Removing trailing spaces from text entry fields in the editors

Removing trailing spaces from text entry fields in the editors

Nick Hall-6
Dear Gramps users,

The following feature request asks for trailing spaces to be removed
from text entry fields in the editors:

4566: Please remove trailing spaces on items on input.

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4566

It would be very easy to implement this feature, and remove both leading
and trailing spaces from all text entry fields, in all the Gramps editors.

Is this a good idea?

If people think this is a good idea I could include it in the upcoming
version 3.3 of Gramps.

I would be interested in your opinions.

Re: Removing trailing spaces from text entry fields in the editors

Bugzilla from melsonr@earthlink.net
I think the question to ask is what effect the proposed
change would have, as well as what problem it'd solve.
If it's neutral WRT the first condition and the answer
to the second is "none", I'd then ask why bother.  Changing
working code because you can is never a good idea.

Bob Melson

> Dear Gramps users,
>
> The following feature request asks for trailing spaces to be removed
> from text entry fields in the editors:
>
> 4566: Please remove trailing spaces on items on input.
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4566
>
> It would be very easy to implement this feature, and remove both leading
> and trailing spaces from all text entry fields, in all the Gramps editors.
>
> Is this a good idea?
>
> If people think this is a good idea I could include it in the upcoming
> version 3.3 of Gramps.
>
> I would be interested in your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.

-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated
in the name of the noblest causes -- Thomas Paine

Re: Removing trailing spaces from text entry fields in the editors

Martin Ewing
I would second that, although the presence of (almost) invisible extra spaces can screw up sorting and prevent two variables from comparing as "equal".  I don't know if that is a real problem.  If it is, we might also want to compress any occurrence of multiple spaces to a single space inside a field.  Where does it stop?

Martin

-----
The greatest tyrannies are always perpetrated
in the name of the noblest causes -- Thomas Paine

Martin Ewing
Branford, Connecticut

Re: Removing trailing spaces from text entry fields in the editors

David Lynch
  On 29/04/2011 17:05, Nick Hall wrote:

> Dear Gramps users,
>
> The following feature request asks for trailing spaces to be removed
> from text entry fields in the editors:
>
> 4566: Please remove trailing spaces on items on input.
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4566
>
> It would be very easy to implement this feature, and remove both leading
> and trailing spaces from all text entry fields, in all the Gramps editors.
>
> Is this a good idea?
>
> If people think this is a good idea I could include it in the upcoming
> version 3.3 of Gramps.
>
> I would be interested in your opinions.
>
> Regards,
>

> Nick.
     I am the original requestor.

     I made the request because the presence of trailing blanks means
that entries that a user will expect to come together in a sorted list
will be separated. In this way, people or places can get missed by the
user in a manner that is not at all obvious.

     I judge that the removing the risk of this happening overweighs the
risk of the change.

David Lynch