Sample report

Don Allingham
I've been working on some of the reports. The current one I am working
on is derived from the Detailed Ancestral Report (written by Bruce
DeGrasse). Most of the changes involve the text generation, which should
be common between most reports and should be set up for much easier
translation.

Most of the changes are fairly subtle, but the text should be more
readable.

A current sample can be found at
http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.pdf

Comments are welcome.

Don

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: Sample report

Brian Matherly-2
I give it an A+.

"Luella Jacques was the child of Henry Martel and Ruth Ann Hébert."

Is there any value in optionally including birth and death dates for every
person even if they are not closely related to the person. The reason I suggest
this is that it might help people make connections between this report and
other information they might have.

Keep up the good work.

~Brian

--- Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been working on some of the reports. The current one I am working
> on is derived from the Detailed Ancestral Report (written by Bruce
> DeGrasse). Most of the changes involve the text generation, which should
> be common between most reports and should be set up for much easier
> translation.
>
> Most of the changes are fairly subtle, but the text should be more
> readable.
>
> A current sample can be found at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.pdf
>
> Comments are welcome.
>
> Don
>
> --
> Don Allingham
> http://don.allingham.org

Re: Sample report

Jay Treacy
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:15:51PM -0600, Don Allingham wrote:
> I've been working on some of the reports. The current one I am working
> on is derived from the Detailed Ancestral Report (written by Bruce
> DeGrasse). Most of the changes involve the text generation, which should
> be common between most reports and should be set up for much easier
> translation.

Pages 2 and 3 do not display properly in gv(*). Acroread displays
fine. If you can't replicate it, I can send a screenshot.

(*) Using debian sid.

--
James Treacy

Re: Sample report

Stefan Björk
Don,

> I've been working on some of the reports.

Good work!

> Comments are welcome.

i. Eugene Stanley Garner : Born: 1 Dec 1895 Portsmouth, OH,
    Died: 1 Mar 1984 Twin Falls, ID.

A matter of taste, but I don't really like the capitalized parts here,
and colons decreases readability, IMHO.

i. Eugene Stanley Garner, born 1 Dec 1895 in Portsmouth, OH,
    died 1 Mar 1984 in Twin Falls, ID.

This is my preference. At least, this will look better in swedish, since
capitalized words are used very rarely, if ever.

Stefan

Re: Sample report

Steve Hall-4
From: Don Allingham, Oct 11, 2005 12:15 AM

> I've been working on some of the reports. The current one I am
> working on is derived from the Detailed Ancestral Report (written by
> Bruce DeGrasse). Most of the changes involve the text generation,
> which should be common between most reports and should be set up for
> much easier translation.
>
> Most of the changes are fairly subtle, but the text should be more
> readable.
>
> A current sample can be found at
> http://gramps-project.org/files/sample.pdf
>
> Comments are welcome.

Will report names solidify as they progress? They will be easier to
refine if we can agree on what each is trying to be. Those not
conforming to a standard format (http://www.saintclair.org/numbers/)
could still benefit from having a descriptive name.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]

Re: Sample report

Stefan Björk
Don,

> I've been working on some of the reports. The current one I am working
> on is derived from the Detailed Ancestral Report (written by Bruce
> DeGrasse). Most of the changes involve the text generation, which should
> be common between most reports and should be set up for much easier
> translation.
>
> Comments are welcome.

Excellent work. I also tried the CVS version of the report generator on my own
data. Some comments:

First, I really like the name handling with the option to use the nickname as
common name. This solves the most important - although not all - issues
regarding names I discuss elsewhere on this list. Very good.

In the child list, I'd prefer removing colons and no capitalized letters, like:

   i. Eugene Stanley Garner, born 1 Dec 1895 in Portsmouth,
      OH, died 1 Mar 1984 inn Twin Falls, ID.

Capitalization is very rare in the swedish language, and I guess the above
format is preferred in the translation. However, this can't be done since the
first colon is hard-coded.

I also came across two bugs in the Detailed Ancestor Report. The first one is
that sources are listed at the end, wich text and comments from the first
occurence only. If text and comments from the source should be included, I
think the sources should be listed either on every page or after every entry.
Otherwise, the list at the end should only contain the source title, author and
publishing information.

The second bug is a text string only: '212. Hans Olsson. is the same person as
[210].' There's a dot after the name - or the string need to be rephrased.

Stefan

PS: I just saw the new anchestors chart in the Narrative Web Site. Wonderful! DS