on your system path, see my other mail to edit the path

Benny

/Peter

Jérôme skrev 2012-05-30 16:28:
> [...]
>>      I would really like to have the new 3.4 running on Windows too, because
>>      I like the new Citation views. But for the moment it's much easier to
>>      reboot to Xubuntu, and do all the work there.
>>
>>      That said, I can imagine using cygwin for development on windows.
>>
>>      regards,
>>
>>      Enno
>>

>>      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>      Live Security Virtual Conference
>>      Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and
>>      threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>>      Discussions
>>      will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
>>      malware
>>      threats. http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfrnl04242012/114/50122263/

>> Live Security Virtual Conference

Re: [Gramps-devel] Release 3.4 for Windows XP

Should we try to build one?

http://gramps.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gramps/branches/maintenance/gramps34/windows/BUILD_WIN32.TXT