Removal of gramplets.

Erik P. Olsen
How do I remove a gramplet that have installed for testing purpose? I actually want to
remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to remove it.

Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc.Eng.
Solsortvej 30
DK-2000 Frederiksberg
Denmark

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:53:16 +0100
"Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Erik,

>remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to
>remove it.

There isn't a way to do so in Gramps (AFAICT), you can only _hide_ it
from the Plugin Manager.

To remove a plugin, go to ~/.gramps/GrampsNN/plugins (see note) and
delete the relevant directory and any .ini file that may have been
generated.  Based on your X-Mailer header, I suspect that you use Linux.
For Windows, or Macs, I wouldn't know where to look.

Note:  GrampsNN will be based on whichever version of Gramps you're
using.  I have Gramps50 but you might have something else.  Gramps42 for
example.

--
 Regards  _
You're not so safe in the safety of your room

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Hi Erik

In your user directory, there will the folder with your Gramps version
and then a plugin directory. Delete the TimelinePedigreeView directory
found there.

In windows it is /appdata/roaming/gramps/gramps30/plugins

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory

HTH Dave
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:49 PM Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do I remove a gramplet that have installed for testing purpose? I actually want to
> remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to remove it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc.Eng.
> Solsortvej 30
> DK-2000 Frederiksberg
> Denmark

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Dave Scheipers
The directory should be gramps50 or gramps42. It has been quite awhile
since Gramps 3.0.
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:34 PM Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Erik
>
> In your user directory, there will the folder with your Gramps version
> and then a plugin directory. Delete the TimelinePedigreeView directory
> found there.
>
> In windows it is /appdata/roaming/gramps/gramps30/plugins
>
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_User_Directory
>
> HTH Dave
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 12:49 PM Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > How do I remove a gramplet that have installed for testing purpose? I actually want to
> > remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to remove it.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc.Eng.
> > Solsortvej 30
> > DK-2000 Frederiksberg
> > Denmark

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Erik P. Olsen
On 2018-11-29 at 18:11:47 Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:53:16 +0100
> "Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Erik,
>
> >remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to
> >remove it.
>
> There isn't a way to do so in Gramps (AFAICT), you can only _hide_ it
> from the Plugin Manager.
>
> To remove a plugin, go to ~/.gramps/GrampsNN/plugins (see note) and
> delete the relevant directory and any .ini file that may have been
> generated.  Based on your X-Mailer header, I suspect that you use Linux.
> For Windows, or Macs, I wouldn't know where to look.
>
> Note:  GrampsNN will be based on whichever version of Gramps you're
> using.  I have Gramps50 but you might have something else.  Gramps42 for
> example.

Thanks a lot. I suppose Gramps42 is for release 4.2 and Gramps50 for the new release 5.0
which I have recently migrated to. Does this mean that it is safe to remove Gramps42
entirely?

Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc.Eng.
Solsortvej 30
DK-2000 Frederiksberg
Denmark

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Dave Scheipers
Feel free to delete. Even if you return to 4.2 for some reason, the
folder  and the configuration files will automatically repopulate.

One file you may want to save and transfer to the new folder is
custom_filters.xml

This file stores any custom filters that you last used in 4.2.
Transferring it over to the 50 folder saves you from having to
recreate them.... unless you have already recreated them when you
installed 5.0

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-11-29 at 18:11:47 Brad Rogers wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 16:53:16 +0100
> > "Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Erik,
> >
> > >remove Timeline Pedigree View but haven't found a description of how to
> > >remove it.
> >
> > There isn't a way to do so in Gramps (AFAICT), you can only _hide_ it
> > from the Plugin Manager.
> >
> > To remove a plugin, go to ~/.gramps/GrampsNN/plugins (see note) and
> > delete the relevant directory and any .ini file that may have been
> > generated.  Based on your X-Mailer header, I suspect that you use Linux.
> > For Windows, or Macs, I wouldn't know where to look.
> >
> > Note:  GrampsNN will be based on whichever version of Gramps you're
> > using.  I have Gramps50 but you might have something else.  Gramps42 for
> > example.
> >

> Thanks a lot. I suppose Gramps42 is for release 4.2 and Gramps50 for the new release 5.0
> which I have recently migrated to. Does this mean that it is safe to remove Gramps42
> entirely?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen, M.Sc.Eng.
> Solsortvej 30
> DK-2000 Frederiksberg
> Denmark

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:05:56 +0100
"Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Erik,

>which I have recently migrated to. Does this mean that it is safe to
>remove Gramps42 entirely?

