Quantcast

Role and Event tags for source references

Role and Event tags for source references

Frederico Munoz
Hello,

I've referenced this feature request before en passant, but since it
is something that I (perhaps wrongly) find extremely helpful I've
decided to present the case for it more clearly to allow some
additional comments.

The feature request is here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2918 , and concerns
support for some GEDCOM fields that provide a way to indicate the
*type* of event for which a source reference is primary and the *role*
that the person has in that source reference.

I will not duplicate the information I've put in the feature request
(a more detailed explanation is here:
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2924), but I'll add a
quick visual example on how this could be useful. Here (
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4044/capturaecraeventreferen.png ) is
an actual example of a birth record sources. As can be seen there are
a lot of source, and in those are are viewed (the scrollbar hides some
others) the information is only partially pertinent since it is taken
from birth and death records of sons and daughters. There are sources
that are primary in both the *role* of the person and the type of
*event*, and that as such are the ones which I consider "primary" in
terms of dealing with conflicts. In this case it would be the birth
certificate of the individual in question, since that source has the
same *event* (Birth) and that individual is primary (it is *his* birth
record).

I'm bad at doing mock-ups but I might have a go at it if needed, but
it's not hard to imagine that supporting this fields would lead to
being able to provide visual cues (say, colour marking, or even simple
ordering) that would make it easier to find the most pertinent source
that supports the event. As I said in the Research thread it could
even be useful to mark identify a "todo" list: I might have the death
date and place due to an annotation in the birth records, but I'm
still lacking the death record itself (which is useful). I can even
imagine some simple "check mark" visual cue relating to the three main
events (birth, marriage and death) that allows one to quickly see the
status of the sources that support the information.

I may be explaining this the wrong way, but I do think that this would
be very useful, and as far as I know it isn't something common in
genealogy software (I personally haven't found this in any of the ones
I tried).

Regards,

Frederico

Re: Role and Event tags for source references

Julio Sánchez-2

2009/9/16 Frederico Muñoz <[hidden email]>

I may be explaining this the wrong way, but I do think that this would
be very useful, and as far as I know it isn't something common in
genealogy software (I personally haven't found this in any of the ones
I tried).

This database contains many examples of that usage.  Display is imperfect because PhpGedView has only very limited support for it.

Regards,

Julio

Re: Role and Event tags for source references

Frederico Munoz
Hi,

2009/9/16 Julio Sánchez <[hidden email]>:
(...)
> See this for instance:
>
> http://www.enredo.es/gendb/individual.php?pid=I0635&ged=Hinojosas.ged&tab=2
>
> This database contains many examples of that usage.  Display is imperfect
> because PhpGedView has only very limited support for it.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, thanks for the link (which is
useful in many ways since it allows me to compare my way of dealing
with sources with yours, and understand better the surname mechanism
that they use). The tag support is there, and with that I suppose that
PGV can easily apply a different style to the source citations based
on the information (if they choose to implement it).

I'm trying to do a mock-up to better illustrate my idea.

Saludos,

Frederico