SVG export from Dynamic Web?

adrian.davey
Is there some problem with the export of SVG from the Tree of the
Dynamic Web Report under recent releases of Firefox?

I used to be able to open a DWR in Firefox, navigate to a tree, adjust
the number of ancestors and/or descendant levels, then hit the "Save
tree as file" button. The resultant window displays "File ready. This
page provides the SVG raw code. ... " and an OK button. Clicking on that
button now does nothing. Previously it would generate a window
containing the code to be copied & pasted, then edited in e.g. Inkscape.

Has anyone else noticed a change in behaviour?

I am on a Win10 pro 64 machine, running Firefox 69. The very same
process still works as expected in the dreaded MS Internet Explorer.

Adrian Davey

Re: SVG export from Dynamic Web?

Ron Johnson
On 9/29/19 5:53 PM, Adrian Davey wrote:

> Is there some problem with the export of SVG from the Tree of the Dynamic
> Web Report under recent releases of Firefox?
>
> I used to be able to open a DWR in Firefox, navigate to a tree, adjust the
> number of ancestors and/or descendant levels, then hit the "Save tree as
> file" button. The resultant window displays "File ready. This page
> provides the SVG raw code. ... " and an OK button. Clicking on that button
> now does nothing. Previously it would generate a window containing the
> code to be copied & pasted, then edited in e.g. Inkscape.
>
> Has anyone else noticed a change in behaviour?
>
> I am on a Win10 pro 64 machine, running Firefox 69. The very same process
> still works as expected in the dreaded MS Internet Explorer.

What version of Gramps and the DWR plugin?  What have you updated (or has
been automatically updated for you) lately?

Re: SVG export from Dynamic Web?

adrian.davey
No recent updates to gramps or plugins—I am still on AIO64-5.0.1-1

I was using the svg export extensively just 3 months ago, but that was
probably several versions of firefox earlier than 69 now

The unsuccessful behaviour now is from a version of the DWR generated 3
months ago, so no change on the gramps side is indicated. That
formerly-successful version of the DWR now appears to be consistently
problematic on different machines running the current version of firefox.

I have just run a test with that same June 2019 DWR on an older laptop
still running ffx 66 and it all works fine, so I think the problem is
with firefox not gramps. But it would still be useful to be able to fix it!

Adrian Davey

On 2019-09-30 09:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
> What version of Gramps and the DWR plugin?  What have you updated (or
> has been automatically updated for you) lately?

Re: SVG export from Dynamic Web?

Ron Johnson
Filing a bug with FF should also be in the cards.

On 9/29/19 8:25 PM, Adrian Davey wrote:

> No recent updates to gramps or plugins—I am still on AIO64-5.0.1-1
>
> I was using the svg export extensively just 3 months ago, but that was
> probably several versions of firefox earlier than 69 now
>
> The unsuccessful behaviour now is from a version of the DWR generated 3
> months ago, so no change on the gramps side is indicated. That
> formerly-successful version of the DWR now appears to be consistently
> problematic on different machines running the current version of firefox.
>
> I have just run a test with that same June 2019 DWR on an older laptop
> still running ffx 66 and it all works fine, so I think the problem is with
> firefox not gramps. But it would still be useful to be able to fix it!
>
> Adrian Davey
>
> On 2019-09-30 09:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> What version of Gramps and the DWR plugin?  What have you updated (or has
>> been automatically updated for you) lately?

Re: SVG export from Dynamic Web?

James Harvey
I have been using DWR extensively and have found the same problem when running DWR from a file.  If you run it under a web server everything should be fine.

I am pretty sure the problem you have encountered is due to the latest version of Firefox changing its Cross-Origin Request policy.  See http://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/CORS/Errors/CORSRequestNotHttp. This is a tightened security measure and so is a good thing but causes problems for applications like DWR that are designed to run independently of a web server.  The error message comes up on the console if you run ffx in developer mode.

If you do not have your own web server there is no easy solution but DWR as generated from Gramps itself runs without a problem. It is only if you try to access additional files in sub-directories.

Hope this helps

James Harvey

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 at 02:40, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Filing a bug with FF should also be in the cards.

On 9/29/19 8:25 PM, Adrian Davey wrote:
> No recent updates to gramps or plugins—I am still on AIO64-5.0.1-1
>
> I was using the svg export extensively just 3 months ago, but that was
> probably several versions of firefox earlier than 69 now
>
> The unsuccessful behaviour now is from a version of the DWR generated 3
> months ago, so no change on the gramps side is indicated. That
> formerly-successful version of the DWR now appears to be consistently
> problematic on different machines running the current version of firefox.
>
> I have just run a test with that same June 2019 DWR on an older laptop
> still running ffx 66 and it all works fine, so I think the problem is with
> firefox not gramps. But it would still be useful to be able to fix it!
>
> Adrian Davey
>
> On 2019-09-30 09:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> What version of Gramps and the DWR plugin?  What have you updated (or has
>> been automatically updated for you) lately?

Re: SVG export from Dynamic Web?

adrian.davey

It does seem this change in Firefox security is the issue.

The same problem may yet arise with other browser software, when/if they implement a similar security measure.

Running the SVG creation file in Firefox 68+ via a web server [e.g. x.x.x.x/path...] successfully generates the SVG code page from which the content can be copied to editor.

Running the same file directly from disk [e.g. open file > drive:\path...] is regarded as "insecure" [not that the console error message is at all informative!], and thus the "OK" button does nothing.

For other users who encounter this restriction on generating SVG code, at least on Win machines, if you were not already running a web server, you can fairly easily install & configure IIS to enable localhost access, restricting access to the local loopback IP address for security.

Adrian Davey