Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
Is it some how possible to add source citation in a way that show on reports for the following.

- Place - Alternative Name
- Place - Notes
- Place - Enclosed By

Jaran

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

John W. Kitz-3
Jaran,

On 2018-07-07 13:41, StoltHD wrote:
> Is it some how possible to add source citation in a way that show on
> reports for the following.
>
> - Place - Alternative Name

Yes. People -> Names tab -> Double click name -> Source Citations tab

> - Place - Notes

AFAIK No

> - Place - Enclosed By

Yes. Place -> Source Citations tab

Where place can be just about anything, such as a country, district,
state, village, vessel, island, planet, that meets your needs.

> Jaran

Regards, Jk.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
Nope, not the same...

I need to set source and citatyion on Places - Alternative Names, and on Places Notes, not through any person, but directly on the Place in place view, and not as a general citation for the place or note...

Jaran,

On 2018-07-07 13:41, StoltHD wrote:
> Is it some how possible to add source citation in a way that show on
> reports for the following.
>
> - Place - Alternative Name

Yes. People -> Names tab -> Double click name -> Source Citations tab

> - Place - Notes

AFAIK No

> - Place - Enclosed By

Yes. Place -> Source Citations tab

Where place can be just about anything, such as a country, district,
state, village, vessel, island, planet, that meets your needs.

> Jaran

Regards, Jk.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Dave Scheipers
There are no citations specific to those entries. There is only the
citation for the place.

I do not source my place entries. I do add links to the wikipedia page
under the Internet tab. Same for FindAGrave etc. These links show in
the NarWeb report which the most often report I send to cousins.But
these links do not show in regular reports.

I just did a test. I added a citation to my birth place. This citation
did NOT show up on the Complete Individual Report.  But in thinking
about it, it does not need to be cited. The place name displayed
accurately reflects the event citations of where I was born. The place
displayed is the same that shows on my birth certificate.

So other than for yourself, others will never see these citations. The
citation would be for yourself to know where and how you came up with
the alt names or its enclosed by entries. Any credible source on the
place would also include its history including what it may have been
known throughout time. Granted, the Enclosed By throughout time is not
always easy to research. But I would think the citation at the place
record level would suffice.

Now, maybe if you were pulling together a place Gazetteer, these added
citations would be needed, But as a genealogy, the place name
displayed only needs to reflect the information we find about our
relative's life events.

Dave
.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nope, not the same...
>
> I need to set source and citatyion on Places - Alternative Names, and on
> Places Notes, not through any person, but directly on the Place in place
> view, and not as a general citation for the place or note...
>
> Den lør. 7. jul. 2018 kl. 17:00 skrev John W. Kitz
> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Jaran,
>>
>> On 2018-07-07 13:41, StoltHD wrote:
>> > Is it some how possible to add source citation in a way that show on
>> > reports for the following.
>> >
>> > - Place - Alternative Name
>>
>> Yes. People -> Names tab -> Double click name -> Source Citations tab
>>
>> > - Place - Notes
>>
>> AFAIK No
>>
>> > - Place - Enclosed By
>>
>> Yes. Place -> Source Citations tab
>>
>> Where place can be just about anything, such as a country, district,
>> state, village, vessel, island, planet, that meets your needs.
>>

>> > Jaran
>> >

>> Regards, Jk.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
Dave,

Different People, different needs...

I'm doing a part of history about my 2x grandfather that started whats known as Abboy TrioVing today, the sourcing and citation for the company  (place) and buildings (housenumbers) where he started and moved to are important in a historical perspective, especially because those that wrote the company's history 30-40 yaers ago did a lot of errors...

And for me, my research are much more than collection persons names on ancestry or myheritage, anything and everything shall be documented, and the places shall have histories, therefore its important to source and cite the information I collect.

jaran

Den lør. 7. jul. 2018 kl. 22:23 skrev Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]>:
There are no citations specific to those entries. There is only the
citation for the place.

I do not source my place entries. I do add links to the wikipedia page
under the Internet tab. Same for FindAGrave etc. These links show in
the NarWeb report which the most often report I send to cousins.But
these links do not show in regular reports.

