Some starter gramplet questions

Stephen Adams
Hello everyone,

I've managed to overcome some simple if irritating problems related to tabs and spaces and have been investigating the source code wiki and repository to learn how to work with gramps.

A few small questions that have popped up:

This code correctly displays all the names of the people in the database.  Not a bad first exercise.

        for p in self.dbstate.db.iter_people():
         self.append_text( "\t" + p.get_primary_name().get_regular_name() + "\n" )

This code shows no output whatsoever.

        for p in self.dbstate.db.iter_people():
                refs = p.get_event_ref_list()
         self.append_text( "\t" + p.get_primary_name().get_regular_name() + "\n" )

The assumption being that the refs assignment is causing something to crash.  I've seen variants of the code where the call is get_event_ref_list()[0:] and have tried some of these but to no avail.

q1) What is the error here that's giving me grief?
q2) How could I have better discovered this for myself?  I am using the grampsAIO64 version and not running the command line editions as the help at https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Debugging_Gramps is focused towards.
q3) Other than exiting and reloading Gramps repeatedly, is there a better way to cause the gramplet to reload within the software?  I presume opening and closing a family tree, but I'm wondering if there is a testing mechanism I'm overlooking

Thank you,
Steve

Re: Some starter gramplet questions

enno
Hello Stephen,

> q2) How could I have better discovered this for myself?  I am using
> the grampsAIO64 version and not running the command line editions as
> the help at
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Debugging_Gramps is
> focused towards.
When you install GrampsAIO, you only get a GUI shortcut on the desktop,
so it's not immediately obvious that you can run it in console mode, but
... there is a console mode shortcut in the Start menu.

If you choose that, you may see some console output that you can use, or
post here.

Cheers,