Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Stéphane Charette-2
This is not the final release of 2.2.9.  But it is the release
candidate.  You can download it from:

http://gramps-project.org/test/gramps-2.2.9.tar.gz

(16.3 MB)

If no new problems are reported against this version, we should be
good to release 2.2.9 shortly.  Thanks to everyone who has helped out.

For the non-developer users who want to help test the candidate, here
are some quick instructions:
$ mkdir test229
$ cd test229
$ tar zxf ~/Desktop/gramps-2.2.9.tar.gz
$ cd gramps-2.2.9
$ ./autogen.sh
$ make
$ python2.5 src/gramps.py
(also see http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Running_a_development_version_of_Gramps
which describes some of the other packages you'll likely need)

Stéphane Charette

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Benny Malengier
Should we send this to the announce list too, so that packagers and such which are only on the announce list know 2.2.9 is in the pipeline?

I would suggest we do.

Benny

2007/10/16, Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Alex Roitman
On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 22:22 +0200, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Should we send this to the announce list too, so that packagers and
> such which are only on the announce list know 2.2.9 is in the
> pipeline?

No, this would not be a good idea IMO. Packagers and such
are on devel list anyway.

The -announce is for the users who only want to know when to upgrade.
Any more involvement assumes the person is on either -users
or -devel list.

People on -announce expect very low traffic. In the past
we strictly adhered to one message per release.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Mike Mylonas
On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:01 -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> This is not the final release of 2.2.9.  But it is the release
> candidate.  You can download it from:
>
> http://gramps-project.org/test/gramps-2.2.9.tar.gz

Good work guys, just a suggestion

If possible can we please tag the file name with a RC name so that it is
obvious that this is a release candidate (also helpful if we have
multiple release candidates for a given version)

For example name the candidates something like gramps-2.2.9-RC1.tar.gz

Cheers
Mike

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Stéphane Charette-2
> If possible can we please tag the file name with a RC name so that it is
> obvious that this is a release candidate (also helpful if we have
> multiple release candidates for a given version)
>
> For example name the candidates something like gramps-2.2.9-RC1.tar.gz

Good suggestion.  I'll update the wiki page so I remember next time I
do a release.  If you run this version, note that it does report
"2.2.9-rc-1".  I didn't think to do this with the .tar.gz filename.
Sorry.

Stéphane

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Jay Treacy
On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 10:04:22AM +1300, Mike wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:01 -0700, St??phane Charette wrote:
> > This is not the final release of 2.2.9.  But it is the release
> > candidate.  You can download it from:
> >
> > http://gramps-project.org/test/gramps-2.2.9.tar.gz
>
> Good work guys, just a suggestion
>
> If possible can we please tag the file name with a RC name so that it is
> obvious that this is a release candidate (also helpful if we have
> multiple release candidates for a given version)
>
> For example name the candidates something like gramps-2.2.9-RC1.tar.gz

As a packager, I would prefer that releases (even release candidates
as they are sometimes packaged and shared) be strictly increasing.
Since '2.2.9-RC1' > '2.2.9' I would prefer a different naming scheme.

Some possiblities:
2.2.8+svn20071016          my suggestion
2.2.8-2.2.9RC1
2.2.8.99

Any other suggestions?

--
James Treacy

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Stéphane Charette-2
> Some possiblities:
> 2.2.8+svn20071016          my suggestion
> 2.2.8-2.2.9RC1
> 2.2.8.99

We've been at 2.2.9 for months now.  Literally starting a few hours
after 2.2.8 was released, the source code was incremented to say
2.2.9.  To release the current 2.2.9 candidate as 2.2.8-something
would mean we'd have to go backwards in our version numbers.

Also note that some of the guys are already working on 3.0.0 -- not
2.99.  When it comes time to release, shouldn't it be released as
3.0.0, not 3.0.1?  Or does it mean that trunk should actually say 2.99
instead of 3.0.0?

Stéphane

Re: [Gramps-users] Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Stéphane Charette-2
> What is this. I can not get GRAMPS to run in my Opensuse 10.3. with any
> of the files that I have found to work with my other suse systems, from
> opensuse site. I have tried it with the 1 click, I have tried Yast, but
> it gave me a memory segment. fault.
> But when I downloaded this version, it works, after that I had take care
> of all the missing parts.
> An Gramps runs fine.

I really don't know what to tell you.  As far as I know, we've made no
fixes that were specific to OpenSUSE...?  Someone correct me if I'm
wrong.

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 22:36 -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:

> > What is this. I can not get GRAMPS to run in my Opensuse 10.3. with any
> > of the files that I have found to work with my other suse systems, from
> > opensuse site. I have tried it with the 1 click, I have tried Yast, but
> > it gave me a memory segment. fault.
> > But when I downloaded this version, it works, after that I had take care
> > of all the missing parts.
> > An Gramps runs fine.
>
> I really don't know what to tell you.  As far as I know, we've made no
> fixes that were specific to OpenSUSE...?  Someone correct me if I'm
> wrong.
I think this is explained by the workaround for the python-gnome-extras
with gtkspell module. This problem showed up in gutsy and then
in Debian sid. So probably OpenSuSE 10.3 is the same.

Alex

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 21:38 -0700, Stéphane Charette wrote:
> > Some possiblities:
> > 2.2.8+svn20071016          my suggestion
> > 2.2.8-2.2.9RC1
> > 2.2.8.99
>
> We've been at 2.2.9 for months now.  Literally starting a few hours
> after 2.2.8 was released, the source code was incremented to say
> 2.2.9.  To release the current 2.2.9 candidate as 2.2.8-something
> would mean we'd have to go backwards in our version numbers.