I just did a test. I added a citation to my birth place. This citation
did NOT show up on the Complete Individual Report.  But in thinking
about it, it does not need to be cited. The place name displayed
accurately reflects the event citations of where I was born. The place
displayed is the same that shows on my birth certificate.

So other than for yourself, others will never see these citations. The
citation would be for yourself to know where and how you came up with
the alt names or its enclosed by entries. Any credible source on the
place would also include its history including what it may have been
known throughout time. Granted, the Enclosed By throughout time is not
always easy to research. But I would think the citation at the place
record level would suffice.

Now, maybe if you were pulling together a place Gazetteer, these added
citations would be needed, But as a genealogy, the place name
displayed only needs to reflect the information we find about our
relative's life events.

Dave
.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Nope, not the same...
>
> I need to set source and citatyion on Places - Alternative Names, and on
> Places Notes, not through any person, but directly on the Place in place
> view, and not as a general citation for the place or note...
>
> Den lør. 7. jul. 2018 kl. 17:00 skrev John W. Kitz
> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Jaran,
>>
>> On 2018-07-07 13:41, StoltHD wrote:
>> > Is it some how possible to add source citation in a way that show on
>> > reports for the following.
>> >
>> > - Place - Alternative Name
>>
>> Yes. People -> Names tab -> Double click name -> Source Citations tab
>>
>> > - Place - Notes
>>
>> AFAIK No
>>
>> > - Place - Enclosed By
>>
>> Yes. Place -> Source Citations tab
>>
>> Where place can be just about anything, such as a country, district,
>> state, village, vessel, island, planet, that meets your needs.
>>

>> > Jaran
>> >

>> Regards, Jk.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Dave Scheipers
hi Jaran

I suppose if Gramps can be modified to track the breeding of dogs (or
was it horses) then you may get it to do what you need.

Because the ability to add citations where you want/need them is
currently not built into Gramps, you would need to file a Feature
Request for each of the areas. (There may already be a request to add
Source/citations to Notes). But in any case, one Feature Request for
each. Do not lump them together.

https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php

You would then need a report to reflect place citations including
these sub areas. Again, a Feature Request or learning the process to
write your own report.

Good luck, Dave

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 4:53 PM, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Different People, different needs...
>
> I'm doing a part of history about my 2x grandfather that started whats known
> as Abboy TrioVing today, the sourcing and citation for the company  (place)
> and buildings (housenumbers) where he started and moved to are important in
> a historical perspective, especially because those that wrote the company's
> history 30-40 yaers ago did a lot of errors...
>
> And for me, my research are much more than collection persons names on
> ancestry or myheritage, anything and everything shall be documented, and the
> places shall have histories, therefore its important to source and cite the
> information I collect.
>

> jaran
>
> Den lør. 7. jul. 2018 kl. 22:23 skrev Dave Scheipers
> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> There are no citations specific to those entries. There is only the
>> citation for the place.
>>
>> I do not source my place entries. I do add links to the wikipedia page
>> under the Internet tab. Same for FindAGrave etc. These links show in
>> the NarWeb report which the most often report I send to cousins.But
>> these links do not show in regular reports.
>>
>> I just did a test. I added a citation to my birth place. This citation
>> did NOT show up on the Complete Individual Report.  But in thinking
>> about it, it does not need to be cited. The place name displayed
>> accurately reflects the event citations of where I was born. The place
>> displayed is the same that shows on my birth certificate.
>>
>> So other than for yourself, others will never see these citations. The
>> citation would be for yourself to know where and how you came up with
>> the alt names or its enclosed by entries. Any credible source on the
>> place would also include its history including what it may have been
>> known throughout time. Granted, the Enclosed By throughout time is not
>> always easy to research. But I would think the citation at the place
>> record level would suffice.
>>
>> Now, maybe if you were pulling together a place Gazetteer, these added
>> citations would be needed, But as a genealogy, the place name
>> displayed only needs to reflect the information we find about our
>> relative's life events.
>>
>> Dave
>> .
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 3:12 PM, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Nope, not the same...
>> >
>> > I need to set source and citatyion on Places - Alternative Names, and on
>> > Places Notes, not through any person, but directly on the Place in place
>> > view, and not as a general citation for the place or note...

