Remote Desktop access from Android

Gazza

Anyone accessing their Mint Desktop from an Android App?

I am using the default Vino Remote Desktop on Cinnamon 18.2 and accessing it from my Linux Mint laptop ok using gvncviewer. Now I would now like to connect from my Android phone. I have the "VNC Viewer for Android" App (and have tried a couple of others) but the connection fails with the message "VNC connection failed! Server did not offer supported security type". My searches seem to indicate it is an encryption problem but I haven't found a solution yet.
Is it possible to use Vino and connect from an Android app?

Cheers
Garry

Re: Remote Desktop access from Android

Ron Johnson
On 11/26/2017 02:20 AM, Garry Seeley wrote:

Anyone accessing their Mint Desktop from an Android App?

I am using the default Vino Remote Desktop on Cinnamon 18.2 and accessing it from my Linux Mint laptop ok using gvncviewer. Now I would now like to connect from my Android phone. I have the "VNC Viewer for Android" App (and have tried a couple of others) but the connection fails with the message "VNC connection failed! Server did not offer supported security type". My searches seem to indicate it is an encryption problem but I haven't found a solution yet.
Is it possible to use Vino and connect from an Android app?

Someone here might know, but you'll probably get better/more answers at askubuntu.com

Re: Remote Desktop access from Android

Peter Merchant
On 26/11/17 08:45, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 11/26/2017 02:20 AM, Garry Seeley wrote:

Anyone accessing their Mint Desktop from an Android App?

I am using the default Vino Remote Desktop on Cinnamon 18.2 and accessing it from my Linux Mint laptop ok using gvncviewer. Now I would now like to connect from my Android phone. I have the "VNC Viewer for Android" App (and have tried a couple of others) but the connection fails with the message "VNC connection failed! Server did not offer supported security type". My searches seem to indicate it is an encryption problem but I haven't found a solution yet.
Is it possible to use Vino and connect from an Android app?

Someone here might know, but you'll probably get better/more answers at askubuntu.com

Possibly, but if Garry can find an answer and then access gramps remotely, it would be interesting as an academic exercise.

Peter M.

Fwd: Re: Remote Desktop access from Android (to Gramps)

Gazza

As Peter thought the answer to my wayward question may be interesting. Yes this is easily do-able!

I'm now able to remotely access the desktop on my home computer and open and edited Gramps.(although that was not the primary reason for wanting remote access).

I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and used this guide to install and setup x11vnc https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2334

I then installed 'VNC viewer for Android' on my phone from the Google App store and entered my IP address (DNS redirect address) and vnc password, hit connect and I was there. It is surprisingly usable even when on the mobile network. I don't expect anyone to make major changes to Gramps this way but it could be useful for checking some detail or other or making a minimum number of changes. Using a tablet would of cause be much easier than my 5.5" mobile.

Cheers
Garry

On 11/26/2017 02:20 AM, Garry Seeley wrote:

Anyone accessing their Mint Desktop from an Android App?

I am using the default Vino Remote Desktop on Cinnamon 18.2 and accessing it from my Linux Mint laptop ok using gvncviewer. Now I would now like to connect from my Android phone. I have the "VNC Viewer for Android" App (and have tried a couple of others) but the connection fails with the message "VNC connection failed! Server did not offer supported security type". My searches seem to indicate it is an encryption problem but I haven't found a solution yet.
Is it possible to use Vino and connect from an Android app?

Someone here might know, but you'll probably get better/more answers at askubuntu.com

Possibly, but if Garry can find an answer and then access gramps remotely, it would be interesting as an academic exercise.

Peter M.

Attached Message Part (278 bytes) Download Attachment
Attached Message Part (266 bytes) Download Attachment
NdK

Re: Fwd: Re: Remote Desktop access from Android (to Gramps)

NdK
Il 27/11/2017 07:58, Garry Seeley ha scritto:

> I then installed 'VNC viewer for Android' on my phone from the Google
> App store and entered my IP address (DNS redirect address) and vnc
> password, hit connect and I was there. It is surprisingly usable even
Err... Remember that VNC is quite insecure when used over open networks
(password sent in the clear, just to say one -- tightvnc uses weak crypto).

I'll probably do a Gramps install on a RPi to be left on, but I'll
access it through a VPN...

BYtE,
 Diego

GRamps on Rpi

phil wharram

Hi

Got Gramps running on RPi3 with standard Raspbian install anybody tried
it with Ubuntu and what are pro's/cons

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 27/11/2017 08:50, NdK wrote:

> Il 27/11/2017 07:58, Garry Seeley ha scritto:
>
>> I then installed 'VNC viewer for Android' on my phone from the Google
>> App store and entered my IP address (DNS redirect address) and vnc
>> password, hit connect and I was there. It is surprisingly usable even
> Err... Remember that VNC is quite insecure when used over open networks
> (password sent in the clear, just to say one -- tightvnc uses weak crypto).
>
> I'll probably do a Gramps install on a RPi to be left on, but I'll
> access it through a VPN...
>
> BYtE,
>   Diego

Re: GRamps on Rpi

Brian Grawburg

I also have it on a Pi3 as well as my Debian 7 desktop. The version on the Pi is newer than on my desktop.

The Pi version is in preparation for a genealogy class next spring I will be co-leading at the museum I work for.

Brian Grawburg

Wilson, NC

Sent from a PC running Debian 7, 64-bit Linux and LibreOffice. (No one needs to use MS Office!)