Quantcast

Sharing sources

Johan Vromans
Hi,

I have a source, e.g. "Baptize Registry Haarlem" that I can use with
an event giving it reference information details like Volume/page:
"Year 1824 number 45". I also store the text of the article under
reference information Notes.

I have several events that refer to this source, so I would like to
share it. The whole thins, including the Volume/page and Note details.
Is this possible?

-- Johan

Re: Sharing sources

Gerald Britton-2
I think you are talking about sharing a source reference which gramps
cannot do. What you can do is copy the reference, either with drag and
drop from your sources for one person to your sources for another one,
or you can use the clipboard to do the same thing.  The disadvantage
is that if you find a mistake after making 50 copies, you have to fix
it 50 times.  So, double-check before you do the copies.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a source, e.g. "Baptize Registry Haarlem" that I can use with
> an event giving it reference information details like Volume/page:
> "Year 1824 number 45". I also store the text of the article under
> reference information Notes.
>
> I have several events that refer to this source, so I would like to
> share it. The whole thins, including the Volume/page and Note details.
> Is this possible?
>
> -- Johan

Gerald Britton

Re: Sharing sources

Johan Vromans
Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think you are talking about sharing a source reference

Yes.

> which gramps cannot do.

Ok...

-- Johan

Re: Sharing sources

Frederico Munoz
Hi,

Just my 0.5€ on the issue

2010/1/14 Johan Vromans <[hidden email]>:
> Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> I think you are talking about sharing a source reference
>
> Yes.
>
>> which gramps cannot do.
>
> Ok...

This is a common request, and one which I also did about a year ago.
It is still popular, and there is no "right and wrong" here, but let
me at least advance one example that works best without sharing a
source reference.

You have that "Baptize Registry Haarlem" (curiously I "stumbled" upon
Haarlem about an hour ago while reading a book about the Eighty Years
War, small world), a source, and that "Year 1824 number 45", a source
reference. This is also what I do (there is also a "school of thought"
that makes each "page" a separate source). That record contains
information that substantiates several different events (say, baptism
and birth of the individual, possibly marriage of the parents, name of
the grandparents, etc). For this I use, as Gerald said, the Clipboard
to *copy* (and not share) this source reference. Now, what I also do
is to add a Source Citation in order to clearly show exactly how I
derived the information from the source reference. From GEDCOM
(emphasis mine):

>The <<SOURCE_CITATION>> structure is placed *subordinate to the fact being cited*. It is
>generally best if the source citation contains *only information specific to the fact being cited* and
>then points to the more general description of the source, defined in a SOURCE_RECORD

What this means is that (and this is an example, it depends a lot on
the actual source) if I have a birth event for the father that can be
taken from the source I will add something like "[...]In this year of
1756 [...] son of Mauricius Nassau, aged 23...[...]" as a Source
Citation (which is a kind of Note) to the *source citation* field.
This makes this specific source reference unique, since this citation
is only relevant for this event, and no other. If source references
were shared this wouldn't be possible.

The above works rather well in my view, as shown for example on the
output of the Narrative Web report. It as actually allowed me to
correct bas assumptions since after a while I'm not sure exactly why I
did calculate the date of a specific event, and if I made an error it
will likely stay undiscovered for a longer time since I will tend to
trust my original entry and avoid reading the whole source again just
to check.

Regards,

Frederico

Re: Sharing sources

Frederico Munoz
Small mistake that could lead to a difficult interpretation:

2010/1/14 Frederico Muñoz <[hidden email]>:

> What this means is that (and this is an example, it depends a lot on
> the actual source) if I have a birth event for the father that can be
> taken from the source I will add something like "[...]In this year of
> 1756 [...] son of Mauricius Nassau, aged 23...[...]" as a Source
> Citation (which is a kind of Note) to the *source citation* field.

That should be Source Reference, the top pane in the dialog.

Regards,

Frederico