Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

Neil Coburn
Hi
I have a question about retrieving a family tree (possibly 2 trees) that I
had created in GRAMPS 3.3.1. Sorry for the long post but I want to give the
relevant context.

In December 2011 I started to do some family genealogy and downloaded the
then current GRAMPS to work with. It was probably version 3.3.1. I really
enjoyed it but life and work filled my days and at some point I realized I
didn't have the time to continue with genealogy at that time. I've recently
retired and would like to take this up again. I see that the data format for
the current GRAMPS 5.0 is not compatible with my previous version and it's
suggested I archive or store my previous family trees to import into GRAMPS
5.0. Unfortunately I no longer have the computer I was using in 2011. I do
have a full copy of the GRAMPSAIO folder and was hoping I could retrieve my
previous trees from it.
I have tried:
- copying the GRAMPSAOI folder to my Windows 10 system and running it from
the command line - no success at all
- downloading version 3.1.1 on my current Windows 10 system - the
installation process asks for Python to be installed ahead of 3.3.1 - I
tried installing three different versions of Python (2.7.3?, 2.7.12, 3.7.2)
and each time the GRAMPS install complains that there are Python files it
requires that are not present.

I'm prepared to just start from scratch and re-enter all the family data
again. However, 1) as I recall I spent a lot of time doing that (up to 7
generations of family members), and 2) I pulled information from many
places, including my wife's parents, one of whom is now deceased and the
remaining one has severe dementia. I have an electronic trail of some of the
data but not all of the data I had entered so without that I'm concerned
that I'll lose some information that I can't easily re-create.

Any suggestions on what I might do would be appreciated.
Neil

Re: Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

Ron Johnson
On 2/5/19 9:19 PM, Neil Coburn wrote:
[...]

The fact that the v5.0 database version is incompatible with previous versions does not mean that it can't read the old version, so as to convert it to the current version.  After all, the ability to read old documents is ubiquitous in software.

So, I'd try to read the old files with v5.0.1.

If that fails, I'd install the previous version (4.2.8), which should work.

Naturally, you should make a copy of the database folder before trying any of this.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/5.0.1/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.2.8/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/3.3.2/

Re: Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

Neil Coburn
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Can you tell my which is the database folder? I've tried to find this
information in the documentation on the GRAMPS site but haven't got a clear
answer.

Thanks again

Re: Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

GRAMPS - User mailing list
The page about the data path is on the Family Tree tab of Preferences. It links to pages on the different OSes. But you're right, the Windows subsection requires too much interpretation.

The default path is:
 %appdata%/gramps

The above is not a typo and you MUST type the percentage marks. (This is like using a domain name instead of an IP address for a web address.)

See
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Family_Tree

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 22:51, Neil Coburn
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

Can you tell my which is the database folder? I've tried to find this
information in the documentation on the GRAMPS site but haven't got a clear
answer.

Thanks again

Re: Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

Oliver Lehmann

Neil Coburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I no longer have the computer I was using in 2011. I do
> have a full copy of the GRAMPSAIO folder and was hoping I could retrieve my
> previous trees from it.

As long as 3.x worked the same as 4.x and 5.x you might not have any luck.
The database is stored outside the application directory - Below
"Application Data".
If you only backed up the application directory and no other directory and you
didn't made other backups of the tree with 3.x you might have lost.....

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Retrieving a Family Tree(s) from GRAMPS 3.3.1

On windows installs, the default database folder is

C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\gramps\grampsdb

In this folder will be a randomly named folder that actually contains
each database. This folder contains a file "name.txt' with the name of
the database as you named it.

One major caveat, my experience with gramps does NOT go back to 3.1. I
am assuming that the same file structure has been used.