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
John,

The point of being able to add citations or references to a source in/to a Note is to be able to add facts to your notes in historic research...

I'm using Zotero for more or less all my sources, so I can copy a citation/reference string directly into a note, but if it is an image or a pdf with more information that I want to have in a "source" - part of a report, this will not work and I will have to add thousands of sources manually...

This is a problem with nearly any lineage-linked genealogy software, Gramps is one of those with less limits, but it would be so much more of a research tool if it had some more feature... i.e. Citations to sources for Notes, Alternative Names, Enclosed by, and so on. (this in places)...
Then suddenly it would be a 100% research tool for those researching a little more extended history to, something there is little of as desktop software.

Attributes on Places are another feature that would be a great adition, for the same reasons... to add more information in a structured form.
Also date fields to Notes, and the possibility to sort on that date field...

I'm not a programmer, so i have no way of doing this myself as is...

Jaran

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 11:16 skrev John W. Kitz <[hidden email]>:

Jaran, Dave,

Unless I misunderstood Jaran's question and in case you'd like to test it yourself, please see the attachments to this email.

I'm sending this off-list since it is my understanding that the list software doesn't forward attachments.

As for Jaran's question whether it is possible to attach a citation to a note; obviously I can't speak on behalf of the developers, but I think there is something to be said for the argument that there is little point, if any, in doing that, since a note can be considered as a way of citing something itself, albeit in written form rather than in the form of a reference to page of some document.

Consequently asking for the possibility to add a citation to a note IMHO is similar to asking for the possibility to add a citation to a citation.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, regards, Jk.

I'm occasionally researching the surnames Kitz, Kitsz and Kits. Are you doing similar work in your area or country and do you have data that may be useful to me? Please send it to John.Kitz-gen (at) xs4all.nl.

This email and any attachment is authorized for use by the intended recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied, disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an intended recipient then please promptly delete this email and its attachment(s) and inform the sender. Thank you. The sender does not accept any responsibility for damage, of any kind, attributable to the risks associated with sending messages electronically.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Hi Jaran and John

I did run another test and a citation attached to a place does get
included in the Complete Individual Report. I did not test it on other
reports.

But this still does not address jaran's need to add citations to the
parts of the Place record. John, you included the citation to the
alternative name for the Person. Jaran wants it added to the Place
alternative name..

As I already posted, to get that ability, new code would need to be
written which as Ron points out probably will not occur or at least
soon.

Other than that, I have no other ideas.

Sorry, Dave

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:38 AM, StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, regards, Jk.
>>

>> I'm occasionally researching the surnames Kitz, Kitsz and Kits. Are you
>> doing similar work in your area or country and do you have data that may be
>> useful to me? Please send it to John.Kitz-gen (at) xs4all.nl.
>>

>> This email and any attachment is authorized for use by the intended
>> recipient(s) only. It may contain proprietary material, confidential
>> information and/or be subject to legal privilege. It should not be copied,
>> disclosed to, retained or used by, any other party. If you are not an
>> intended recipient then please promptly delete this email and its
>> attachment(s) and inform the sender. Thank you. The sender does not accept
>> any responsibility for damage, of any kind, attributable to the risks
>> associated with sending messages electronically.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Ron Johnson

Maybe thats some of the problem, when you add a reference/citation to the place, it become general to the place, and you need to add notes/descriotions, to the reference to know where its actually belong.

i.e. and reference to a source for the name of the capitol of Norway, Oslo, only apply for the city after 1928, before that the name was Christiania, and in the period of 1875 - 1928, "Kristiania" was also used. Therefore there might be important to use different sources (citations) for different part Alternative Names.

The references/citations are the pointer to WHERE you found your information to that specific part of information...
So the source for the Name Oslo, the Name Christiania and the Name Kristiania may in some cases be 3 different sources !

Same with the "Enclosed by", you  may find that "Christiania" and "Kristiania" was enclosed by "Christiania amt", while "Oslo" was enclosed by first "Akershus fylke" and later "Oslo fylke".
This different information might come from multiple sources and its critical to be able to link the sources to the correct part of information you have.

