Requesed change to web site for privacy.

Requesed change to web site for privacy.

Theo Carr-Brion
I have a public web site created by gramps and I would like an easy way
to hide the names of living people. The export changes the first names
to 'Living'. I should think it would be easy to do on the website in the
same way. I have asked for this before and I think it is important for
privacy.

Theo Carr-Brion

Re: Requesed change to web site for privacy.

bm-7
Theo,

why do you not work with filters, only exporting to the webpage the people not
alive?
I would think it highly unusefull to have a website that says living, child of
living.

So why export that at all with living, just filter it out and don't put it on
the web. Or do you think that unpractical?

Benny

[hidden email] wrote:

> Theo,
>
> why do you not work with filters, only exporting to the webpage the
> people not
> alive?
> I would think it highly unusefull to have a website that says living,
> child of
> living.
>
> So why export that at all with living, just filter it out and don't put
> it on
> the web. Or do you think that unpractical?
>
> Benny

Thank you for replying. I have tried a filter but it does not work.
Living people are still named as children if their parents are no longer
alive. I would prefer it to say "Living" as this would at least indicate
that there were children. Also a tick box is much easier than setting up
a filter.

Theo Carr-Brion

Re: Requesed change to web site for privacy.

bm-7

[snip]

> Thank you for replying. I have tried a filter but it does not work.
> Living people are still named as children if their parents are no longer
> alive. I would prefer it to say "Living" as this would at least indicate
> that there were children. Also a tick box is much easier than setting up
> a filter.

Ok, the first thing: people appearing even when they are not in a filter , I
would consider a bug, although it is a gray area. Submit it to
bugs.gramps-project.org, and say what solution you would prefer: a. just don't
include people who are not in the filter, or b. replace the name by a text
string, eg 'Spouse, not include', 'Child, not included'.

This is separate from the issue of living person's. I prefer to see the names,
you apparently don't. A tick box would be easiest for you, but if after time
there are 60 tick boxes, it is not easy anymore :-) Filters have been added
specifically for this, to give power to the people who want specific
behaviour.
I suggest you do a feature request on bugs.gramps-project.org (choose
as project
'feature requests'), and hope Don, who maintains the website code, agrees with
you. Perhaps do feature request first, and add the link to your bug
request, so
the reason of the bug issue is clear.

Benny

> Theo Carr-Brion

Re: Requesed change to web site for privacy.

Piotr Czubaszek-2

> Ok, the first thing: people appearing even when they are not in a filter , I
> would consider a bug, although it is a gray area. Submit it to
> bugs.gramps-project.org, and say what solution you would prefer: a. just don't
> include people who are not in the filter, or b. replace the name by a text
> string, eg 'Spouse, not include', 'Child, not included'.
>
> This is separate from the issue of living person's. I prefer to see the names,
> you apparently don't. A tick box would be easiest for you, but if after time
> there are 60 tick boxes, it is not easy anymore :-) Filters have been added
> specifically for this, to give power to the people who want specific
> behaviour.
> I suggest you do a feature request on bugs.gramps-project.org (choose
> as project
> 'feature requests'), and hope Don, who maintains the website code, agrees with
> you. Perhaps do feature request first, and add the link to your bug
> request, so
> the reason of the bug issue is clear.
>
> Benny

For me it's not a bug. Using filters we can filter out people we don't
want to provide information about in a report. However, if those
people are directly related to the included people, it is correct to
display their names. They cannot be directly identified because only
their names are given and only no further than one generation away
from the lincluded people. If somenone is a personal information
protection freak, they should mark those secret persons as with the
private attribute so that no one gets to know they exist at all.

Piotrek

Piotr Czubaszek wrote:

>> Ok, the first thing: people appearing even when they are not in a
>> filter , I
>> would consider a bug, although it is a gray area. Submit it to
>> bugs.gramps-project.org, and say what solution you would prefer: a.
>> just don't
>> include people who are not in the filter, or b. replace the name by a
>> text
>> string, eg 'Spouse, not include', 'Child, not included'.
>>
>> This is separate from the issue of living person's. I prefer to see
>> the names,
>> you apparently don't. A tick box would be easiest for you, but if
>> after time
>> there are 60 tick boxes, it is not easy anymore :-) Filters have been
>> added
>> specifically for this, to give power to the people who want specific
>> behaviour.
>> I suggest you do a feature request on bugs.gramps-project.org (choose
>> as project
>> 'feature requests'), and hope Don, who maintains the website code,
>> agrees with
>> you. Perhaps do feature request first, and add the link to your bug
>> request, so
>> the reason of the bug issue is clear.
>>
>> Benny
>
> For me it's not a bug. Using filters we can filter out people we don't
> want to provide information about in a report. However, if those
> people are directly related to the included people, it is correct to
> display their names. They cannot be directly identified because only
> their names are given and only no further than one generation away
> from the lincluded people. If somenone is a personal information
> protection freak, they should mark those secret persons as with the
> private attribute so that no one gets to know they exist at all.
>
> Piotrek

I have well over 2000 people on gramps and I could add a lot more who
may be alive but I have generally stopped at 1901 except for a few
families. I can't possibly check to see if people mind being included.
People can be identified by their name only. My surname is unique to my
immediate family. Information on parents, brothers and sisters is then
available for living people and I have no idea if any of this is
sensitive. For myself I would like to include the names as people would
be then more likely to get in touch with me but I feel I have to respect
people's privacy.

Theo Carr-Brion

Re: Requesed change to web site for privacy.

bm-7
Quoting Theo Carr-Brion <[hidden email]>:

[snip]

> I have well over 2000 people on gramps and I could add a lot more who
> may be alive but I have generally stopped at 1901 except for a few
> families. I can't possibly check to see if people mind being included.
> People can be identified by their name only. My surname is unique to my
> immediate family. Information on parents, brothers and sisters is then
> available for living people and I have no idea if any of this is
> sensitive. For myself I would like to include the names as people would
> be then more likely to get in touch with me but I feel I have to respect
> people's privacy.
>
> Theo Carr-Brion

We understand your concern Theo.
As Piotr noted, the website generator works as most people like it. The
decision
there is to show people of the filter, and the names of relatives.

So, you have the following options:
1/make a feature request to add a tick box to narrative website to overwrite
living people with 'alive'. You never know who else is interested.
2/as a workaround for now: make a filter: not (probably alive 2007 or
death data
in <1980-2007>), export those people to GEDCOM, import the GEDCOM into
an empty
GRDB database, and generate the webpage from that database. Not a nice
solution, but living people will not be present in the webpage as they are not
in the database. I did not test this, so I am not sure this even works. :-)