Several related somewhat complicated filters

Several related somewhat complicated filters

Per Starbäck
I have written a person filter in several steps which I use when
exporting a GED file that I want to import as the tree for a specific
person in a DNA service (ftdna).

The filter uses several help filters to AND and OR stuff together.
It's specific for this particular person in that some of these
subfilters reference that person's ID and a tag that is set for
persons who are DNA matches for the person on the service.

Is there some convenient way to make build several filters similar to
this, but for other persons, that is with another base ID and another
tag used for matches?

Re: Several related somewhat complicated filters

Dave Scheipers
Hi Per,

I have a similar filter built to isolate just the segment of my tree
that will be relevant to a cousin. A cousin on my mother's side of the
family would not be interested in my father's family.

The key to the filter is that I just change the one line to set the
cousin's ID number. All other logic builds off that ID.

However, if you want multiple versions of the same filter(s) you can
try manipulating the custom_filters.xml filter file. This file is
where all the filters you build are stored. I'm using windows10 so it
is in
user\%username%\AppData\roaming\gramps\gramps42\custom_filters.xml

FYI custom_filters.xml can be copied into the 50 directory so you do
not have to rebuild every filter again after an upgrade.

HTH, Dave

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:12 PM, Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have written a person filter in several steps which I use when
> exporting a GED file that I want to import as the tree for a specific
> person in a DNA service (ftdna).
>
> The filter uses several help filters to AND and OR stuff together.
> It's specific for this particular person in that some of these
> subfilters reference that person's ID and a tag that is set for
> persons who are DNA matches for the person on the service.
>
> Is there some convenient way to make build several filters similar to
> this, but for other persons, that is with another base ID and another
> tag used for matches?

Re: Several related somewhat complicated filters

Per Starbäck
> you can
> try manipulating the custom_filters.xml filter file. This file is
> where all the filters you build are stored.

Ah, great! That will work fine for me. I tried first to just edit it
on the fly, but the running Gramps didn't pick up the changes. I guess
I have to restart Gramps for this. This also answers another question
I have had, which is how to change the *order* of rules in a filter.
(Since I suppose that the order can matter for speed for AND and OR
filters. The rules are checked in the order given, aren't they?)

Re: Several related somewhat complicated filters

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 02:19:29 +0200
Per Starbäck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Per,

>on the fly, but the running Gramps didn't pick up the changes. I guess
>I have to restart Gramps for this. This also answers another question

Yes.  Also, you'll notice that when updating or installing a new
Gramplet/plugin, Gramps will advise you to restart for them to become
effective.

>(Since I suppose that the order can matter for speed for AND and OR
>filters. The rules are checked in the order given, aren't they?)

I believe so, yes.

--
 Regards  _
This is the fifty first state of the USA