Rob G. Healey

Jason Simanek-2
Hello Gramps Devs,

I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:

""""
to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
as I can.

Rob's loving wife Michelle
""""

Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
of Rob here:
<http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>

His wife asked me to let you all know.

His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.

Sincerely,

Jason Simanek

Re: Rob G. Healey

Benny Malengier
This is indeed very sad news.

Most of us knew his health was bad, but not that there was risk of death.
He was still committing changes up to two weeks ago.

I can't think of anything we could do to lighten the pain of those left behind, should somebody have an idea.

Benny

2012/6/27 Jason Simanek <[hidden email]>
Hello Gramps Devs,

I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:

""""
to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
as I can.

Rob's loving wife Michelle
""""

Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
of Rob here:
<http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>

His wife asked me to let you all know.

His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.

Sincerely,

Jason Simanek

Re: Rob G. Healey

Jon Clements-2
On 27/06/12 15:40, Jason Simanek wrote:

> Hello Gramps Devs,
>
> I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:
>
> """"
> to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
> to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
> service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
> as I can.
>
> Rob's loving wife Michelle
> """"
>
> Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
> of Rob here:
> <http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>
>
> His wife asked me to let you all know.
>
> His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
> energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.

Such sad news - I never had the opportunity to meet Rob but we did chat
online now and again; the conversation always came around to something
he wanted to do in Gramps but didn't know how, or where to look... I'll
remember him for his kind nature and determinism to try and do stuff
regardless!

I know it's corny, and may not be suitable, but would it would be
respectful for the name of the next major release to maybe be related to
Rob in someway?

Jon.

Re: Rob G. Healey

Jon Clements-2
On 27/06/12 17:28, Brian Matherly wrote:
>> I know it's corny, and may not be suitable, but would it would be
>> respectful for the name of the next major release to maybe be related to
>> Rob in someway?
> I would support that. I could also imagine a small, respectful and temporary tribute to him on the website somewhere.
>
> ~Brian

I like the idea of a small tribute...

Re: Rob G. Healey

Nick Hall-6
On 27/06/12 15:40, Jason Simanek wrote:

> I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:
>
> """"
> to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
> to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
> service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
> as I can.
>
> Rob's loving wife Michelle
> """"
>
> Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
> of Rob here:
> <http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>
>
> His wife asked me to let you all know.
>
> His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
> energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.

It was a big shock to read this.  I was receiving emails from Rob until
just over a week ago.

He was always helpful and enthusiastic about Gramps.  It will feel
strange without him.

I also like the idea of a tribute to him.

Re: Rob G. Healey

Helge@Gramps
I'm not a part of the dev crew but I tried to help Rob to improve the ImageMetadataGramplet at all and especially for Windows. We have had some good talks about features and bugs and what ever concerning this Gramplet.
Now I am very sad to have lost him.
- Helge

Re: Rob G. Healey

Jason Simanek-2

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also like the idea of a tribute to him.

I could design and construct something to go on the site. You all have
anything specific in mind? It could include a list of maybe some of
his more visible contributions or feature an illustration of some
aspect of his personality, something he liked maybe.

A tribute element could be in the header of the site and a blog post
could be written to go with it.

Jason Simanek

Re: Rob G. Healey

DS Blank
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Jason Simanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Gramps Devs,
>
> I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:
>
> """"
> to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
> to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
> service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
> as I can.
>
> Rob's loving wife Michelle
> """"
>
> Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
> of Rob here:
> <http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>
>
> His wife asked me to let you all know.
>
> His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
> energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jason Simanek

Thanks Jason for letting us know. The last email exchanged I had with
him just nine days ago ended with this:

"""
Dear Doug:

I was just curious...  Thank you for taking the time to answer me!

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey
"""

That short email captures the Rob I grew to know: he was very curious,
and very kind. I only knew him through Gramps development, but I had
many conversations with him about much more.

He will be missed.

-Doug

Re: Rob G. Healey

Brian Matherly
>>  I also like the idea of a tribute to him.

> I could design and construct something to go on the site. You all have
> anything specific in mind? It could include a list of maybe some of
> his more visible contributions or feature an illustration of some
> aspect of his personality, something he liked maybe.
>
> A tribute element could be in the header of the site and a blog post
> could be written to go with it.

I think a blog post would be perfect. It could include:
* A picture
* Dates of his life
* Features he was interested in
* Notable contributions

A quick scan of the mailing list, bug tracker and SVN log would probably complete the last two. I'm not sure where to get the first two.

People can leave their memories in the comments.

Jason,
Could you try to draft something?

~Brian

Re: Rob G. Healey

Jon Clements-2
On 28/06/12 03:42, Brian Matherly wrote:

>>>   I also like the idea of a tribute to him.
>> I could design and construct something to go on the site. You all have
>> anything specific in mind? It could include a list of maybe some of
>> his more visible contributions or feature an illustration of some
>> aspect of his personality, something he liked maybe.
>>
>> A tribute element could be in the header of the site and a blog post
>> could be written to go with it.
> I think a blog post would be perfect. It could include:
> * A picture
> * Dates of his life
> * Features he was interested in
> * Notable contributions
>
> A quick scan of the mailing list, bug tracker and SVN log would probably complete the last two. I'm not sure where to get the first two.
>
> People can leave their memories in the comments.
>
> Jason,
> Could you try to draft something?
>
> ~Brian
I'm looking through chat logs and other correspondence I had with Rob as
some comments he made actually did make me LOL.

