Shortcut key for OK?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Is there a shortcut key for OK?

I have installed Gramps of Mac OS X, and the escape key works for cancel, but neither the 'enter' nor the 'return' keys work for OK in the various editors and dialogue boxes. On other operating systems, is there a shortcut key for OK?

If there is, and anyone could tell me how it is implemented, that would help to fix the Mac OS X port!

Regards,
Tim.

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Benny Malengier
On linux the OK has the O underlined, so alt+o presses the key.
I think it is standard GTK+ that is invoked

Benny

2008/11/24 guylinton <[hidden email]>

Is there a shortcut key for OK?

I have installed Gramps of Mac OS X, and the escape key works for cancel,
but neither the 'enter' nor the 'return' keys work for OK in the various
editors and dialogue boxes. On other operating systems, is there a shortcut
key for OK?

If there is, and anyone could tell me how it is implemented, that would help
to fix the Mac OS X port!

Regards,
Tim.

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Monday 24 November 2008, Benny Malengier wrote:
> On linux the OK has the O underlined, so alt+o presses the key.
> I think it is standard GTK+ that is invoked

Dialogs should set the default response button:
http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gtkdialog.html#method-gtkdialog--set-default-response

        - Eero

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Eero Tamminen-3 wrote
Hi,

> 2008/11/24 guylinton <guy.linton@gmail.com>
>> Is there a shortcut key for OK?

On Monday 24 November 2008, Benny Malengier wrote:
> On linux the OK has the O underlined, so alt+o presses the key.
> I think it is standard GTK+ that is invoked

Dialogs should set the default response button:
http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gtkdialog.html#method-gtkdialog--set-default-response
Thanks very much Benny and Eero.
alt-o works just fine.

I grep-ed for set_default_response, and it is in PageView.py which  I gather from the comment is the base class for the DataView - so I suppose all the editors may use this, but it doesn't seem to work.

The description of set_default_response says "Pressing Enter normally activates the default widget" so does this work in Linux and why doesn't it work in Mac?

Tim

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Martin Steer-2
guylinton <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks very much Benny and Eero.
> alt-o works just fine.
>
> I grep-ed for set_default_response, and it is in PageView.py which  I gather
> from the comment is the base class for the DataView - so I suppose all the
> editors may use this, but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> The description of set_default_response says "Pressing Enter normally
> activates the default widget" so does this work in Linux and why doesn't it
> work in Mac?

My experience of gnome is pretty much limited to gramps, so I'm not sure
how these things are supposed to work. But for me on linux, gramps does
have some peculiarities.

In general it seems that Enter activates an overtly selected item: if
nothing appropriate is selected, nothing happens. This (in some cases)
includes non-selection of OK buttons.

You can test this as follows (shorthand, e.g. "Alt-O closes the editor"
= okays and closes the editor):

Open a person editor in People view. The Family textbox is selected by
default. Enter does nothing, Alt-O closes the editor, Alt-C closes the
editor.

Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by
default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the
editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close
the editor).

Open a place editor in Places view. The Location tab is selected by
default. Enter closes the editor, Alt-O closes the editor, Alt-C closes
the editor.

--
Martin

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Benny Malengier
Obviously GRAMPS puts the curor in an editor in the most likely place you will begin entering information. Enter is grabbed there.
The dataviews are the list views, not the editors. I don't think we set default response there, but on many editor you want to fast key to a button, then enter on that (to open eg date editor or father selection), so I don't think we can grab enter with a default response and do that.
Hence, Alt+O it is, and ESCAPE or ALT+C to just leave without storing information. The ALT keys are locale aware.

Benny

2008/11/25 Martin Steer <[hidden email]>
guylinton <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks very much Benny and Eero.
> alt-o works just fine.
>
> I grep-ed for set_default_response, and it is in PageView.py which  I gather
> from the comment is the base class for the DataView - so I suppose all the
> editors may use this, but it doesn't seem to work.
>
> The description of set_default_response says "Pressing Enter normally
> activates the default widget" so does this work in Linux and why doesn't it
> work in Mac?

My experience of gnome is pretty much limited to gramps, so I'm not sure
how these things are supposed to work. But for me on linux, gramps does
have some peculiarities.

In general it seems that Enter activates an overtly selected item: if
nothing appropriate is selected, nothing happens. This (in some cases)
includes non-selection of OK buttons.

You can test this as follows (shorthand, e.g. "Alt-O closes the editor"
= okays and closes the editor):

Open a person editor in People view. The Family textbox is selected by
default. Enter does nothing, Alt-O closes the editor, Alt-C closes the
editor.

Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by
default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the
editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close
the editor).

Open a place editor in Places view. The Location tab is selected by
default. Enter closes the editor, Alt-O closes the editor, Alt-C closes
the editor.

--
Martin

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

David Rowell
I have found that there is a problem with the [OK] in most Linux apps on
Linux/Gnome.  It isn't confined to Gramps.  The [OK] button will show as
active yet fail to respond much of the time to a key press.  It seems
that only a mouse click will do.  I've never filed a bug about it
because I haven't the foggiest notion as to the root of the issue.

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Martin Steer-2 wrote
Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by
default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the
editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close
the editor).

