Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou
I am probably being very dim as usual, but I can't find a way to expand a family chart to show all siblings or children in a family. I realise that for a lot of 19th Century families this would quickly become very complicated, but it would be very useful to be able to do it, family by family, to check that details found in a census for instance have been entered..

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Wakou Fri 03 Oct 2014 06:54:17 NZDT
> I am probably being very dim as usual, but I can't find a way to expand a
> family chart to show all siblings or children in a family. I realise that
> for a lot of 19th Century families this would quickly become very
> complicated, but it would be very useful to be able to do it, family by
> family, to check that details found in a census for instance have been
> entered..

Which report are you wishing to use?  (I don't see a "family chart" in
gramps here.)  Most of the reports also have an option to use a filter,
which is a much more flexible way of selecting exactly which individuals
you want in the chart or report.

HTH

Peter

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou
Hi Peter, an thanks for the reply. I somehow missed it, despite checking my emails and having Nabble permanently open..
I was referring to the main 'Chart' view.... If I make a parent the 'focus' person, there is a small left arrow. If I hover over that, it has 'Jump to Child', but I can only expand the chart by choosing one child. I would like to be able to show all children of that parent, and also to be able to show all siblings of a child, in that chart view...
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/wakou/chartview_zps1beab51d.png

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 01:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
wakou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello wakou,

>to be able to show all children of that parent, and also to be able to
>show all siblings of a child, in that chart view...

Relationship view does that.  You don't get all the ancestral lineage
shown though.  Alternatively, generate a "Family Lines" graphical report
from the Reports -> Graphs menu.

Neither is quite what you're after, but maybe one or other will suffice.

--
 Regards  _
It's cool to know nothin'

NdK

Il 05/10/2014 12:50, Brad Rogers ha scritto:

> Relationship view does that.  You don't get all the ancestral lineage
> shown though.  Alternatively, generate a "Family Lines" graphical report
> from the Reports -> Graphs menu.
About 80% of my time in Gramps is spent on the "Graph View (Dynamic
graph of relations)" plugin. I think the only thing it misses is the
ability to add families. Maybe it's better suited for OP's needs?

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou
Graph view is definitely not working correctly.... Or at least usably. I sometimes get a person off the edge of the window, and nothing in the window. There seems to be no way of navigating within. Zoom seems not to do anything. But then when nothing is shown in the window, I guess it is just zooming in to nothing.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou
In fact graph view does something near-fatal to gramps. Some/most graphical elements disappear, tool buttons, toolbars etc. They come back if I 'paint' over where they should be with the mouse!

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 13:30:43 +0200
NdK <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello NdK,

>About 80% of my time in Gramps is spent on the "Graph View (Dynamic
>graph of relations)" plugin. I think the only thing it misses is the
>ability to add families. Maybe it's better suited for OP's needs?

No idea;  I've never used it, due to ongoing issues with Gramps and
GooCanvas.

--
 Regards  _
There's no point in asking you'll get no reply

NdK

Il 05/10/2014 13:59, wakou ha scritto:
> http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/wakou/grampsgraph_zpse25d4afe.png
Can't see anything similar under Ubuntu 14.04. Maybe you're under Win?

Sometimes all Gramps windows are greyed out (usually a symptom of main
loop not responding) but if I switch desktop it all returns to normal.
Rarely I get a complete Gramps lockup, but it's enough to force close
it, reopen and remove stale lock.

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

wakou
but that is not the issue here, it is that the info being shown is not inside the window, but off off the edge, and on top of the toolbars/buttons/sidebar. No mount of clicking/dragging can bring it in to the window. Hovering over the missing buttons/bars and 'painting' with the mouse makes them visible.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Josip
5.10.2014. u 13:51, wakou je napisao/la:
> In fact graph view does something near-fatal to gramps. Some/most graphical
> elements disappear, tool buttons, toolbars etc. They come back if I 'paint'
> over where they should be with the mouse!

Did you open bug ticket for that?

For Gramps-4.1.x and Python2 there is another GraphView in development
that didn't depends on GooCanvas.
GView-0.3.zip at https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8054

--
Josip

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Peter Merchant
On 05/10/14 12:56, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 13:30:43 +0200
> NdK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello NdK,
>
>> About 80% of my time in Gramps is spent on the "Graph View (Dynamic
>> graph of relations)" plugin. I think the only thing it misses is the
>> ability to add families. Maybe it's better suited for OP's needs?
> No idea;  I've never used it, due to ongoing issues with Gramps and
> GooCanvas.

I don't think I'll be using it either. I tried - it failed and told me
that I needed goocanvas, so I downloaded it and expanded the tarball,
then tried to run the ./configure command, only to be told that I don't
have an acceptable c compiler.