If the tribute/blog/comment thing is done correctly, it might be nice
for the family he's left behind that his time and efforts were
appreciated and is sorely missed by the community.

I just imagine him with his sense of humour sitting in heaven saying:
"I've worked ages on that family tree. Someone better update my entry
because I can't!"

Jon.

Re: Rob G. Healey

Adam Stein-3
Can you get a picture from his Facebook page?  What I remember most
about him from the few emails we exchanged was that since he had a lot
of time (due to his poor health), he spent it being on the bleeding edge
(using the trunk version of Gramps, using the alpha version of Fedora,
etc.).  He immediately jumped to the newest version of whatever he was
using instead of waiting for something to stabilize a bit first.

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 19:42 -0700, Brian Matherly wrote:

> >>  I also like the idea of a tribute to him.
>

> > I could design and construct something to go on the site. You all have
> > anything specific in mind? It could include a list of maybe some of
> > his more visible contributions or feature an illustration of some
> > aspect of his personality, something he liked maybe.
> >
> > A tribute element could be in the header of the site and a blog post
> > could be written to go with it.
>
> I think a blog post would be perfect. It could include:
> * A picture
> * Dates of his life
> * Features he was interested in
> * Notable contributions
>
> A quick scan of the mailing list, bug tracker and SVN log would probably complete the last two. I'm not sure where to get the first two.
>
> People can leave their memories in the comments.
>
> Jason,
> Could you try to draft something?
>
> ~Brian

Adam ([hidden email])

Re: Rob G. Healey

John Ralls-2

On Jun 28, 2012, at 3:42 AM, Brian Matherly wrote:

>>> I also like the idea of a tribute to him.
>

>> I could design and construct something to go on the site. You all have
>> anything specific in mind? It could include a list of maybe some of
>> his more visible contributions or feature an illustration of some
>> aspect of his personality, something he liked maybe.
>>
>> A tribute element could be in the header of the site and a blog post
>> could be written to go with it.
>
> I think a blog post would be perfect. It could include:
> * A picture
> * Dates of his life
> * Features he was interested in
> * Notable contributions
>
> A quick scan of the mailing list, bug tracker and SVN log would probably complete the last two. I'm not sure where to get the first two.
>
> People can leave their memories in the comments.

Dick Eastman has already picked it up:
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2012/06/rob-g-healey-rip.html

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Rob G. Healey

We had some private messages and common points.
"I too, like you, do not have a lot of python knowledge.  I learned by
copying examples in the code...".

Without having met him, he seemed courageous (not afraid).

I started to communicate with Rob when he maintained web stuff (style
and reports). He was always ready to test last libraries and features.
He was embarked on projects such as maintenance of NarrativeWeb, style
sheets, metadata on media objects, and recently the possibility of an
alternative installation.

We know that his health declined.
"I want to say thank you personally from me and the future blind users
of Gramps!"

These days, he was still trying to make the code cleaner, always
thinking on the future development.

Jérôme

Jason Simanek a écrit :

> Hello Gramps Devs,
>
> I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:
>
> """"
> to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
> to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
> service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
> as I can.
>
> Rob's loving wife Michelle
> """"
>
> Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
> of Rob here:
> <http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>
>
> His wife asked me to let you all know.
>
> His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
> energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jason Simanek

Re: Rob G. Healey

Benny Malengier
As I remember, his first contribution were css files for the webreport for the visually impaired (high contrast, ...). From there he took over maintenance of narrative web. Eg the alphabet index at the top, the birth/death columns on the index page of people, ...
He cause us once (or twice?) to do a double release due to a bad commit shortly before release :-)
After narweb he started coding in other plugins. Eg, he did the exif metadata gramplet.

Well, that is just of the top of my head...

Like all of us, some things here, some things there, as time permits, for motivations that a lot of people don't grasp.

Benny

Jason Simanek a écrit :
> Hello Gramps Devs,
>
> I saw this yesterday via Rob G. Healey's Facebook account:
>
> """"
> to allthe friends and family of my beloved husband Rob, I'm very sad
> to inform you that Sunday June 24th Rob passed away. I am work[ing] on
> service arrangement today and will post the information here as soon
> as I can.
>
> Rob's loving wife Michelle
> """"
>
> Don't know if this is publicly accessible, but there are some photos
> of Rob here:
> <http://www.facebook.com/rob.g.healey>
>
> His wife asked me to let you all know.
>
> His reach often exceeded his grasp, but Rob was a friend and an
> energetic member of the Gramps community. He will be missed.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jason Simanek

Re: Rob G. Healey

Jason Simanek-2
Hey Guys,

I finally got the OK from Rob's wife Michelle to use one of the photos
from Facebook. I picked one of him and his wife. Hope it's okay.

For the post I just wrote from my personal experience, incorporated some
of what you all said in my primary statement and then included some of
your quotes. I did not include your names. If you'd like me to add yours
back let me know or log in to the site and add it yourself (that's fine
with me).

Otherwise, please use the comments section to add to the tribute.

<http://gramps-project.org/2012/07/in-memory-of-rob-g-healey/>

And please let me know of any errors and any additional text that could
improve the posting.

Jason Simanek