Resizing Notes window

DexterB
Moved from Gramps 3.8 to 4.0.3-1 when I replaced Linux Mint 16 with 17.

I have now discovered that the Notes box cannot be maximised or expanded usefully (Relationship view, Edit the person, select Notes tab).
The Notes "box" itself can be resized, but the contents of the box, the notes themselves, do not expand to fill the available window. There's just a lot of "grey" at the bottom of the window.
I can still read the notes -  by scrolling line by tedious line . With previous releases, expanding the Notes box allowed the notes text to expand to fill the available space.
How can I fix that view?

Re: Resizing Notes window

Ross Gammon
This was a known bug which is fixed in 4.0.4.

In Ubuntu Trusty (14.04), a Stable Release Update was produced to fix it:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gramps

Maybe you should report a bug in Mint to get them to update to a newer
version (better for all the other Mint users)?

For a quicker fix for yourself, you could try taking the
4.0.3+dfsg-2ubuntu1 package from Ubuntu (or the 4.0.4 version in
trusty-backports). Or pick a version from the Gramps sourceforge site
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/).

Actually, if you look at the diff on the Launchpad site, you will see
that the fix was very simple and you could tweak the file on your
system yourself.

Ross

On 06/30/2014 11:15 AM, Buster95 wrote:

> Moved from Gramps 3.8 to 4.0.3-1 when I replaced Linux Mint 16 with
> 17.
>
> I have now discovered that the Notes box cannot be maximised or
> expanded usefully (Relationship view, Edit the person, select Notes
> tab). The Notes "box" itself can be resized, but the contents of
> the box, the notes themselves, do not expand to fill the available
> window. There's just a lot of "grey" at the bottom of the window. I
> can still read the notes -  by scrolling line by tedious line .
> With previous releases, expanding the Notes box allowed the notes
> text to expand to fill the available space. How can I fix that
> view?

> http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Resizing-Notes-window-tp4666472.html

> Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community
> Edition Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized
> workflows Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft

Re: Resizing Notes window <Solved?

DexterB
Thanks Ross,
I was not aware of the bug.

I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, an "early acquirer" of new versions of critical software and would have quite happily stayed with Gramps 3.8 rather than teetering on what I conservatively view as the bleeding edge. However, Gramps 4.03 came with the Linux Mint 17 package and I took (for me) an uncharacteristic risk.

However, I took your advice and downloaded the most recent version. As you predicted, it fixed the problem and, as far as I can tell, has introduced no others.

I will also take your advice and raise the matter with the Linux Mint team.

Many thanks for your sound advice.