Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Adam Stein
Still getting used to the new look.  In the previous version I was using
(v2.0.11), when you added a source to "something", you had a drop-down
menu that allowed you to select an pre-existing source.

Version 2.2.4 doesn't have that.  I can drag-n-drop a source, which
would fill in the fields.  Is that how I'm suppose to do it, or is there
still a drop down menu equivalent hiding somewhere?  It seems a little
more inconvenient to me to have to use the drag-n-drop method since I
have to have multiple windows open whereas the drop down menu was on the
same window.
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Richard Taylor-2
Adam

If I understand your question correctly then ...

When adding a Source there are usually 4 buttons: a '+' button for adding a
completely new source; a button to add an existing source; a button to edit
the selected source; and a '-' to remove a source.

You need to use the button that 'adds an existing source'. This will create a
new source entry on the current object with the selected source used as
the 'Shared Source' component. Unlike 2.0.11, in 2.2 Sources are split into
two elements: a Shared part that is can be the same on many objects; and a
object specific part that is particular to a object. This means that if you
alter the Shared part of the Source it will be altered on all objects that
have a Source entry linked to that Shared Source.

This may appear a little confusing at first but it does mean that you don't
end up will hundreds or thousands Sources many of which are almost identical.
When this is linked to the Repositories that can be used to record the
physical (or web) location of the Shared Sources, you have a powerful of
recording all of your primary source records.

I hope that I have explained this in an understandable way.

Regards

Richard

On Thursday 28 December 2006 20:42, Adam Stein wrote:

> Still getting used to the new look.  In the previous version I was using
> (v2.0.11), when you added a source to "something", you had a drop-down
> menu that allowed you to select an pre-existing source.
>
> Version 2.2.4 doesn't have that.  I can drag-n-drop a source, which
> would fill in the fields.  Is that how I'm suppose to do it, or is there
> still a drop down menu equivalent hiding somewhere?  It seems a little
> more inconvenient to me to have to use the drag-n-drop method since I
> have to have multiple windows open whereas the drop down menu was on the
> same window.

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Adam Stein
I might not have explained myself clearly.  V2.0.11 also had the concept
of a shared part of the source and an specific part.  This time I come
prepared with an illustration.  Referring to the image at:

        http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/gramps.png

This is a screen capture showing the Source Information window for
v2.0.11.  I'm creating a NEW source for an object by using the PLUS
sign.  This brings up the Source Information window.  What I'm
specifically talking about is the drop down menu labeled "Title" in the
Source Information window.  This allows me to choose an existing source
(containing the shared information as you mentioned).  In v2.2.4, there
is no drop down menu.  It seems that I have to drag-n-drop an existing
source from the main Gramps window to fill in the shared information
fields.  The private object specific fields are still there as in
v2.0.11.

The difference is that in v2.0.11, a drop down menu is provided to pick
the shared source information, while in v2.2.4, the shared information
fields are shown instead within the source information window.

--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Gerald Britton-2
Don't use the "+" to add an existing source to an event and don't drag
n drop either. Just click the source select button instead and a
dialog will pop up.

Fwiw, if many events have the same source info (both general and
specific, like a census record) you can drag the source reference from
one event to another. In fact, you can drag and drop event refs as
well.

Hth

On 12/29/06, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Still getting used to the new look.  In the previous version I was using
> > > (v2.0.11), when you added a source to "something", you had a drop-down
> > > menu that allowed you to select an pre-existing source.
> > >
> > > Version 2.2.4 doesn't have that.  I can drag-n-drop a source, which
> > > would fill in the fields.  Is that how I'm suppose to do it, or is there
> > > still a drop down menu equivalent hiding somewhere?  It seems a little
> > > more inconvenient to me to have to use the drag-n-drop method since I
> > > have to have multiple windows open whereas the drop down menu was on the
> > > same window.
> >
> --
> Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]
>
> Disclaimer: All views expressed
> here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Thanks.  I don't know why I didn't even both trying the "existing
source" button.  It's now set up like other parts of Gramps with a new
(plus sign) and existing button.  I have dragged and dropped references
from one item to another, even using the scratch pad to hold a source
reference so that I could copy it.  Very useful feature, that scratch
pad.  I'll have to see if this version holds more than v2.0.11 (only
held sources, didn't hold addresses or any other piece of information I
tried to copy to it).