For what it's worth, we can stick with the existing scheme.
The svn code is versioned as 2.2.9-0SVN$DATE
The release candidate can be 2.2.0-01RC or something like this.
As long as it is "greater than" 2.2.9-0 and "less than" 2.2.9-1
it should be fine.

> Also note that some of the guys are already working on 3.0.0 -- not
> 2.99.  When it comes time to release, shouldn't it be released as
> 3.0.0, not 3.0.1?  Or does it mean that trunk should actually say 2.99
> instead of 3.0.0?

It's 3.0.0-0SVN$DATE so far. We can do -01RC and then -1
for the actual release.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://gramps-project.org

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Duncan Lithgow-2

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 22:22 +0200, Benny Malengier wrote:
> Should we send this to the announce list too, so that packagers and
> such which are only on the announce list know 2.2.9 is in the
> pipeline?
>
> I would suggest we do.

I'm with Alex, only stable releases to announce.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 22:09 -0400, James A. Treacy wrote:
> Some possiblities:
> 2.2.8+svn20071016          my suggestion
> 2.2.8-2.2.9RC1
> 2.2.8.99
>
> Any other suggestions?
Personally I think the best I've seen is the linux kernel naming scheme.
even number = stable release
odd number = unstable testing release

This could mean that the version for the next stable is 2.2.10 and the
next testing release of the 2.2

Testing releases would increment such as
* 2.2.9.1 or 2.2.9-1
* 2.2.9.2 or 2.2.9-2 ...
* 2.2.10rc1
leading up to
* 2.2.10

I prefer them with the dash, but maybe that has some special meaning?

...or just call the next stable 2.3. There are so many fixes _and_
features.

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Don Allingham-3
Up to this point, the GRAMPS release numbering scheme has been:

 X.Y.Z

X changes when the default database format changes. So 1.Y.Z was for the
XML based database, 2.Y.Z was for the GRDB format, and 3.Y.Z is for the
new DBDIR format.

Like the Linux kernel, the second digit indicates stable vs.
development. You will notice that we had a 2.0.Z and a 2.2.Z, but not a
2.1.Z. This is because everything in the 2.1.Z branch was experimental,
and not generally released. If you look at the 3.0 branch, the version
number currently listed is 2.3.Z, indicating a unstable release. This
second digit changes whenever we have a significant API or UI change.
For example, 2.2 introduced shared events, which changed the API and the
UI (but the database format remained GRDB).

The last digit is used for minor releases, typically bug fixes and minor
features. Obviously, the 2.2.9 release falls into this category.

What we have used for packaging is a fourth digit to indicate package
release. So, for example, we release 2.2.9-1 as debian or ubuntu
package. If the package needs to change for some reason, but the release
hasn't changed, we release a 2.2.9-2.

For packaging purposes, we have naming our release candidates (when we
create one, and we normally have not for minor releases), we have been
following the convention of:

  X.Y.Z-0RC#

So, following this naming convention, the 2.2.9 release client would be
called 2.2.9-0RC1. This allows package managers to handle the versions
properly.

Don

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 11:02 -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
> Up to this point, the GRAMPS release numbering scheme has been:
>
>  X.Y.Z
After reading Don's post I withdraw my slightly confused suggestion - Don is the man and his system looks fine to me.

So, can we rename the current file as 2.2.9-0RC1 please?

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Don Allingham-3
No, Brian is the man. I'm retired (does that make me the "old man"?). I
was just providing historical information. If the project decides to
change the numbering scheme, then that is up to the project. I was just
trying to explain what we have done in the past.

Don

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 19:28 +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 11:02 -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
> > Up to this point, the GRAMPS release numbering scheme has been:
> >
> >  X.Y.Z
> After reading Don's post I withdraw my slightly confused suggestion - Don is the man and his system looks fine to me.
>
> So, can we rename the current file as 2.2.9-0RC1 please?
>
> Duncan

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Brian Matherly
Don,

Well said.

<snip>
>Like the Linux kernel, the second digit indicates stable vs.
>development.
<snip>

The Linux kernel hasn't used this antiquated convention for years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel#Version_numbering

More and more projects are moving away from it. I think they are finding that is adds very little value over just calling something a "alpha" or "beta".

>What we have used for packaging is a fourth digit to indicate package
>release. So, for example, we release 2.2.9-1 as debian or ubuntu
>package. If the package needs to change for some reason, but the
 release

>hasn't changed, we release a 2.2.9-2.
>
>For packaging purposes, we have naming our release candidates (when we
>create one, and we normally have not for minor releases), we have been
>following the convention of:
>
>  X.Y.Z-0RC#
>
>So, following this naming convention, the 2.2.9 release client would be
>called 2.2.9-0RC1. This allows package managers to handle the versions
>properly.

This is a common (and proven) solution to the problem. Let's try to stick to this when we can.

~Brian

Re: Release candidate available for 2.2.9

Stéphane Charette-2

> >  X.Y.Z-0RC#
> >
> >So, following this naming convention, the 2.2.9 release client would be
> >called 2.2.9-0RC1. This allows package managers to handle the versions
> >properly.
>
> This is a common (and proven) solution to the problem. Let's try to stick to this
> when we can.

This is how I've now documented the process on the wiki page
describing the steps to release.

I've refrained from renaming the file this time since I'd already sent
out the e-mail with the full URL.  I'll get it right the next time.

Stéphane

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 11:02:35AM -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
> So, following this naming convention, the 2.2.9 release client would be
> called 2.2.9-0RC1. This allows package managers to handle the versions
> properly.

I would be happy with this suggestion.

--
James Treacy