Roadmap for Gramps 5

Harvey Nimmo
Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

enno
Harvey,
> Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?
https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php

You may need to log in to see it.

cheers,

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

Harvey Nimmo
The link returns a blank page.

(For the moment I thought I was like the typical man in front of the
fridge! Right in front of his nose and can't see it)

On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 12:16 +0200, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Harvey,
> > Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php
>
> You may need to log in to see it.
>
> cheers,
>
> Enno

> ---------
> Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
> who
> bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition of
> MDM
> restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
> the
> apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data
> untouched!

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

Harvey Nimmo
indeed.;-)
...'all projects'

On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 19:15 +0200, Harvey Nimmo wrote:

> The link returns a blank page.
>
> (For the moment I thought I was like the typical man in front of the
> fridge! Right in front of his nose and can't see it)
>

> On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 12:16 +0200, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> > Harvey,
> > > Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?
> > https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php
> >
> > You may need to log in to see it.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Enno

> > --
> > ---------
> > Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
> > who
> > bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition
> > of
> > MDM
> > restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
> > the
> > apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data
> > untouched!
> > https://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/304595813;131938128;j
> > [hidden email]

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

DS Blank
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
The link returns a blank page.

(For the moment I thought I was like the typical man in front of the
fridge! Right in front of his nose and can't see it)

That page is pretty cryptic, and probably doesn't answer your question anyway.

The Gramps developers are working on an announcement to send to gramps-users. Will post it in a couple of days. Stay tuned!

-Doug

On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 12:16 +0200, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> Harvey,
> > Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/roadmap_page.php
>
> You may need to log in to see it.
>
> cheers,
>
> Enno

> ---------
> Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
> who
> bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition of
> MDM
> restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
> the
> apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data
> untouched!

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

DS Blank
Gramps users,

Gramps 5.0 will be available shortly as an "alpha" download. This alpha version should be considered dangerous, and only designed for testing for those that have some experience with Gramps and software testing in general. After thorough testing, we'll have a real release of Gramps 5.0 ready within a few months.

Gramps 5.0 has a number of enhancements at a variety of levels: more options on reports, better descriptions, better user experience, better window placement, lots of bug fixes, speed-ups, new columns, etc. We'll have a general announcement soon listing all of the enhancements. However, it may not look all that different from Gramps 4.2. But there is a lot you don't see that is different "under the hood."

There are no data changes with this version. That is, no new tags, or place changes---there are no changes to the XML, the data is still version 18 [1]. We purposively made no changes to the data formats so that we could focus on reworking the code that connects to the low-level database (what we call the database backend).

When Gramps 2.0 was released in 2005, the Berkeley Database [2, 6] (sometimes referred to as "BSDDB") was chosen as the Gramps underlying database backend. It was well supported and came with Python. However, the Python project announced in 2008 that in Python 2.6 BSDDB would be deprecated and removed in Python 3. One of the main reasons the Python project deprecated BSDDB was that "bsddb is 'heavy weight' - ...of the standard library, it has the most dependencies and nuances to cross platform maintenance" [5, 8].

BSDDB has served us well over the years, but has some issues beyond its "heavy weight" and its removal from the standard Python library. First, it is completely possible (and has happened) that the operating system (say, Linux) could update the software drivers that access the database. Berkeley DB is very picky about exactly what software can open what version of the database. This would result in users not being able to access their data after an OS upgrade. Also, the way that we have Berkeley DB configured can be very sensitive to multiple users. For example, if you happen to open your family tree twice, then your tree may be corrupted. Or improper closing can make it difficult to re-open your tree. Finally, we did not have a good way to make Berkeley DB multi-user. This was a real problem for projects like Gramps Connect that would like to use your family tree over the web.

To solve these problems, we made it so that Gramps can use different database backends. Gramps 5.0 will ship with two database backends: Berkeley DB (your standard, existing family tree files), and a new implementation called DB-API. DB-API is a generic interface to allow many different SQL databases to have approximately the same interface [3].

The default implementation of Gramps' DB-API will use sqlite [7]. Sqlite has a very robust file format [4], and uses SQL for accessing the data. This should provide a level of reliability and robustness of your trees not available before. Sqlite is one of the most used, robust application file formats in use today. You will also be able to use other SQL programs. We have preliminary testing for MySQL and postgresql.

Gramps 5.0 will continue to use BSDDB as the default database backend. However, Gramps 5.0 will begin testing DB-API as an alternative. If DB-API works out well for users, ONLY THEN we will remove Berkeley DB in future versions of Gramps.

Some questions/answers:

Q1: Does using SQL mean that Gramps data will be "relational"?

A1: No. Gramps data is hierarchical, and is stored in SQL as binary "blobs". However, much of Gramps data will also be stored in SQL fields and indexed. This can make the SQL database large, but fast.

Q2: Will I be able to use Gramps with multiple users simultaneously?

A2: Yes, but with some caveats: currently there is no indication in the Gramps windows that another user may be editing or deleting data at the same time. Perhaps a future version of Gramps will address that [9].

