Report Variables

Thomas Weichmann
OK, I know that I knew this at one time, but where is there a list of
variables for the graphical reports?

For example, the Ancestrial Wall Chart, in the report format box it has:

$n
b. $b, $P
d. $d, $p

I want to add birth and death city to this.  I looked around a bit, but could
not find the answer.

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann

Re: Report Variables

Don Allingham
Tom,

Here is the current list.

    $n -> Name - FirstName LastName
    $N -> Name - LastName, FirstName
    $i -> GRAMPS ID
    $b -> Date of birth
    $B -> Place of birth
    $d -> Date of death
    $D -> Place of death
    $s -> Preferred spouse's name - FirstName LastName
    $S -> Preferred spouse's name - LastName, FirstName
    $m -> Date of preferred marriage
    $M -> Place of preferred marriage

With 2.0.8, some of the reports have added support for % notation. The
difference is if a line uses %n instead of $n, and %n evaluates to an
empty string, the line is deleted.

So if no birth date was specified,

name: $n
born: $b
id  : $i

would evaluate to:

name: NAME
born:
id  : GRAMPSID

but:

name: %n
born: %b
id  : %i

would evaluate to:

name: NAME
id  : GRAMPSID

(the %b is empty, so the line is dropped).

Eventually, we'll get all the reports supporting this.

Don

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 20:59 -0400, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> OK, I know that I knew this at one time, but where is there a list of
> variables for the graphical reports?
>
> For example, the Ancestrial Wall Chart, in the report format box it has:
>
> $n
> b. $b, $P
> d. $d, $p
>
> I want to add birth and death city to this.  I looked around a bit, but could
> not find the answer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Weichmann

Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

SuSE 10

Thomas Weichmann
I just installed SuSE 10 and connot compile GRAMPS 2.0.8.  The configure
script does not get too far:

tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8> ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gconftool-2... /opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2
Using config source xml::/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for schema
installation
Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas as install directory for schema files
Using directory $(prefix)/share/mime for installation of mime type definitions
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for msgconv... no
configure: error: Couldn't find msgconv program. Please install the GNU
gettext package.
tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8>

I checked and gettext is installed, however there is no -devel package
available.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann

Re: SuSE 10

Alex Roitman
On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 07:13 -0400, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> I just installed SuSE 10 and connot compile GRAMPS 2.0.8.  The configure
> script does not get too far:
>
> tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8> ./configure
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gconftool-2... /opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2
> Using config source xml::/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for schema
> installation
> Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas as install directory for schema files
> Using directory $(prefix)/share/mime for installation of mime type definitions
> checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> checking for msgconv... no
> configure: error: Couldn't find msgconv program. Please install the GNU
> gettext package.
> tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8>
>
> I checked and gettext is installed, however there is no -devel package
> available.  Anyone have any ideas?
Do you have msgconv program? If not then you need to get it in order
to build from source. If you have it elsewhere then read on.
SuSE sometimes places things under /opt and then it sometimes does
not include them on your path. For compiling from source, you need
to be able to run 'msgconv' binary. So you can either find it and
create a symlink to it in any conventional place:
   $ ln -s /real/path/to/msgconv /usr/bin/msgconv

or add the location of msgconv to your path:
   $ export PATH=$PATH:/real/path/to/msgconv

However, you may also try the pre-built RPM of gramps, packaged
by Richard Bos. Here's the RPM for SuSE 10.1:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/10.0-i386/RPMS.suser-rbos/gramps-2.0.8-0.suse1000.rb0.i586.rpm