Martin
Isn't it a (minor) bug that the family editor has two buttons with 'C' underlined so that Alt-C can only select the buttons (alternately) rather than action the button?

Tim

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Benny Malengier wrote
Obviously GRAMPS puts the curor in an editor in the most likely place you
will begin entering information. Enter is grabbed there.
The dataviews are the list views, not the editors. I don't think we set
default response there, but on many editor you want to fast key to a button,
then enter on that (to open eg date editor or father selection), so I don't
think we can grab enter with a default response and do that.
Hence, Alt+O it is, and ESCAPE or ALT+C to just leave without storing
information. The ALT keys are locale aware.

Benny
Now that I understand the behaviour, I am happy that the Mac OS X port acts just as well as the Linux builds which was my initial question.

I now understand that tab changes the highlight and 'enter' actions that highlight.

I can also articulate my expectations. I expected that:
- if a button is highlighted, enter will action that button,
- if a list item is highlighted, enter will open the editor for that button,
- in a multi-line text field enter behaves the same as newline,
- otherwise enter actions 'OK'.

As a specific example of behaviour similar to this, I would cite the behaviour of the dialogue boxes (paragraph, font etc.) in MS Word.

Although this is only a minor issue, I think it has some significance in terms of efficiency of data entry, because I regard keyboard shortcuts as a great time saver. For instance, I am using attributes of event references quite a lot (I don't enter sources at this particular point) which would be quicker with the shortcut. (In this context, the fact that 'Escape' seems to work everywhere for cancel is very good).

Is my expectation reasonable enough for a (low priority) feature request? (Or is the behaviour of selecting fields not sufficiently under your direct control to make it difficult to implement different behaviours as your tab through the fields?)

Tim.

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Martin Steer-2
guylinton <[hidden email]> writes:

> Martin Steer-2 wrote:
>>

>> Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by
>> default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the
>> editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close
>> the editor).
>>
>> Martin
>>
> Isn't it a (minor) bug that the family editor has two buttons with 'C'
> underlined so that Alt-C can only select the buttons (alternately) rather
> than action the button?

I think so. Gramps doubles up in this way in a few places, with a few
different buttons.

--
Martin

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

Peter Landgren

Den Wednesday 26 November 2008 00.52.35 skrev guylinton:

> Martin Steer-2 wrote:

> > Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by

> > default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the

> > editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close

> > the editor).

> > Martin

> Isn't it a (minor) bug that the family editor has two buttons with 'C'

> underlined so that Alt-C can only select the buttons (alternately) rather

> than action the button?

> Tim

This is so for the English version of GRAMPS. For other locales the translator can choose short-cut keys so that they don't conflict. This is a little bit time consuming, as it's not always obvious that the keys, you are translating, might conflict. It's cut and try by testing the different editors etc.

/Peter

Re: Shortcut key for OK?

2008/11/26 guylinton <[hidden email]>

Martin Steer-2 wrote:

> Open a family editor in Families view. The Father button is selected by
> default. Enter opens a selection dialogue for father, Alt-O closes the
> editor, Alt-C selects Cancel or Children (needs Cancel+Enter to close
> the editor).
>
> Martin

Isn't it a (minor) bug that the family editor has two buttons with 'C'
underlined so that Alt-C can only select the buttons (alternately) rather
than action the button?

Yes, post a bug on the bug tracker, it is easy to fix, though it would be in trunk only, as it means translation changes too.

Benny

Benny Malengier wrote:

> Obviously GRAMPS puts the curor in an editor in the most likely place you
> will begin entering information. Enter is grabbed there.
> The dataviews are the list views, not the editors. I don't think we set
> default response there, but on many editor you want to fast key to a
> button,
> then enter on that (to open eg date editor or father selection), so I
> don't
> think we can grab enter with a default response and do that.
> Hence, Alt+O it is, and ESCAPE or ALT+C to just leave without storing
> information. The ALT keys are locale aware.
>
> Benny

Now that I understand the behaviour, I am happy that the Mac OS X port acts
just as well as the Linux builds which was my initial question.

I now understand that tab changes the highlight and 'enter' actions that
highlight.

I can also articulate my expectations. I expected that:
- if a button is highlighted, enter will action that button,
- if a list item is highlighted, enter will open the editor for that button,
- in a multi-line text field enter behaves the same as newline,
- otherwise enter actions 'OK'.

As a specific example of behaviour similar to this, I would cite the
behaviour of the dialogue boxes (paragraph, font etc.) in MS Word.

Although this is only a minor issue, I think it has some significance in
terms of efficiency of data entry, because I regard keyboard shortcuts as a
great time saver. For instance, I am using attributes of event references
quite a lot (I don't enter sources at this particular point) which would be
quicker with the shortcut. (In this context, the fact that 'Escape' seems to
work everywhere for cancel is very good).

Is my expectation reasonable enough for a (low priority) feature request?
(Or is the behaviour of selecting fields not sufficiently under your direct
control to make it difficult to implement different behaviours as your tab
through the fields?)

I don't understand what you want to achieve here :-)
So please, do a feature request and be very clear on what you believe should happen on the view to quickly enter attributes.
We have done several changes in the past to accommodate people who dislike the mouse, most people using GRAMPS a lot will thank you for these kind of improvements.

Benny

Tim.