Q3: Can I share my database via a file-sharing system like Dropbox and have simultaneous users?

A3: No. Users (even from different operating systems) can open a dropbox database, but *simultaneous* use is not supported. (This is a dropbox/shared-file limitation, not a Gramps issue). However, as long as you keep the use to one user at a time, this should work well.

Q4: Can my family tree be on a remote computer for anyone with a password to use?

A4: Yes. Using sophisticated SQL programs like MySQL or postgresql, you can put your database on the internet. However, this will not be as fast as having your data local. Future versions of Gramps may address this.

Q5: Will Gramps run faster with the new backend?

A5: Some operations may run faster, but other operations may actually run slower. Gramps 5.0 is largely about just making SQL compatible with Gramps. Tests have been performed to make sure running times are very close. Future versions of Gramps could focus on speed.

Q6: Will there be an easy way to convert my Berkeley DB to the new sqlite/DB-API?

A6: Yes. There is a "Convert" button in the Family Tree Manager. More details and documentation will be available.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

References

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?

Cheers
Harvey

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

On 05/26/2016 06:26 AM, Doug Blank wrote:
[snip]

> Gramps 5.0 has a number of enhancements at a variety of levels: more
> options on reports, better descriptions, better user experience, better
> window placement, lots of bug fixes, speed-ups, new columns, etc. We'll
> have a general announcement soon listing all of the enhancements. However,
> it may not look all that different from Gramps 4.2. But there is a lot you
> don't see that is different "under the hood."
>
> There are no data changes with this version. That is, no new tags, or
> place changes---there are no changes to the XML, the data is still version
> 18 [1]. We purposively made no changes to the data formats so that we
> could focus on reworking the code that connects to the low-level database
> (what we call the database backend).

Thanks much for the update!

What about third-party plugins?  (Many of them are Very Important, but seem
to regularly break after point releases, and this is a *serious* upgrade.)

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

DS Blank
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/26/2016 06:26 AM, Doug Blank wrote:
[snip]
> Gramps 5.0 has a number of enhancements at a variety of levels: more
> options on reports, better descriptions, better user experience, better
> window placement, lots of bug fixes, speed-ups, new columns, etc. We'll
> have a general announcement soon listing all of the enhancements. However,
> it may not look all that different from Gramps 4.2. But there is a lot you
> don't see that is different "under the hood."
>
> There are no data changes with this version. That is, no new tags, or
> place changes---there are no changes to the XML, the data is still version
> 18 [1]. We purposively made no changes to the data formats so that we
> could focus on reworking the code that connects to the low-level database
> (what we call the database backend).

Thanks much for the update!

What about third-party plugins?  (Many of them are Very Important, but seem
to regularly break after point releases, and this is a *serious* upgrade.)

Good question: of course third-party addons are second-class citizens, and are not tested or maintained like core Gramps. However, they should be in fairly good shape to be immediately available. Since the family tree schema didn't change, there were only minor updates to be made.

Although you will be able to update and install these via the GUI as usual, you can see if your favorite third-party addon is ready for download here:

And for the curious, you can see each addon's history and updates here:

It might be worth polling Gramps' users to see what are the most popular third-party addons. Developers have no way to know which addons are popular, or even used.

-Doug

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

Harvey Nimmo
Great news!  Many thanks for this comprehensive low-down.

Harvey

On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 07:26 -0400, Doug Blank wrote:

> [...]
> [8] - http://jessenoller.com/2008/09/04/stirred-up-dem-bees-should-bs
> ddb-be-removed-from-python/
> [9] - https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_042:_Multi
> -user_record_locking_and_editing
>

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Harvey Nimmo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Does anyone know what the roadmap is for Gramps version 5?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Harvey

> > -----------
> > Mobile security can be enabling, not merely restricting. Employees
> > who
> > bring their own devices (BYOD) to work are irked by the imposition
> > of MDM
> > restrictions. Mobile Device Manager Plus allows you to control only
> > the
> > apps on BYO-devices by containerizing them, leaving personal data

On 05/26/2016 07:57 AM, Doug Blank wrote:
[snip]

It might be worth polling Gramps' users to see what are the most popular third-party addons. Developers have no way to know which addons are popular, or even used.

Don't know which are core and which are 3rd party.
  • Family Descendant Tree
  • Complete Individual Report
  • Descendant Report
  • Detailed Descendant Report
  • Ancestor Report
  • Detail Ancestor Report
  • Family Group Report
  • Family Sheet
  • Lines of Descendency

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Roadmap for Gramps 5

Nick Hall
On 27/05/16 16:21, Ron Johnson wrote:
Don't know which are core and which are 3rd party.
  • Family Descendant Tree
  • Complete Individual Report
  • Descendant Report
  • Detailed Descendant Report
  • Ancestor Report
  • Detail Ancestor Report
  • Family Group Report
  • Family Sheet
  • Lines of Descendency

They are all core reports except for Family Sheet and Lines of Descendency.