A qualified yes.  It's safe that is, as long as:

a) you definitely do not want to use v4.2 any more
and
b) you've copied across any custom items - for example, custom.xml from
the Form plugin directory

Personally, I've left the Gramps42 directory in place;  Drive space is
cheap these days, and that directory doesn't take up a lot of it as I
have very few plugins installed.

--
 Regards  _
Two sides to every story

Re: Removal of gramplets.

prculley
A small advertisement; the 'Plugin Manager Enhanced' addon (grouped in Plugin lib) has the ability to remove addons, as well as update and install them.

Paul C.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:05:56 +0100
"Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Erik,

>which I have recently migrated to. Does this mean that it is safe to
>remove Gramps42 entirely?

A qualified yes.  It's safe that is, as long as:

a) you definitely do not want to use v4.2 any more
and
b) you've copied across any custom items - for example, custom.xml from
the Form plugin directory

Personally, I've left the Gramps42 directory in place;  Drive space is
cheap these days, and that directory doesn't take up a lot of it as I
have very few plugins installed.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
Two sides to every story
Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Dave Scheipers
It Does!!!!

After using Gramps for several years, there are still things to learn.

And just so everyone knows, you can also Hide gramplets so they do not
show in the menus and options.

Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a favorite Sidebar
that you use and always want available, Hide the other two so the
option you want is the only one available.

Dave
On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 4:08 PM Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A small advertisement; the 'Plugin Manager Enhanced' addon (grouped in Plugin lib) has the ability to remove addons, as well as update and install them.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 20:05:56 +0100
>> "Erik P. Olsen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Erik,
>>
>> >which I have recently migrated to. Does this mean that it is safe to
>> >remove Gramps42 entirely?
>>
>> A qualified yes.  It's safe that is, as long as:
>>
>> a) you definitely do not want to use v4.2 any more
>> and
>> b) you've copied across any custom items - for example, custom.xml from
>> the Form plugin directory
>>
>> Personally, I've left the Gramps42 directory in place;  Drive space is
>> cheap these days, and that directory doesn't take up a lot of it as I
>> have very few plugins installed.
>>
>> --
>>  Regards  _
>>          / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>>         / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
>> Two sides to every story
>> Public Image - Public Image Ltd

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 15:06:22 -0600
Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>A small advertisement; the 'Plugin Manager Enhanced' addon (grouped in

Nice one, Paul.  I'll check it out.

Many thanks for the tip and the addon itself.

--
 Regards  _
My limbs are like palm trees swaying in the breeze

Re: Removal of gramplets.

On 29/11/2018 21:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a favorite Sidebar
> that you use and always want available, Hide the other two so the
> option you want is the only one available.

Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?

I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to give developers
the ability to customise the user interface, and I wanted to encourage
them to write their own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new
sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm not really sure
why.

Anyway, I have often thought about removing this functionality. What do
people think?

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Doug-11
On 29/11/2018 22:37, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/11/2018 21:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a
>> favorite Sidebar
>> that you use and always want available, Hide the other
>> two so the
>> option you want is the only one available.
>>
> Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?
>
> I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to
> give developers the ability to customise the user
> interface, and I wanted to encourage them to write their
> own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new
> sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm
> not really sure why.
>
> Anyway, I have often thought about removing this
> functionality. What do people think?
>
> Nick.

Please don't. If I'm understanding correctly, I frequently
use one or more of them.

Doug

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Hi Nick
Apologies for delayed response from my point of view please leave
sidebars in place, the census report is something I would never use
because if I needed a print I would either use a transcript or more
likely an image of the actual census

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 29/11/2018 22:37, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/11/2018 21:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a favorite Sidebar
>> that you use and always want available, Hide the other two so the
>> option you want is the only one available.
>>
> Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?
>
> I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to give developers
> the ability to customise the user interface, and I wanted to encourage
> them to write their own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new
> sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm not really sure
> why.
>
> Anyway, I have often thought about removing this functionality. What do
> people think?
>
> Nick.

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Please ignore accidentally sent a draft that was nonesense

Hi Nick
Apologies for delayed response from my point of view please leave
sidebars in place, the census report is something I would never use
because if I needed a print I would either use a transcript or more
likely an image of the actual census

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 29/11/2018 22:37, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/11/2018 21:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a favorite Sidebar
>> that you use and always want available, Hide the other two so the
>> option you want is the only one available.
>>
> Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?
>
> I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to give developers
> the ability to customise the user interface, and I wanted to encourage
> them to write their own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new
> sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm not really sure
> why.
>
> Anyway, I have often thought about removing this functionality. What do
> people think?
>
> Nick.