Some people do more than just collect names for their lineage-linked family tree.

Jaran

On 07/08/2018 01:33 PM, StoltHD wrote:

[...]

It's the same plot of land, so I don't see any problem with That Place having citations which call it Christiana. Kristiana and Oslo.

Some people do more than just collect names for their lineage-linked family tree.

A lot of people collect more than just names, and they don't seem to have this problem.

> [...]

>> note; obviously I can't speak on behalf of the developers, but I think there
>> is something to be said for the argument that there is little point, if any,
>> in doing that, since a note can be considered as a way of citing something
>> itself, albeit in written form rather than in the form of a reference to
>> page of some document.
>>

>> Consequently asking for the possibility to add a citation to a note IMHO
>> is similar to asking for the possibility to add a citation to a citation.
>>

>> I hope this helps.
>>

>> Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, regards, Jk.
>>

>> I'm occasionally researching the surnames Kitz, Kitsz and Kits. Are you
>> doing similar work in your area or country and do you have data that may be
>> useful to me? Please send it to John.Kitz-gen (at) xs4all.nl.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

Well,
You don't see it, but I do.

So just keep up the way you work, and let others do it more accurate or in a different way.

And then, if I ever should need any advice from you (don't think I will), I will ask.
The advice or comment you have come with untill now is not very helpfull !

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 21:07 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

>> note; obviously I can't speak on behalf of the developers, but I think there
>> is something to be said for the argument that there is little point, if any,
>> in doing that, since a note can be considered as a way of citing something
>> itself, albeit in written form rather than in the form of a reference to
>> page of some document.
>>

>> Consequently asking for the possibility to add a citation to a note IMHO
>> is similar to asking for the possibility to add a citation to a citation.
>>

>> I hope this helps.
>>

>> Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, regards, Jk.
>>

>> I'm occasionally researching the surnames Kitz, Kitsz and Kits. Are you
>> doing similar work in your area or country and do you have data that may be
>> useful to me? Please send it to John.Kitz-gen (at) xs4all.nl.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

It would be great if you just stopped commenting, because you bring nothing helpfull to this !

If you dont' agree, just don't comment, if you have some real knowlegde, please share, but as of now, you are not helpfull and the comments you leave are anything but, only thing you do is negaively spamming a thread !

Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 23:57 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:

[...]

I dont know who you are, but you do not add anything constructive to my question !
You might not need what I ask for, others might !!! LIVE WITH IT !

Im so tired of people like you, in Norway we call them Betterwissers, and you are the type of person chasing people away from using Gramps.

So can you please stop now !

Den man. 9. jul. 2018 kl. 00:50 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:

Good job changing the subject!

On 07/08/2018 05:28 PM, StoltHD wrote:
[...]

Peter (chamdo4ever)
Ron, going back to when I was first migrating my data to Gramps, you
went out of your way to try to be helpful to me. I recall you
responding to me off list with some hyperspecific Linux terminal
commands to help me in my conversion. Since then, your posts to this
list have always been worth a look as far as I'm concerned -- I
usually learn something and gain insight and perspective even if it
isn't directly relevant to whatever I'm doing. As an aside, often your
sense of humor brings a smile to my face as well.

So thank you for all of the above, and your contributions to this list
in general.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> List owners, please do something.  I replied off-list because some things
> shouldn't be on-list, and [hidden email] is forcing things back on-list.
>
> On 07/08/2018 06:15 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>
> Ron Johnson !
> I dont know who you are, but you do not add anything constructive to my
> question !
> You might not need what I ask for, others might !!! LIVE WITH IT !
>
> Im so tired of people like you, in Norway we call them Betterwissers, and
> you are the type of person chasing people away from using Gramps.
>
> So can you please stop now !
>

> Den man. 9. jul. 2018 kl. 00:50 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Good job changing the subject!
>>
>> On 07/08/2018 05:28 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>>
>> It would be great if you just stopped commenting, because you bring
>> nothing helpfull to this !
>>
>> If you dont' agree, just don't comment, if you have some real knowlegde,
>> please share, but as of now, you are not helpfull and the comments you leave
>> are anything but, only thing you do is negaively spamming a thread !
>>
>> Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 23:57 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> Your comment "Some people do more than just collect names for their
>>> lineage-linked family tree." can be considered more than a bit
>>> condescending.
>>>
>>> On 07/08/2018 02:20 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>>>
>>> Well,
>>> You don't see it, but I do.
>>>
>>> So just keep up the way you work, and let others do it more accurate or
>>> in a different way.
>>>
>>> And then, if I ever should need any advice from you (don't think I will),
>>> I will ask.
>>> The advice or comment you have come with untill now is not very helpfull
>>> !

