Release Candidate

Nick Hall
Devs,

I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is cleared.
We can start the string freeze for the translators at the same point.

At the moment bug #10507 is the only remaining bug on the roadmap:

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=96

Are there any others we should add?

Any other comments or suggestions?

Re: Release Candidate

John Ralls-2

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:29 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Devs,
>
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the same point.
>
> At the moment bug #10507 is the only remaining bug on the roadmap:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php?version_id=96
>
> Are there any others we should add?
>
> Any other comments or suggestions?

Nick,

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10514 should probably go on the roadmap, and part of fixing it should be to make sure that there aren't any other files whose strings aren't getting picked up for translation.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Release Candidate

Nick Hall
On 23/03/18 18:48, John Ralls wrote:
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=10514  should probably go on the roadmap, and part of fixing it should be to make sure that there aren't any other files whose strings aren't getting picked up for translation.

Added.

Re: Release Candidate

On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

prculley
I am on the road for the next week, so it will have to wait until after I get back. Unless someone else wants to volunteer.

Paul Culley

On Sun, May 13, 2018, 3:51 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

prculley
Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released.  Translators should check and see if translations need updating.

Paul C.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am on the road for the next week, so it will have to wait until after I get back. Unless someone else wants to volunteer.

Paul Culley

On Sun, May 13, 2018, 3:51 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

Stephen Adams
Thanks for your work Paul.

I have previously seen that Windows releases are done by a different volunteer, but would it be typical to expect a Windows release of a RC edition?

Thanks,
Steve

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released.  Translators should check and see if translations need updating.

Paul C.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am on the road for the next week, so it will have to wait until after I get back. Unless someone else wants to volunteer.

Paul Culley

On Sun, May 13, 2018, 3:51 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

prculley
I was not planning on doing a Windows release at this time; as I understand it, the release candidate is primarily an opportunity for translators to update the translations, prior to an official release.  No more changes that might affect the translations are allowed for now.

If otherwise informed, I might find the time for a 32-bit Windows AIO release...

Paul C.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Stephen Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your work Paul.

I have previously seen that Windows releases are done by a different volunteer, but would it be typical to expect a Windows release of a RC edition?

Thanks,
Steve

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released.  Translators should check and see if translations need updating.

Paul C.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am on the road for the next week, so it will have to wait until after I get back. Unless someone else wants to volunteer.

Paul Culley

On Sun, May 13, 2018, 3:51 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

Stephen Adams
No worries Paul, I'm a relatively new person here and the beta has been pretty stable, overall.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was not planning on doing a Windows release at this time; as I understand it, the release candidate is primarily an opportunity for translators to update the translations, prior to an official release.  No more changes that might affect the translations are allowed for now.

If otherwise informed, I might find the time for a 32-bit Windows AIO release...

Paul C.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Stephen Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your work Paul.

I have previously seen that Windows releases are done by a different volunteer, but would it be typical to expect a Windows release of a RC edition?

Thanks,
Steve

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released.  Translators should check and see if translations need updating.

Paul C.

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am on the road for the next week, so it will have to wait until after I get back. Unless someone else wants to volunteer.

Paul Culley

On Sun, May 13, 2018, 3:51 PM Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23/03/18 17:29, Nick Hall wrote:
> I suggest that we release 5.0.0-rc1 as soon as the roadmap is
> cleared.  We can start the string freeze for the translators at the
> same point.

The roadmap has now been cleared.

Paul, do you have time for the 5.0.0-rc1 release?

Re: Release Candidate

John Ralls-2

On May 22, 2018, at 7:05 PM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

FYI Conversation from reddit about this release, with the following question to myself that I have not answered:

/u/sam-m888 How can the project expect people to test the release candidate without telling people and creating packages for each platform? from dm1407

Although I believe saviguardian's answer just about covers it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gramps/comments/8kvn1a/gramps_500rc1_has_been_released/

AnnouncementGramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released (self.gramps)

submitted 2 days ago * by gumr89s0Gramps

Congratulation to the Gramps team.

From the Gramps developer mailing list:

    Gramps 5.0.0-rc1 has been released. Translators should check and see if translations need updating.