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:18 -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:

> [...]
> > don't
> > > end up will hundreds or thousands Sources many of which are almost
> > identical.
> > > When this is linked to the Repositories that can be used to record the
> > > physical (or web) location of the Shared Sources, you have a powerful of
> > > recording all of your primary source records.
> > >
> > > I hope that I have explained this in an understandable way.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Richard

> > --
> > Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]
> >
> > Disclaimer: All views expressed
> > here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Don Allingham
Adam,

Sorry I'm so late to the discussion.

The problem with the drop down menu in 2.0.11 was that it took a long
time to build. People who had hundreds of sources had to wait several
seconds for the dialog to display as we scanned through the database to
build up the information for the menu. This was very painful, especially
if you only wanted to view the data.

The "Share" button (select existing source) was added to be more
consistent, and to make sure that the database scanning only took place
when you wanted to make a change.

Also, the ScratchPad has been significantly enhanced, allowing this to
be used quickly. Many people tend to have a couple of "default sources"
that get used over and over again. The ScratchPad allows you to place
these sources where they are easily accessible. The d-n-d from the
ScratchPad is instantaneous. As Gerald indicated, you can place sources
or even completed source references on the scratchpad.

I would recommend that people spend some time with the scratchpad. It
can make life much easier. It can hold people, sources, places,
addresses, events, event references, notes, etc.

Don

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:39 -0500, Adam Stein wrote:

> Thanks.  I don't know why I didn't even both trying the "existing
> source" button.  It's now set up like other parts of Gramps with a new
> (plus sign) and existing button.  I have dragged and dropped references
> from one item to another, even using the scratch pad to hold a source
> reference so that I could copy it.  Very useful feature, that scratch
> pad.  I'll have to see if this version holds more than v2.0.11 (only
> held sources, didn't hold addresses or any other piece of information I
> tried to copy to it).
>
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:18 -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:
> > Don't use the "+" to add an existing source to an event and don't drag
> > n drop either. Just click the source select button instead and a
> > dialog will pop up.
> >
> > Fwiw, if many events have the same source info (both general and
> > specific, like a census record) you can drag the source reference from
> > one event to another. In fact, you can drag and drop event refs as
> > well.
> >
> > Hth
> >
> > On 12/29/06, Adam Stein <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I might not have explained myself clearly.  V2.0.11 also had the concept
> > > of a shared part of the source and an specific part.  This time I come
> > > prepared with an illustration.  Referring to the image at:
> > >
> > > http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/gramps.png
> > >
> > > This is a screen capture showing the Source Information window for
> > > v2.0.11.  I'm creating a NEW source for an object by using the PLUS
> > > sign.  This brings up the Source Information window.  What I'm
> > > specifically talking about is the drop down menu labeled "Title" in the
> > > Source Information window.  This allows me to choose an existing source
> > > (containing the shared information as you mentioned).  In v2.2.4, there
> > > is no drop down menu.  It seems that I have to drag-n-drop an existing
> > > source from the main Gramps window to fill in the shared information
> > > fields.  The private object specific fields are still there as in
> > > v2.0.11.
> > >
> > > The difference is that in v2.0.11, a drop down menu is provided to pick
> > > the shared source information, while in v2.2.4, the shared information
> > > fields are shown instead within the source information window.

> > > edit

> > > create a
> > > into
> > > you

> > > don't
> > > identical.

> > > --
> > > Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]
> > >
> > > Disclaimer: All views expressed
> > > here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Gerald Britton-2
What I've been doing lately (thanks to recently-made-available census
records), is building an event for one person in a household (adding
the new source if necessary), then, keeping the first person open,
opening up the other people in the household and dragging the event
from the first person to the other folks without using the scratch
pad.  I've found this to be fast and reliable, plus the non-shared
part of the event or source, which for a census I use to capture page,
line and household numbers along with microfilm references, is copied
as well.

