Sources - Scratchpad

Jim Winfrey
After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?

I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
as suggested in Help but nothing happened.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Jean Johnson
Are you trying to drag the source from an event editor or from the list of sources? You need to drag the source from the event editor.

If what you want to do is use the same source and quote the same text, bring up the event editor, add the source dialogue, write the text, click ok, which brings you back to the event editor, and then drag to Scratchpad. You can now bring up the event editor for another individual, click sources and drag the source from Scratchpad to the other individual's event editor.

If what you want to do is use the same source but quote different material, you can drag a source from the event editor without any problem and then change the text or whatever else is needed. I don't usually do that because I haven't experimented to see how that effects the endnote notations but it can be done.

Jean

On 3/10/06, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
>
> I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Thomas Weichmann
I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a new
source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source (I
counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then it is
at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t have to
search for it in the drop down box.

I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...

On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
>
> I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Don Allingham
Since we are deep in the development of 2.2 right now, we are very
interested in hearing proposals on exactly how everyone would expect
such a feature to work. If we can come up with a good clean solution,
we'll see if we can get it into the 2.2 release.

However, we need specific proposals. Vague hand waving only confuses the
issues :-)

Boys and girls - this is your chance to help define the feature to get
it the way you want it...

Don

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:54 -0500, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a new
> source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source (I
> counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then it is
> at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t have to
> search for it in the drop down box.
>
> I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
>
> On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> >
> > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
Don,

 I would like to see a "Source Lock" feature which when enabled would cause *any* information entered to automatically reference the locked source. This would include names, dates, events and attributes. The display should always keep the source details "on top" so that at any time I can enter new details. This way, when I turn the page, I can quickly change the source details to the new page.

 Obituary use case:
 When entering data from an obituary, I usually create a new source, but don't add any source details. In this case, as soon as I sit down to enter information from the obituary, I would create a new source, enter the source information, and then lock the source. Then I would proceed through the obituary entering any information I found. All information would automatically reference the locked source. When done, I would unlock the source.

 Book use case:
 When entering data from a book, I usually create a new source but have to change the source details every time I  turn the page. In this case, when I sit down to enter information from the book, I would create a new source, enter the source information, and then lock the source. I would then proceed through the book entering information as I find it. Whenever I turn the page, I would change the source details to include the new page number (which is really easy because it is "on top"). Any information I enter, would automatically reference the locked source and use the current source details. When done, I would unlock the source.

 ~Brian

Since we are deep in the development of 2.2 right now, we are very
interested in hearing proposals on exactly how everyone would expect
such a feature to work. If we can come up with a good clean solution,
we'll see if we can get it into the 2.2 release.

However, we need specific proposals. Vague hand waving only confuses the
issues :-)

Boys and girls - this is your chance to help define the feature to get
it the way you want it...

Don

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:54 -0500, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a new
> source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source (I
> counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then it is
> at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t have to
> search for it in the drop down box.
>
> I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
>
> On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> >
> > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Thomas Weichmann
I do like the idea of a source lock, but that may be a bit too much.  If this
is implemented, there had better be some type of "Are you sure?" type
question.  A simular way would be to make the last used source the default
(selected) value in the drop down box, so it would eliminate a click and
search through the drop down box, but would require you to actually add the
source still.  I'm just afraid that less advanced users may accidently leave
this on and then have to go through and remove the now added sources...

On Friday 10 March 2006 07:58, Don Allingham wrote:

> Since we are deep in the development of 2.2 right now, we are very
> interested in hearing proposals on exactly how everyone would expect
> such a feature to work. If we can come up with a good clean solution,
> we'll see if we can get it into the 2.2 release.
>
> However, we need specific proposals. Vague hand waving only confuses the
> issues :-)
>
> Boys and girls - this is your chance to help define the feature to get
> it the way you want it...
>
> Don
>
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:54 -0500, Tom Weichmann wrote:
> > I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a
> > new source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source
> > (I counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then
> > it is at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t
> > have to search for it in the drop down box.
> >
> > I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> > people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
> >
> > On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> > >
> > > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jim

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Martin Cassidy
Brian's idea of a "locked" source sounds great. Here's my suggestion:

Sources are stored with a title and an abbreviation. The title is
necessary for reports and such, but I'm used to using the abbreviation
to find a source. Example:

Title might be "My Research Into the Death Records as they are Found in
the Courthouse of Gallia County, Ohio" by B Lou Haer. My abbreviation
might be "Gallia Deaths". When I go to add a source I have to remember
how it's filed under "M" when I'm really using what I call Gallia Deaths.

