Select (existing) Place Window (and other selecting windows) in Gramps 4.0.2 for Mac

Select (existing) Place Window (and other selecting windows) in Gramps 4.0.2 for Mac

Kenneth Mantei
   If I am not sending my plea for help to the right place, please, anyone, point me right via personal email:  [hidden email]. I know about the official bug report page but it looks too difficult to use.

   In Gramps 4.0.1 many windows show lists from which one may choose. I find some of these windows in 4.0.2 have only two live lines displayed at the top of otherwise blank gray windows. They scroll, but very slowly. One can drag the "thumb" up and down but the movement is then way too rapid. I don't see any preference setting and doubt there is one because I can restart in 4.0.1, without changing anything, and the windows work fine. Any ideas how to fix 4.0.2?

---Kenneth Mantei

Re: Select (existing) Place Window (and other selecting windows) in Gramps 4.0.2 for Mac

John Ralls-2

On Feb 15, 2014, at 12:47 AM, Kenneth Mantei <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   If I am not sending my plea for help to the right place, please, anyone, point me right via personal email:  [hidden email]. I know about the official bug report page but it looks too difficult to use.
>
>   In Gramps 4.0.1 many windows show lists from which one may choose. I find some of these windows in 4.0.2 have only two live lines displayed at the top of otherwise blank gray windows. They scroll, but very slowly. One can drag the "thumb" up and down but the movement is then way too rapid. I don't see any preference setting and doubt there is one because I can restart in 4.0.1, without changing anything, and the windows work fine. Any ideas how to fix 4.0.2?

This is a well-known and much discussed problem which we think is resolved in 4.0.3, which we just released. Please try it out.

For reference, the most recent bug on the topic is https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7409.

Regards,
John Ralls

On Feb 15, 2014, at 3:23 PM, Kenneth Mantei <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Many thanks for your response, John. I neglected to mention my OS . . . Mac OS X 10.6 and I don't see 4.0.3 release available yet. I'll wait and keep checking.
>
>   Somehow I ended up on a page claiming to download the latest Mac OS X version but it involved downloading and installing additional software to manage my download and keep me up to date. I'll wait for a clean download like my previous Gramps downloads.
>
>   I don't want to miss any opportunity to thank you and others involved for hanging in the saddle as your pony has grown into a Clydsdale. ;-)

Please remember to copy the list on all replies; use “Reply All” (the double-arrow icon).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.0.3/Gramps-Intel-4.0.3-1.dmg/download has been available since 31 January. Dunno what other page you’re looking at, but SourceForge is the authoritative download location.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Gramps 4.0.3 Intel (for Mac) fixed my 4.0.2 selection window problem. Thanks!

Kenneth Mantei
On Feb 15, 2014, at 5:39 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gramps/files/Stable/4.0.3/Gramps-Intel-4.0.3-1.dmg/download has been available since 31 January.
>
> Please remember to copy the list on all replies; use “Reply All” (the double-arrow icon).
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I don't want to miss any opportunity to thank you and others involved for hanging in the saddle as your pony has grown into a Clydsdale. ;-)
My selection windows work well again in 4.0.3-1.

---Kenneth Mantei