Alex

Re: SuSE 10

Thomas Weichmann
On Tuesday 18 October 2005 01:56, Alex Roitman wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 07:13 -0400, Tom Weichmann wrote:
> > I just installed SuSE 10 and connot compile GRAMPS 2.0.8.  The configure
> > script does not get too far:
> >
> > tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8> ./configure
> > checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> > checking whether build environment is sane... yes
> > checking for gawk... gawk
> > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
> > checking for gconftool-2... /opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2
> > Using config source xml::/etc/opt/gnome/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults for
> > schema installation
> > Using $(sysconfdir)/gconf/schemas as install directory for schema files
> > Using directory $(prefix)/share/mime for installation of mime type
> > definitions checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
> > checking for msgconv... no
> > configure: error: Couldn't find msgconv program. Please install the GNU
> > gettext package.
> > tom@linux:~/Desktop/gramps-2.0.8>
> >
> > I checked and gettext is installed, however there is no -devel package
> > available.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Do you have msgconv program? If not then you need to get it in order
> to build from source. If you have it elsewhere then read on.
> SuSE sometimes places things under /opt and then it sometimes does
> not include them on your path. For compiling from source, you need
> to be able to run 'msgconv' binary. So you can either find it and
> create a symlink to it in any conventional place:
>    $ ln -s /real/path/to/msgconv /usr/bin/msgconv
>
> or add the location of msgconv to your path:
>    $ export PATH=$PATH:/real/path/to/msgconv
>
> However, you may also try the pre-built RPM of gramps, packaged
> by Richard Bos. Here's the RPM for SuSE 10.1:
> ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/10.0-i386/RPMS.suser-rbos/gramps-
>2.0.8-0.suse1000.rb0.i586.rpm
>
> Alex

Alex,

Well I checked the gettext RPM for SuSE 10 and it does *not* have msgconv
included with it.  I checked the RPM from SuSE 9.3 (the last rendition) and
of course it does include this.  Interesting...

Anyway, I grabbed the GRAMPS RPM which you suggested and everything works just
fine.  I would, however be interested to know how Richard made the RPM...

Thanks again for your help,

Tom Weichmann
Happy Gramps User Since 0.2.0

Re: SuSE 10

Scott Leighton
On Tuesday 18 October 2005 8:17 pm, Tom Weichmann wrote:
> Well I checked the gettext RPM for SuSE 10 and it does *not* have msgconv
> included with it.  I checked the RPM from SuSE 9.3 (the last rendition) and
> of course it does include this.  Interesting...
>
> Anyway, I grabbed the GRAMPS RPM which you suggested and everything works
> just fine.  I would, however be interested to know how Richard made the
> RPM...

     Try gettext-devel, it should be in that SUSE 10 RPM.

       Scott
--
POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
Linux 2.6.11.4-21.9-default x86_64

Re: SuSE 10

Thomas Weichmann
Scott,

Yeah that is exactly what my first thought was, but there is no -devel package
for gettext.  Also, when I checked the RPM's for version 9.3 there was a
-devel package, but the msgconv program was actually in the main RPM not the
-devel.  My guess is that SuSE put thin into a different package for some
reason and I just can not find it...

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 12:26, Scott Leighton wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 8:17 pm, Tom Weichmann wrote:
> > Well I checked the gettext RPM for SuSE 10 and it does *not* have msgconv
> > included with it.  I checked the RPM from SuSE 9.3 (the last rendition)
> > and of course it does include this.  Interesting...
> >
> > Anyway, I grabbed the GRAMPS RPM which you suggested and everything works
> > just fine.  I would, however be interested to know how Richard made the
> > RPM...
>
>      Try gettext-devel, it should be in that SUSE 10 RPM.
>
>        Scott

Re: SuSE 10

Serge Noiraud-2
Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 12:57, Tom Weichmann a écrit :
> Scott,
>
> Yeah that is exactly what my first thought was, but there is no -devel
> package for gettext.  Also, when I checked the RPM's for version 9.3 there
> was a -devel package, but the msgconv program was actually in the main RPM
> not the -devel.  My guess is that SuSE put thin into a different package
> for some reason and I just can not find it...
>
> Thanks,
If someone has a SuSe 10 with msgconv installed, type the following command :

rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')

We'll know the rpm.

