Searching for Events with incorrect Roles

Searching for Events with incorrect Roles

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I evidently created an Event with a 'p' Role.

And there are other Events where I used the Clipboard and failed to change the role from the default "Unknown" to "Primary" or "Family"

I'd like to search for these but don't a filter for Role other than a Checkbox in a People filter to include only "Primary"

Any suggestions for how I can search for these Roles so that they can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian

Re: Searching for Events with incorrect Roles

Wow, Paul!  You've given us a way to build custom filter rules!

That's worth some time exploring. Thanks for the sample.  Think I'll take this slow as a Python learning exercise using the example.gramps tree. (Hopefully to follow up with a manual section. It would be good if you don't have to answer the same question again next year.)

In the meantime, I expanded a backup file and tweaked it with Notepad++. (This facilitated cleaning out all the other accidental customizations... such as where Suffix entries were typed into surname Origin fields. And spelling inconsistencies were easier to comprehensively correct that way too.)

I did experience 3 failure cycles importing the expanded & edited .gramps backup file.  For some reason, several HTML entities ( &amp;  and &gt;  ) were corrupted with the semicolons being incorrectly converted to colons. Fortunately, the Gramps import status dialog identified the line and column and that made it easy to find the errors & fix. Once the import completed without a warning, I deleted the tree & imported into a new, blank tree.

With this process, I was able find and clean out ALL those distracting extra menu items. Considering the file had over 685,000 lines, it was more time effective than editing record-by-record.

-Brian

 On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:13 PM Emyoulation---  wrote:

 I evidently created an Event with a 'p' Role.

 And there are other Events where I used the Clipboard and failed to change the role from the default "Unknown" to "Primary" or "Family"

 I'd like to search for these but don't a filter for Role other than a Checkbox in a People filter to include only "Primary"

 Any suggestions for how I can search for these Roles so that they can be fixed?

 Thanks in advance,

 -Brian

Re: Searching for Events with incorrect Roles

Doug-11
Paul,
Can you add this as a filter rule in Add-ons (preferably) or give a reference to the code?

Doug

On 26/10/2018 20:48, Paul Culley wrote:
You might be able to do something with information from this thread http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Help-with-filtering-for-roles-td4680452.html

Paul C.

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 12:13 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
I evidently created an Event with a 'p' Role.

And there are other Events where I used the Clipboard and failed to change the role from the default "Unknown" to "Primary" or "Family"

I'd like to search for these but don't a filter for Role other than a Checkbox in a People filter to include only "Primary"

Any suggestions for how I can search for these Roles so that they can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,
-Brian

Re: Searching for Events with incorrect Roles

prculley
Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to figure out how to do a filter rule via an addon.  I actually made one once, only to find out that Gramps processes the custom filter settings file before it adds the addons.  As a result, errors are produced when the new addon rule is not found (because it had not been loaded yet).  And the custom filter using the rule would be lost.  The user would have to remake his filter settings every time he wanted to use the rule.  Not friendly...

I'll have to see if the standard Gramps code can be modified to allow filter rules via addons.

Paul C.