I am using Gramps 4.03-1 on Kubuntu 14.04.

Now I get an error every time I start Gramps. I have had to go into the
plugin manager and hide that one to get past it.

Cheers, if that is appropriate,

Peter M.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 17:37:17 +0100
PeterMerchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello PeterMerchant,

>I don't think I'll be using it either. I tried - it failed and told me
>that I needed goocanvas, so I downloaded it and expanded the tarball,

That's right.  I d/l'd several goocanvas packages from Debian repos, but
still the goocanvas requirement wasn't satisfied.  I filed a bug report,
but that's gone quiet.  I'm assuming due to lack of time.

>Now I get an error every time I start Gramps. I have had to go into the
>plugin manager and hide that one to get past it.

Same here.  Although, to be fair, the 'error' is really just a warning
that the plugin won't be available.  I've not tried removing the plugin
to see what happens.

--
 Regards  _
You're a sidewalk cipher speaking prionic jive

On 10/05/2014 12:12 PM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 17:37:17 +0100
> PeterMerchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello PeterMerchant,
>
>> I don't think I'll be using it either. I tried - it failed and told me
>> that I needed goocanvas, so I downloaded it and expanded the tarball,
> That's right.  I d/l'd several goocanvas packages from Debian repos, but
> still the goocanvas requirement wasn't satisfied.  I filed a bug report,
> but that's gone quiet.  I'm assuming due to lack of time.

For Ubuntu 13.10, gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0-9 (in Universe) and
python-pygoocanvas (in Main) should pull in everything you need.

--
My word, man!  Don't you know your quantum statistics?

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 13:48:32 -0500
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>For Ubuntu 13.10, gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0-9 (in Universe) and

That might go a fair way to explain the problem here;  Debian only has
v2.0.2, but only in experimental.  Seems to be too old to satisfy the
Graph View plugin's requirements.

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating

NdK

Il 05/10/2014 19:12, Brad Rogers ha scritto:

>> I don't think I'll be using it either. I tried - it failed and told me
>> that I needed goocanvas, so I downloaded it and expanded the tarball,
> That's right.  I d/l'd several goocanvas packages from Debian repos, but
> still the goocanvas requirement wasn't satisfied.  I filed a bug report,
> but that's gone quiet.  I'm assuming due to lack of time.
Or maybe just because it's not a real bug but just outdated Debian
packages? Debian is really conservative, but newest Gramps requires
latest GtK+ ecosystem...

I installed standard Ubuntu 14.04 packages:
gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0-9                          install
libgoocanvas-2.0-9                              install
libgoocanvas-2.0-9-common                       install
libgoocanvas-common                             install
libgoocanvas3                                   install
python-pygoocanvas                              install

And it works quite well.

BYtE,
 Diego.

Re: Show siblings/children on a chart

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 22:49:41 +0200
NdK <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello NdK,

>Or maybe just because it's not a real bug but just outdated Debian
>packages? Debian is really conservative, but newest Gramps requires

Having continued the conversation here, quite likely.  As I said,
goocanvas only exists in experimental, and is an older version anyway, so
everyone using Debian is stymied WRT using the Graph View plugin.

Maybe I should close the bug.

--
 Regards  _
No guarantee the stimuli must be perceived the same...

From: Petermerchant Sun, 5 Oct 2014 17:37:17 +0100

> On 05/10/14 12:56, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Sun, 05 Oct 2014 13:30:43 +0200
>> NdK <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello NdK,
>>
>>> About 80% of my time in Gramps is spent on the "Graph View (Dynamic
>>> graph of relations)" plugin. I think the only thing it misses is the
>>> ability to add families. Maybe it's better suited for OP's needs?
>> No idea;  I've never used it, due to ongoing issues with Gramps and
>> GooCanvas.
>>
> I don't think I'll be using it either. I tried - it failed and told me
> that I needed goocanvas, so I downloaded it and expanded the tarball,
> then tried to run the ./configure command, only to be told that I don't
> have an acceptable c compiler.
>
> I am using Gramps 4.03-1 on Kubuntu 14.04.

Here I have Gramps 4.0.4-1 on Kubuntu 14.04, and these packages are
installed;

$ dpkg -l | grep canvas
gir1.2-goocanvas-2.0-9
libgnomecanvas2-0:amd64
libgnomecanvas2-common
libgoocanvas-2.0-9
libgoocanvas-2.0-9-common
libgoocanvas-common
libgoocanvas3
python-pygoocanvas

Sorry, I can't remember which ones came with the base install and which
ones as Gramps dependencies, and maybe I have some installed that I
don't need.  But Gramps starts without warnings and seems to work fine.
The packages are all from the Ubuntu repositories, except Gramps from
sourceforge.  I haven't installed anything from tarball.

HTH

Peter