Re: SuSE 10

Richard Bos
Op woensdag 19 oktober 2005 19:42, schreef Serge Noiraud:

> Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 12:57, Tom Weichmann a écrit :
> > Scott,
> >
> > Yeah that is exactly what my first thought was, but there is no -devel
> > package for gettext.  Also, when I checked the RPM's for version 9.3
> > there was a -devel package, but the msgconv program was actually in the
> > main RPM not the -devel.  My guess is that SuSE put thin into a different
> > package for some reason and I just can not find it...
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> If someone has a SuSe 10 with msgconv installed, type the following command

That's me :)

> rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
>
> We'll know the rpm.

richard@linux:~> rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')

gettext-devel-0.14.3-6

As stated by Tom.  It's part of the DVD, perhaps it is not on the net.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

Re: SuSE 10

Serge Noiraud-2
Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 20:45, Richard Bos a écrit :

> Op woensdag 19 oktober 2005 19:42, schreef Serge Noiraud:
> > Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 12:57, Tom Weichmann a écrit :
> > > Scott,
> > >
> > > Yeah that is exactly what my first thought was, but there is no -devel
> > > package for gettext.  Also, when I checked the RPM's for version 9.3
> > > there was a -devel package, but the msgconv program was actually in the
> > > main RPM not the -devel.  My guess is that SuSE put thin into a
> > > different package for some reason and I just can not find it...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > If someone has a SuSe 10 with msgconv installed, type the following
> > command
>
> That's me :)
>
> > rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
> >
> > We'll know the rpm.
>
> richard@linux:~> rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
>
> gettext-devel-0.14.3-6
>
> As stated by Tom.  It's part of the DVD, perhaps it is not on the net.
I found it here :
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/suse/i586/
it's about 1,8MB.

Re: SuSE 10

Thomas Weichmann
On Wednesday 19 October 2005 02:45, Richard Bos wrote:

> Op woensdag 19 oktober 2005 19:42, schreef Serge Noiraud:
> > Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 12:57, Tom Weichmann a écrit :
> > > Scott,
> > >
> > > Yeah that is exactly what my first thought was, but there is no -devel
> > > package for gettext.  Also, when I checked the RPM's for version 9.3
> > > there was a -devel package, but the msgconv program was actually in the
> > > main RPM not the -devel.  My guess is that SuSE put thin into a
> > > different package for some reason and I just can not find it...
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> >
> > If someone has a SuSe 10 with msgconv installed, type the following
> > command
>
> That's me :)
>
> > rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
> >
> > We'll know the rpm.
>
> richard@linux:~> rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
>
> gettext-devel-0.14.3-6
>
> As stated by Tom.  It's part of the DVD, perhaps it is not on the net.

I guess that this is a bit off topic, but what is interesting about SuSE 10 is
that there is no net version as there has always been before.  You used to be
able to just download a small ISO and then do an FTP install.  There is no
net source for FTP install for this version.  I downloaded the 5 CD's, as I
don't have a DVD burner, and there is no -devel package available.

Interesting...

Thanks for making the GRAMPS RPM!  How big is that -devel file? Is it small
enough to e-mail me?  If it is please send it to me.

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann

Re: SuSE 10

Thomas Weichmann
On Wednesday 19 October 2005 06:59, Serge Noiraud wrote:

> Le mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 20:45, Richard Bos a écrit :

> > > If someone has a SuSe 10 with msgconv installed, type the following
> > > command
> >
> > That's me :)
> >
> > > rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
> > >
> > > We'll know the rpm.
> >
> > richard@linux:~> rpm -qf $(type msgconv | awk '{ print $3}')
> >
> > gettext-devel-0.14.3-6
> >
> > As stated by Tom.  It's part of the DVD, perhaps it is not on the net.
>
> I found it here :
> http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/s
>use/i586/ it's about 1,8MB.

OK I stand corrected about the installation source... Wish I would have read
ALL of my e-mail before replying...

Thanks All!