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
It might have been because I asked you to stop, and only answer if you actually had an answer Ron, and when you keep on sending of topics comments, I dont see any other way than force it back on list.
As an result, i have blocked your email.

I'm not interested in your opinion about wether noone have been in need of what I ask for earlier or not, I was asking for something that I would find usefull...

And if you think your answer dont belong to the list, why do you answer at all?

Den man. 9. jul. 2018 kl. 03:35 skrev Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]>:
Ron, going back to when I was first migrating my data to Gramps, you
went out of your way to try to be helpful to me. I recall you
responding to me off list with some hyperspecific Linux terminal
commands to help me in my conversion. Since then, your posts to this
list have always been worth a look as far as I'm concerned -- I
usually learn something and gain insight and perspective even if it
isn't directly relevant to whatever I'm doing. As an aside, often your
sense of humor brings a smile to my face as well.

So thank you for all of the above, and your contributions to this list
in general.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> List owners, please do something.  I replied off-list because some things
> shouldn't be on-list, and [hidden email] is forcing things back on-list.
>
> On 07/08/2018 06:15 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>
> Ron Johnson !
> I dont know who you are, but you do not add anything constructive to my
> question !
> You might not need what I ask for, others might !!! LIVE WITH IT !
>
> Im so tired of people like you, in Norway we call them Betterwissers, and
> you are the type of person chasing people away from using Gramps.
>
> So can you please stop now !
>

> Den man. 9. jul. 2018 kl. 00:50 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> Good job changing the subject!
>>
>> On 07/08/2018 05:28 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>>
>> It would be great if you just stopped commenting, because you bring
>> nothing helpfull to this !
>>
>> If you dont' agree, just don't comment, if you have some real knowlegde,
>> please share, but as of now, you are not helpfull and the comments you leave
>> are anything but, only thing you do is negaively spamming a thread !
>>
>> Den søn. 8. jul. 2018 kl. 23:57 skrev Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>:
>>>

>>> Your comment "Some people do more than just collect names for their
>>> lineage-linked family tree." can be considered more than a bit
>>> condescending.
>>>
>>> On 07/08/2018 02:20 PM, StoltHD wrote:
>>>
>>> Well,
>>> You don't see it, but I do.
>>>
>>> So just keep up the way you work, and let others do it more accurate or
>>> in a different way.
>>>
>>> And then, if I ever should need any advice from you (don't think I will),
>>> I will ask.
>>> The advice or comment you have come with untill now is not very helpfull
>>> !

> --
> Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Source Citations on Places Alternative Names and Place Notes

StoltHD
Thanks Dave,

I have filled in New Feature Request for both as you suggested, and a few others...

Most likely I will use the winter learning programming and add a GUI that connect to the Gramps mongodb database, and add the feature I feel I need... just using Gramps as a database backend since the database definition is one of the best I have found in any genealogy/history registration tool... I also have approxx 100k Norwegian Place Names with all Alternative Names and Relations from 1679 to 1998, in addition to all the different Administrative Regions for Norway for the same period, all with History, Dates and Sources, but since I can't Reference/Cite the Sources correctly in Gramps, I need some other system to do it.
Same come to all the Norwegian Church Books and Censuses for the Forms Gramplet/Addon, that I have created, they Source references are not as I would like it to be... and therefore I'm not publishing the XML/definition...

Other than that, Gramps is a robust and feature rich tool, and the only one I have managed to find thats close to Event Based Research and Registration, not only the in correct way of registre history that lineage-linked research are.

Of cource all software need to have some kind of compromise in functionality... but some basic functions outside mainstream could be great...

Thanks for your tips and answer.

Jaran