Re: Removal of gramplets. Census Report, Plugin Manager Enhanced

Hi Nick

Now to say what I had started but botched.
Sidebar I use Expander mode but I am not desperate it just looks better
to me, so it will not be a major issue if you remove it.
The census report I do not use.
Plugin Manager Enhanced is present and usuable on my UBuntu Mate Gramps
ver 5.0 yet is not available in Win10 with Gramps ver 5.0 or in the
Updates for Addons is this just a Linux feature

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 29/11/2018 22:37, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 29/11/2018 21:21, Dave Scheipers wrote:
>> Two that I hide are listed as Sidebars. If you have a favorite Sidebar
>> that you use and always want available, Hide the other two so the
>> option you want is the only one available.
>>
> Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?
>
> I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to give developers
> the ability to customise the user interface, and I wanted to encourage
> them to write their own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new
> sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm not really sure
> why.
>
> Anyway, I have often thought about removing this functionality. What do
> people think?
>
> Nick.

Re: Removal of gramplets.

On 01/12/2018 00:08, Doug wrote:
Does anyone actually use one of the alternative sidebars?

I originally created them as examples.  The idea was to give developers the ability to customise the user interface, and I wanted to encourage them to write their own plugins. Unfortunately, nobody wrote any new sidebars.  Perhaps they didn't have any good ideas?  I'm not really sure why.

Anyway, I have often thought about removing this functionality. What do people think?

Nick.

Please don't. If I'm understanding correctly, I frequently use one or more of them.

Which ones do you use?

Re: Removal of gramplets.

Dave Scheipers
I use the Drop-Down exclusively

On 01/12/2018 14:12, phil wharram wrote:
> Sidebar I use Expander mode but I am not desperate it just looks
> better to me, so it will not be a major issue if you remove it.

OK.  If the functionality is being used then we will keep it.

> The census report I do not use.

It appears that it is not widely used, but I could update it for v5.0.

> Plugin Manager Enhanced is present and usuable on my UBuntu Mate
> Gramps ver 5.0 yet is not available in Win10 with Gramps ver 5.0 or in
> the Updates for Addons is this just a Linux feature

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be available for Windows.

Re: Removal of gramplets. Census Report, Plugin Manager Enhanced

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Nick

Just Updated Addons and Selected All after restarting Gramps this is a
list of the lib plugins

Plugin lib Visible Cairodoc.lib
Plugin lib Visible GEDCOM library
Plugin lib Visible Generic DB Access lib
Plugin lib Visible Grampsxml lib
Plugin lib Visible Graphical report lib
Plugin lib Visible Recursive lib
Plugin lib Visible Substitution Values
Plugin lib Visible UK Web Connect Pack
Plugin lib Visible Webstuff
Plugin lib Visible holiday lib
Plugin lib Visible html lib
Plugin lib Visible htmlbackend lib
Plugin lib Visible htmlconst lib
Plugin lib Visible libwebconnect
Plugin lib Visible mapservice lib
Plugin lib Visible narration lib
Plugin lib Visible odfbackend lib
Plugin lib Visible person list lib
Plugin lib Visible place list lib

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 01/12/2018 14:42, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 01/12/2018 14:12, phil wharram wrote:
>> Sidebar I use Expander mode but I am not desperate it just looks
>> better to me, so it will not be a major issue if you remove it.
>

> OK.  If the functionality is being used then we will keep it.
>

>> The census report I do not use.
>

> It appears that it is not widely used, but I could update it for v5.0.
>

>> Plugin Manager Enhanced is present and usuable on my UBuntu Mate
>> Gramps ver 5.0 yet is not available in Win10 with Gramps ver 5.0 or in
>> the Updates for Addons is this just a Linux feature
>

> I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be available for Windows.
>

> Nick.

Re: Removal of gramplets. Census Report, Plugin Manager Enhanced

prculley
I just uninstalled my copy of 'Plugin Manager Enhanced' and then used the Preferences 'Check for Updated Addons' (I selected new and updated, and deselected 'Do not ask about previously notified Addons') to find it among the 'New: Plugin lib" group.  I'm on Windows 10, and it works for me.  Are you sure you don't already have it installed?  Or hidden?  The current version of  'Plugin Manager Enhanced' is 1.0.11.

Paul C.