Currently I can assign a source by title, not by abbreviation. And when
I open the sources table my abbreviation is not on the list.

Add abbreviation to the panel when I click on sources, and it would be
much easier to find vanity-named source titles.

--
Marty Cassidy
Seattle, WA   USA

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
That's a good point. What I envision is that when you lock a source, a dialog pops up that always stays on top of everything else. You can move the dialog around, but you can't minimize it. That dialog allows you to change the source details (page, etc). The presence of the dialog reminds you that you have a source locked. It also has a great big button to easily unlock the source.

 ~Brian

I do like the idea of a source lock, but that may be a bit too much.  If this
is implemented, there had better be some type of "Are you sure?" type
question.  A simular way would be to make the last used source the default
(selected) value in the drop down box, so it would eliminate a click and
search through the drop down box, but would require you to actually add the
source still.  I'm just afraid that less advanced users may accidently leave
this on and then have to go through and remove the now added sources...

On Friday 10 March 2006 07:58, Don Allingham wrote:

> Since we are deep in the development of 2.2 right now, we are very
> interested in hearing proposals on exactly how everyone would expect
> such a feature to work. If we can come up with a good clean solution,
> we'll see if we can get it into the 2.2 release.
>
> However, we need specific proposals. Vague hand waving only confuses the
> issues :-)
>
> Boys and girls - this is your chance to help define the feature to get
> it the way you want it...
>
> Don
>
> On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:54 -0500, Tom Weichmann wrote:
> > I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a
> > new source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source
> > (I counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then
> > it is at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t
> > have to search for it in the drop down box.
> >
> > I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> > people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
> >
> > On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> > >
> > > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jim

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Jean Johnson
It sounds to me that what is being proposed is a circular list without beginning or ending points. Currently the first source on the alphabetical (with numeric preceding alphabetical) list is the one that pops up. Would it be useful to have the last source used be the one to come up always?

Or are you suggesting something else that I am missing?

Jean

On 3/10/06, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then it is
> at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t have to
> search for it in the drop down box.
>
> I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
>
> On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> >
> > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Don Allingham
A simple solution might be to all the definition of "Default" source, similar to the way we have a default person. We could then add a button to the place were you add a source to connect the default source.

That way, nothing happens behind anyone's back, and a single click adds the information.

--
Don Allingham

From: "Jean Johnson" <[hidden email]>

> It sounds to me that what is being proposed is a circular list without
> beginning or ending points. Currently the first source on the alphabetical
> (with numeric preceding alphabetical) list is the one that pops up. Would it
> be useful to have the last source used be the one to come up always?
>
> Or are you suggesting something else that I am missing?
>
> Jean
>
> On 3/10/06, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Don,
> >
> > I would like to see a "Source Lock" feature which when enabled would cause
> > *any* information entered to automatically reference the locked source. This
> > would include names, dates, events and attributes. The display should always
> > keep the source details "on top" so that at any time I can enter new
> > details. This way, when I turn the page, I can quickly change the source
> > details to the new page.
> >
> > Obituary use case:
> > When entering data from an obituary, I usually create a new source, but
> > don't add any source details. In this case, as soon as I sit down to enter
> > information from the obituary, I would create a new source, enter the source
> > information, and then lock the source. Then I would proceed through the
> > obituary entering any information I found. All information would
> > automatically reference the locked source. When done, I would unlock the
> > source.
> >
> > Book use case:
> > When entering data from a book, I usually create a new source but have to
> > change the source details every time I  turn the page. In this case, when I
> > sit down to enter information from the book, I would create a new source,
> > enter the source information, and then lock the source. I would then proceed
> > through the book entering information as I find it. Whenever I turn the
> > page, I would change the source details to include the new page number
> > (which is really easy because it is "on top"). Any information I enter,
> > would automatically reference the locked source and use the current source
> > details. When done, I would unlock the source.
> >
> > ~Brian

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
I'm trying to avoid as many clicks as possible. Believe me, when you are entering a lot of information from the same source, it gets very repetitive.

Let's review the steps to enter the birth date for a person from a book in the current system:
1) Find the person of interest in the people view
2) Double click the person to bring up the "Edit Person" dialog
3) Single click the "Envoke Birth Event Editor" button on the Edit Person dialog to bring up the Event Editor dialog.
4) Enter the date and place in the Event Editor.
5) Single click the "Sources" tab.
6) Single click the plus sign to show the "Source Information" dialog.
7) Select the Source from tht drop down box.
8) Enter the Volume/Film/Page Information in the source details section.
9) Single click OK in the Source Information dialog.
10) Single click OK in the Event Editor dialog.
11) Single click OK in the Edit Person dialog.