On 12/29/06, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Sorry I'm so late to the discussion.
>
> The problem with the drop down menu in 2.0.11 was that it took a long
> time to build. People who had hundreds of sources had to wait several
> seconds for the dialog to display as we scanned through the database to
> build up the information for the menu. This was very painful, especially
> if you only wanted to view the data.
>
> The "Share" button (select existing source) was added to be more
> consistent, and to make sure that the database scanning only took place
> when you wanted to make a change.
>
> Also, the ScratchPad has been significantly enhanced, allowing this to
> be used quickly. Many people tend to have a couple of "default sources"
> that get used over and over again. The ScratchPad allows you to place
> these sources where they are easily accessible. The d-n-d from the
> ScratchPad is instantaneous. As Gerald indicated, you can place sources
> or even completed source references on the scratchpad.
>
> I would recommend that people spend some time with the scratchpad. It
> can make life much easier. It can hold people, sources, places,
> addresses, events, event references, notes, etc.
>
> Don
>

> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:39 -0500, Adam Stein wrote:
> > Thanks.  I don't know why I didn't even both trying the "existing
> > source" button.  It's now set up like other parts of Gramps with a new
> > (plus sign) and existing button.  I have dragged and dropped references
> > from one item to another, even using the scratch pad to hold a source
> > reference so that I could copy it.  Very useful feature, that scratch
> > pad.  I'll have to see if this version holds more than v2.0.11 (only
> > held sources, didn't hold addresses or any other piece of information I
> > tried to copy to it).
> >
> > On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:18 -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:
> > > Don't use the "+" to add an existing source to an event and don't drag
> > > n drop either. Just click the source select button instead and a
> > > dialog will pop up.
> > >
> > > Fwiw, if many events have the same source info (both general and
> > > specific, like a census record) you can drag the source reference from
> > > one event to another. In fact, you can drag and drop event refs as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Hth

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Adam Stein
I have used the scratchpad in v2.0.11.  It was VERY convienent.  I just
wish I could copy every piece of information to it (it seemed to be
limited to just source info in v2.0.11).

I do like the new way of handling existing sources.  As you said, the
drop down menu was slow to build.  It was also slow to get to the bottom
of the list.  The current method is now more aligned with the rest of
how Gramps works and is faster to get to any entry since you type like
you would to get to an entry in any other table.

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 08:56 -0700, Don Allingham wrote:

> Adam,
>
> Sorry I'm so late to the discussion.
>
> The problem with the drop down menu in 2.0.11 was that it took a long
> time to build. People who had hundreds of sources had to wait several
> seconds for the dialog to display as we scanned through the database to
> build up the information for the menu. This was very painful, especially
> if you only wanted to view the data.
>
> The "Share" button (select existing source) was added to be more
> consistent, and to make sure that the database scanning only took place
> when you wanted to make a change.
>
> Also, the ScratchPad has been significantly enhanced, allowing this to
> be used quickly. Many people tend to have a couple of "default sources"
> that get used over and over again. The ScratchPad allows you to place
> these sources where they are easily accessible. The d-n-d from the
> ScratchPad is instantaneous. As Gerald indicated, you can place sources
> or even completed source references on the scratchpad.
>
> I would recommend that people spend some time with the scratchpad. It
> can make life much easier. It can hold people, sources, places,
> addresses, events, event references, notes, etc.
>
> Don
>

> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:39 -0500, Adam Stein wrote:
> > Thanks.  I don't know why I didn't even both trying the "existing
> > source" button.  It's now set up like other parts of Gramps with a new
> > (plus sign) and existing button.  I have dragged and dropped references
> > from one item to another, even using the scratch pad to hold a source
> > reference so that I could copy it.  Very useful feature, that scratch
> > pad.  I'll have to see if this version holds more than v2.0.11 (only
> > held sources, didn't hold addresses or any other piece of information I
> > tried to copy to it).
> >
> > On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:18 -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:
> > > Don't use the "+" to add an existing source to an event and don't drag
> > > n drop either. Just click the source select button instead and a
> > > dialog will pop up.
> > >
> > > Fwiw, if many events have the same source info (both general and
> > > specific, like a census record) you can drag the source reference from
> > > one event to another. In fact, you can drag and drop event refs as
> > > well.
> > >
> > > Hth

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

Re: Selecting an existing source in v2.2.4?

Don Allingham
The scratchpad should now be able to hold any piece of information that
can be dragged and dropped. This includes:

- Address
- Event
- Place
- URL