Separating/splitting a Family Tree

KimFella
Does anyone know how to select specific records/people (and all their data) and save them off to a new Family Tree?  Essentially so I can have a small database of only the people I am working with.

Re: Separating/splitting a Family Tree

Ron Johnson
Use tags and filters to export just the people you want.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Separating/splitting a Family Tree

KimFella
Thank you.

Wouldn't you know it, I just closed Gramps before I saw your post, so I can't try it now.  Tags? Not at all sure about that, but by filters you mean the same filter that I use to find a particular record/person
? And when I have the records selected I go to Manage Family Trees and click Export? That actually sounds easy :)

I'll have to try that the next time I open Gramps.

Mike K.

On 01/19/2016 05:14 PM, KimFella wrote:
> Thank you.
>
> Wouldn't you know it, I just closed Gramps before I saw your post, so I
> can't try it now.  Tags? Not at all sure about that, but by filters you mean
> the same filter that I use to find a particular record/person?

Kinda.  At the bottom of the Filter tab is "Custom filter".  To the far
right of that is an Edit icon.  From there, you can create named filters.

> And when I have the records selected I go to Manage Family Trees and click
> Export? That actually sounds easy :)

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Separating/splitting a Family Tree

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Kimfella <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:43:15 -0800 (PST)
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Gramps-users] Separating/splitting a Family Tree

> Does anyone know how to select specific records/people (and all their data)
> and save them off to a new Family Tree?  Essentially so I can have a small
> database of only the people I am working with.

Why do you want to separate out a part of your family tree?
It is rather difficult to merge separate trees and quite easy to manage
all the data in one database.  You can use filters and tags if you only
want to work with a part of the database.

I'd recommend you review this before splitting data off, as it is rather
difficult to reverse this move.

HTH

Peter

Re: Separating/splitting a Family Tree

KimFella
Peter Hewett-2 wrote
------------------------
From: Kimfella <[hidden email]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:43:15 -0800 (PST)
To: [hidden email]

> Does anyone know how to select specific records/people (and all their data)
> and save them off to a new Family Tree?  Essentially so I can have a small
> database of only the people I am working with.

Why do you want to separate out a part of your family tree?
It is rather difficult to merge separate trees and quite easy to manage
all the data in one database.  You can use filters and tags if you only
want to work with a part of the database.

I'd recommend you review this before splitting data off, as it is rather
difficult to reverse this move.

HTH

Peter
I'm working on a fan-fiction project with a GEDCOM of thousands.  I figure it will be easier to split out the records for my characters, and their close relatives and work with that than to work with the giant GEDCOM.  Plus I can add any additional characters I invent.

Although if I can sort out how filters and tags work I may be able to save off a 'view' of the database that only sees the characters I'm interested in.  So far my experience with Gramps and this one gedcom is that it is SO SLOW and hopefully a smaller database would be faster.

Since my copy of the gedcom is never going to be uploaded my changes and additions won't corrupt the 'real' gedcom.

(and look! I found how to quote the message I'm replying to.)

Re: Separating/splitting a Family Tree

enno
Hello Michael,
> I'm working on a fan-fiction project with a GEDCOM of thousands.  I figure
> it will be easier to split out the records for my characters, and their
> close relatives and work with that than to work with the giant GEDCOM.  Plus
> I can add any additional characters I invent.
>
> Although if I can sort out how filters and tags work I may be able to save
> off a 'view' of the database that only sees the characters I'm interested
> in.  So far my experience with Gramps and this one gedcom is that it is SO
> SLOW and hopefully a smaller database would be faster.
My tree is close to 30 000 persons, and I don't see anything slow in
that. Gramps is not the fastest when it comes to GEDCOM import, but
normally that's something that you do just once.

Can you explain what sort of slowness you see? In which version of Gramps?

regards,