Shortly moving to Windows 10

Jean McClendon
Hello, I will shortly be changing from Ubuntu 16.04 using Gramps 4.2.2
to Windows 10 on my laptop so I have more local support with Microsoft
and  Windows.  I know that the slash marks "/" will have to be changed
to "\" but I am not sure how to go about this when the time comes.  Am I
supposed to do it before the move to Windows or after?  How do I go
about changing them?  I am a 68 year old woman so I will have to have
step by step directions as to where I go in gramps to make those changes
and when.  I not that long ago had to remove a lot of strings in my
media folder and am still working to clean up that mess with the Media
Verification tool and realize that this will probably also have to be
done after the change over.  Any help you can give me would be most
appreciated. Thank you. Jean

Re: Shortly moving to Windows 10

Dave Scheipers
Hi Jean

After setting up Gramps on the new Windows machine, you will be
importing the backup from your ubuntu version of Gramps.

All of the media records will import with "/". This is true any time
you import even if the windows version of Gramps created the backup.

Using Tools >> Utilities >> Media Manager you can search for "/" and
replace it with "\".

You may also need to convert from absolute path to relative. I believe
doing this will also convert the "/" to "\" but without absolute
paths, I cannot test.

FYI: the search and replace will also work for other strings.

HTH Dave

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 12:19 PM, Jean McClendon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I will shortly be changing from Ubuntu 16.04 using Gramps 4.2.2 to
> Windows 10 on my laptop so I have more local support with Microsoft and
> Windows.  I know that the slash marks "/" will have to be changed to "\" but
> I am not sure how to go about this when the time comes.  Am I supposed to do
> it before the move to Windows or after?  How do I go about changing them?  I
> am a 68 year old woman so I will have to have step by step directions as to
> where I go in gramps to make those changes and when.  I not that long ago
> had to remove a lot of strings in my media folder and am still working to
> clean up that mess with the Media Verification tool and realize that this
> will probably also have to be done after the change over.  Any help you can
> give me would be most appreciated. Thank you. Jean

Re: Shortly moving to Windows 10

enno
Hello all,

> All of the media records will import with "/". This is true any time
> you import even if the windows version of Gramps created the backup.
That's right ...
> Using Tools >> Utilities >> Media Manager you can search for "/" and
> replace it with "\".
... but because of the above, there is absolutely no need to do that.
When Gramps stores paths, it uses forward slashes, and it will
automatically convert them to load media files in Windows.

Re: Shortly moving to Windows 10

enno
Hello Jean,

I'm sending my reply to the list, because I don't use Gramps on Windows
myself, and I don't use it in English either, so part of my advice might
get lost in translation.

> I do have one question that hopefully you can answer.  My Media
> Scrapbook has individual named family folders which have other family
> named folders inside which can go to up to 5 other family folders
> inside that initial family folder, is this going to be a problem when
> going to Windows as "too many strings?"  If that doesn't make sense to
> you the way I wrote it, I can send screen shots showing you what I
> mean if you just let me know if you do.
Windows has always had a problem with long paths, but I don't know
whether it will hit you in Windows 10. According to what I find on the
web, the current limit is 260 characters, and there are ways to increase
that, but the chance of you hitting the limit largely depends on how
long those family folder names actually are.

I have always avoided long paths, and even though the limit can be
extended, I see no practical reason for deep folder nesting. I have to
use some in my work, and I often get lost.

It does help if you copy the media coming from Linux into a path that is
short, like directly inside your Documents folder, or in a folder inside
that with a short name. Anything longer is just asking for trouble, and
so is restoring media from a Gramps backup with media, because in that
case Gramps itself will create an extra long path.

> What Gramps (am using 4.2.2 now) will I need to install  so that I can
> then use my last .gramps save to re-install my family tree?
You can simply install the latest, which is 4.2.8, see:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download#MS_Windows

You can use the 64 bit version if you have a modern PC, and if you have
a 64 bit version of Windows on that. You can check that in the Windows
setup info tab.

> I just do not want to have to totally abandon my genealogy work, as my
> son says that if I have trouble with "too many strings" when going to
> Windows I need to just forget it.
H'm, there are ways around that, when needed, so I see no reason to
abandon your work. You may need to find someone who can follow the
instructions to fix this, as explained on:

https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to-make-windows-10-accept-file-paths-over-260-characters/

I'm hoping that with Windows 10, you'll be able to find more assistance
in your local community.