Report debugging

bm-7
Hi,

I'd like some clues about report debugging in GRAMPS.
I write a report, but if there is a stupid loading error, GRAMPS just doesn't
load the report, and you never know what the error was.

I have now overwritten the load_plugins method in_PluginMgr.py, so that gramps
crashes and I see the error. Disadvantage is that gramps crashed, and I have to
restart opposed to reload the plugins.

However, I see the code: failmsg_list.append((filename,sys.exc_info())),
and I can't help but wondering how one is supposed to use this for debugging.
Something you can do while gramps is running?
Could someone clarify this, sparing me from going all through the code to solve
this riddle? Even better, put it in the wiki under the report section (if
non-trivial).

Re: Report debugging

Alex Roitman
Benny,

On Sat, 2006-12-02 at 23:25 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'd like some clues about report debugging in GRAMPS.
> I write a report, but if there is a stupid loading error, GRAMPS just doesn't
> load the report, and you never know what the error was.
>
> I have now overwritten the load_plugins method in_PluginMgr.py, so that gramps
> crashes and I see the error. Disadvantage is that gramps crashed, and I have to
> restart opposed to reload the plugins.
>
> However, I see the code: failmsg_list.append((filename,sys.exc_info())),
> and I can't help but wondering how one is supposed to use this for debugging.
> Something you can do while gramps is running?
> Could someone clarify this, sparing me from going all through the code to solve
> this riddle? Even better, put it in the wiki under the report section (if
> non-trivial).
Use Help -> Plugin status menu item. It will list plugins
marked as either OK or fail. Double-click on the Fail line
and it will show you the traceback.

There's also a preferences setting, under Warnings tab,
called "Show plugin status dialog on plugin load error".
If this is checked then any time the plugin is loaded (either
on startup or when reloading plugins) it will pop up
the status window.

Also there's a Reload plugins tool, under Debug category.
This allows you to reload plugins without re-starting gramps.

Hope this helps,
Alex

Re: Report debugging

bm-7
Great,

this is just what wanted to know. Amazing the things you look over and
forget if
you don't need them.

Thanks!