Sorting problem in GRAMPS

Don Allingham
Alex Roitman, Martin Hawlisch and I spent quite a bit of time on IRC
today trying to figure out why names sometimes are sorted incorrectly in
the Person View.

We've narrowed the problem down. The problem is not a GRAMPS problem,
but a python 2.3 bug. If you have an empty surname and your distribution
ships with python 2.3, on occassion, the person list will sometimes (but
not always) be sorted incorrectly. This is a known bug in python's
locale independent sort function, and is fixed in python 2.4.

We do not have a fix for the problem, other than upgrading to python
2.4. New distributions are shipping with 2.4.

Don

Re: Sorting problem in GRAMPS

Don Allingham
On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 21:48 -0600, Don Allingham wrote:

> Alex Roitman, Martin Hawlisch and I spent quite a bit of time on IRC
> today trying to figure out why names sometimes are sorted incorrectly in
> the Person View.
>
> We've narrowed the problem down. The problem is not a GRAMPS problem,
> but a python 2.3 bug. If you have an empty surname and your distribution
> ships with python 2.3, on occassion, the person list will sometimes (but
> not always) be sorted incorrectly. This is a known bug in python's
> locale independent sort function, and is fixed in python 2.4.
>
> We do not have a fix for the problem, other than upgrading to python
> 2.4. New distributions are shipping with 2.4.
>
> Don

Fortunately, we were able to develop a work around for this problem.
Version 2.0.6, which should be out in about 2 weeks, will have this
resolved even if your system has python 2.3.

Don

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>