Now Let's review the steps to enter the birth date for a person from a book using my "source locking" suggestion:
1) Find the person of interest in the people view
2) Double click the person to bring up the "Edit Person" dialog
3) Single click the "Envoke Birth Event Editor" button on the Edit Person dialog to bring up the Event Editor dialog.
4) Enter the date and place in the Event Editor.
5) Single click OK in the Event Editor dialog.
6) Single click OK in the Edit Person dialog.

I saved myself 5 steps for this simple operation. If there were a page with 5 pieces of information on it, this would save 25 steps. If there were a page with 20 pieces of information (which often there are), this would save 100 steps.

Making a particular source the "default" source only saves me one step - step 7 above. I still have to click on the sources tab, and enter the source details (page, etc) and click OK. I actually want the system to add the source information to the event without my continued intervention.

~Brian

Since we are deep in the development of 2.2 right now, we are very
interested in hearing proposals on exactly how everyone would expect
such a feature to work. If we can come up with a good clean solution,
we'll see if we can get it into the 2.2 release.

However, we need specific proposals. Vague hand waving only confuses the
issues :-)

Boys and girls - this is your chance to help define the feature to get
it the way you want it...

Don

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 18:54 -0500, Tom Weichmann wrote:

> I have a small work around to make this a LITTLE easier.  When I put a new
> source in and have many peoplethat I need to connect to this source (I
> counted 20 once from an obit!) I Name it like this "**New SOurce" Then it is
> at the top of the list and therefore already selected and I don;t have to
> search for it in the drop down box.
>
> I too wish that there was a better way to do this.  To add a source to 20
> people and some more then one spot takes ALOT of clicks...
>
> On Friday 10 March 2006 11:03, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> > After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> > all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> > do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> > it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
> >
> > I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> > can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> > as suggested in Help but nothing happened.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
> A simple solution might be to all the definition of "Default" source, similar to the way we have a default person.
> We could then add a button to the place were you add a source to connect the default source.

Would the default source include source details (page number, volume, etc)?

> That way, nothing happens behind anyone's back, and a single click adds the information.

It's still not a single click, though because I have to click on the sources tab, then click the "apply default source" button. Then I still might need to enter source details (unless that is done as part of setting up the default source) which involves more clicks.

~Brian

From: "Jean Johnson" <[hidden email]>

> It sounds to me that what is being proposed is a circular list without
> beginning or ending points. Currently the first source on the alphabetical
> (with numeric preceding alphabetical) list is the one that pops up. Would it
> be useful to have the last source used be the one to come up always?
>
> Or are you suggesting something else that I am missing?
>
> Jean
>
> On 3/10/06, Brian Matherly <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Don,
> >
> > I would like to see a "Source Lock" feature which when enabled would cause
> > *any* information entered to automatically reference the locked source. This
> > would include names, dates, events and attributes. The display should always
> > keep the source details "on top" so that at any time I can enter new
> > details. This way, when I turn the page, I can quickly change the source
> > details to the new page.
> >
> > Obituary use case:
> > When entering data from an obituary, I usually create a new source, but
> > don't add any source details. In this case, as soon as I sit down to enter
> > information from the obituary, I would create a new source, enter the source
> > information, and then lock the source. Then I would proceed through the
> > obituary entering any information I found. All information would
> > automatically reference the locked source. When done, I would unlock the
> > source.
> >
> > Book use case:
> > When entering data from a book, I usually create a new source but have to
> > change the source details every time I  turn the page. In this case, when I
> > sit down to enter information from the book, I would create a new source,
> > enter the source information, and then lock the source. I would then proceed
> > through the book entering information as I find it. Whenever I turn the
> > page, I would change the source details to include the new page number
> > (which is really easy because it is "on top"). Any information I enter,
> > would automatically reference the locked source and use the current source
> > details. When done, I would unlock the source.
> >
> > ~Brian

Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Eero Tamminen-3

On Sunday 12 March 2006 22:03, Brian Matherly wrote:

> I'm trying to avoid as many clicks as possible. Believe me, when you are
> entering a lot of information from the same source, it gets very
> repetitive.
>
>  Let's review the steps to enter the birth date for a person from a book
> in the current system: 1) Find the person of interest in the people view
>  2) Double click the person to bring up the "Edit Person" dialog
>  3) Single click the "Envoke Birth Event Editor" button on the Edit
> Person dialog to bring up the Event Editor dialog. 4) Enter the date and
> place in the Event Editor.
>  5) Single click the "Sources" tab.
>  6) Single click the plus sign to show the "Source Information" dialog.
>  7) Select the Source from tht drop down box.
>  8) Enter the Volume/Film/Page Information in the source details section.
>  9) Single click OK in the Source Information dialog.
>  10) Single click OK in the Event Editor dialog.
>  11) Single click OK in the Edit Person dialog.
>
>  Now Let's review the steps to enter the birth date for a person from a
> book using my "source locking" suggestion: 1) Find the person of interest
> in the people view
>   2) Double click the person to bring up the "Edit Person" dialog
>   3) Single click the "Envoke Birth Event Editor" button on the Edit
> Person dialog to bring up the Event Editor dialog. 4) Enter the date and
> place in the Event Editor.
>   5) Single click OK in the Event Editor dialog.
>   6) Single click OK in the Edit Person dialog.
>
>  I saved myself 5 steps for this simple operation. If there were a page
> with 5 pieces of information on it, this would save 25 steps. If there
> were a page with 20 pieces of information (which often there are), this
> would save 100 steps.
>
>  Making a particular source the "default" source only saves me one step -
> step 7 above. I still have to click on the sources tab, and enter the
> source details (page, etc) and click OK. I actually want the system to
> add the source information to the event without my continued
> intervention.

Hm.  I think there's still quite a large margin for an error.  Imagine
somebody testing this feature without knowing what it was and noticing
that it was doing stuff behind his/her back only after inputing a couple of
hundred people...

What if this kind of background activity would give you a dialog informing
you what was added to the database ("Added <blah blah> for person <foo>")
and which you can OK just by pressing Enter?  There could also be another
dialog button which would give you the source editor.

        - Eero

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
>Hm.  I think there's still quite a large margin for an error.  Imagine
>somebody testing this feature without knowing what it was and noticing
>that it was doing stuff behind his/her back only after inputing a couple of
>hundred people...
>
>What if this kind of background activity would give you a dialog informing
>you what was added to the database ("Added <blah blah> for person <foo>")
>and which you can OK just by pressing Enter?  There could also be another
>dialog button which would give you the source editor.

 An other idea I had was to have a "Rude Source Lock Dialog" that stays on top of everything when source locking is enabled. You could move it to get it out of the way, but you couldn't ignore the fact that it was there. The dialog would include fields for changing the locked source so you could easily change the source or just details about the source (page, etc) and a button for turning source locking off so you could easily turn the feature off if you don't want it.

 ~Brian

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Brian Matherly-2
>One program I'm familiar with has a "source clipboard" that holds the
  >Master Source info.  The user clicks for whether to use the master
  >source for all material added to the person or event or just for info
  >added to the current field.  The a citation page pops up to be filled
  >out in more detail.  But, if the master source contains all the info you
  >want to use, you can skip having the individual citation page popping
  >up.  This is a very accurate and click-efficient way to handle it.
  >
  >Jim

  This sounds like exactly what I want.

 P.S. don't forget to cc the list

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Alex Roitman
Jim,

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 11:03 -0500, Jim Winfrey wrote:
> After adding several people with events to my database this morning,
> all using the same source, I'm wondering if there is a better way to
> do it than manually finding and applying the source each time I use
> it.  Sort of like a source scratchpad or clipboard?
>
> I thought the Scratchpad might be useful for something like this but I
> can't figure out how to use it.  I tried dragging the source into it
> as suggested in Help but nothing happened.

I have added this to our bug tracker:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1449992&group_id=25770&atid=385137

Please feel free to post more information to that page if my short
description of the problem is not correct.

Alex

Re: Sources - Scratchpad

Jim Winfrey
Thanks Alex,

The conversation finally boiled down to what the problem really is.
For the benefit of the developers, the request should read something
like:

"Develop a means to memorize a source so that it can be applied to
multiple people and multiple events with a minimum of mouse clicks.
The final product will allow editing to the Citations for each
application of the source."

What I think this means is when I am adding a bunch of stuff I got
from a particular source, I can type the source in one time, ask that
it be "memorized" and then apply it hopefully with a single mouse
click to all the applications I have for the source.  I would expect
there to be different Citation information for each application of the
master source.

Thanks,

Jim