Sources - Scratchpad

Jim Winfrey
After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?

I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
as suggested in Help but nothing happened.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: [Gramps-users] Sources - Scratchpad

Jean Johnson
Are you trying to drag the source from an event editor or from the list of sources? You need to drag the source from the event editor.

If what you want to do is use the same source and quote the same text, bring up the event editor, add the source dialogue, write the text, click ok, which brings you back to the event editor, and then drag to Scratchpad. You can now bring up the event editor for another individual, click sources and drag the source from Scratchpad to the other individual's event editor.

If what you want to do is use the same source but quote different material, you can drag a source from the event editor without any problem and then change the text or whatever else is needed. I don't usually do that because I haven't experimented to see how that effects the endnote notations but it can be done.

Jean

On 3/10/06, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
>
> I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Re: [Gramps-users] Sources - Scratchpad

Alex Roitman
Jim,

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 11:03 -0500, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
>
> I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> as suggested in Help but nothing happened.

I have added this to our bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1449992&group_id=25770&atid=385137

Please feel free to post more information to that page if my short
description of the problem is not correct.

Alex

Re: [Gramps-users] Sources - Scratchpad

Jim Winfrey
Thanks Alex,

The conversation finally boiled down to what the problem really is.
For the benefit of the developers, the request should read something
like:

"Develop a means to memorize a source so that it can be applied to
multiple people and multiple events with a minimum of mouse clicks.
The final product will allow editing to the Citations for each
application of the source."

What I think this means is when I am adding a bunch of stuff I got
from a particular source, I can type the source in one time, ask that
it be "memorized" and then apply it hopefully with a single mouse
click to all the applications I have for the source.  I would expect
there to be different Citation information for each application of the
master source.

Thanks,

Jim