    Paul C.

    https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/36322015/

Fixes an additional 34 issues

    https://gramps-project.org/bugs/changelog_page.php?version_id=96

Downloads and changelog

    https://github.com/gramps-project/gramps/releases/tag/v5.0.0-rc1

Waiting on official public notice :) Not planned

This is the Release candidate and not the final Gramps 5.0, but should be good enough for use and testing before the final release.

As always Backup using your old Gramps version before upgrading to this one.

Report any issues to the Gramps Project bug tracker.

Direct Downloads available for:

    Linux (Source code)

    Debian (.deb) file (Not available yet) Not planned

    Apple MacOS Intel (.dmg) (Not available yet) Not planned

    Microsoft Windows 32 bit AIO (Not available yet) Not planned

    Microsoft Windows 64 bit AIO (Not available yet) Not planned

Another way of showing your support is to join Github and Star the Gramps projects source code so that other developers can see that people are actively using the program and would like it improved.
[–]CivilPaleontologist

How long does it normally take for the Mac version to become available? Btw that has to be one of the briefest release announcements I've ever seen!
[–]dm1407

    How long does it normally take for the Mac version to become available?

Normally in the past releases the release manager notifies the package makers for each platform, which does not seem to have happened this time.

    Waiting on official public notice :)

I believe that's it, this is the announcement that only went to the developers mailing list and even then it was only tacked on to the end of another email chain!

Communication it seems has deteriorated :( But keep in mind that like here everyone is a volunteer and I sincerely thank them for the efforts they make.

/u/sam-m888 How can the project expect people to test the release candidate without telling people and creating packages for each platform?
[–]call_me_dav

Like a lot of open source projects, the best thing to do is automate everything possible, which takes someone with the right skills and time.

Also only 24 hours has passed, so give it a week.
[–]gumr89s0

    I was not planning on doing a Windows release at this time; as I understand it, the release candidate is primarily an opportunity for translators to update the translations, prior to an official release. No more changes that might affect the translations are allowed for now.

    If otherwise informed, I might find the time for a 32-bit Windows AIO release...

    Paul C.

    http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Release-Candidate-tp4681880p4682163.html

Nope, looks like no one apart from developers will perplexedly get to test the release candidate guess someone failed to get the memo on what a release candidate is actually for; more so than a beta or alpha release!
[–]saviguardian

It really depends on if you intend to test the release as usually only the final release is meant for the public and all the others are only for testing as many issues may happen with your data, hence why backup are important.

    Before every official "x.0" stable release of a new major version of Gramps, there are usually a handful of alpha releases, beta releases and release candidates that are made available. These releases are not yet stable enough for production use but are essential milestones on the way towards the official release. They allow a much wider pool of users to test the latest code and provide feedback before the official stable release. These releases should only be downloaded and used by developers very familiar with Gramps or those wishing to help find bugs in the software.

    Explanation in an email from a past(deceased) Gramps developer.

From: Reddit <[hidden email]>
Date: 22 May 2018 at 12:03
Subject: [reddit] 1 new message from u/dm1407
To: sam-m888

You have 1 new message in your Reddit Inbox
/u/dm1407 mentioned you in a thread • reply

    Go to Reddit Inbox for u/sam-m888

    If you would not like to receive emails from Reddit in the future, unsubscribe.
Reddit Inc. 548 Market St #16093, San Francisco, CA 94104-5401, United States

Actually, I don’t remember the release manager *ever* notifying me ahead of time, never mind holding the release until the Mac bundle was ready. No change this time.

I had a few dependency build issues to deal with plus I was busy on another project (the California Genealogical Society website instead of GnuCash for  a change, so I didn’t get the bundle finished until a couple of hours ago. It’s up on Github and SourceForge now.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Release Candidate

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Thanks for a super-quick Mac release. I have just given it a super-quick
spin, and it seems to run OK for me.

regards,
Tim.

(Still has the problem that it sometimes ignores mouse clicks, and you have
to move the window to get it to respond again, but that has been a problem
for a very long time. Possibly related to the Mac OS X problem of failing to
drop things on drag and drop, for which the solution is to sleep the screen
for a moment.).

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html

Re: Release Candidate

On 23/05/18 03:05, Sam Manzi wrote:
> How can the project expect people to test the release candidate
> without telling people and creating packages for each platform? from
> dm1407

Ideally we should create Windows and Mac packages for the release candidate.

It should be stable now, and I don't expect any major fixes before the
final release.