Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
This problem started yesterday. I blew it off at first but it is a bit irritating as time goes on.

When I select sources, the items are listed double spaced if sorted number through Z. But if I click on the title to reverse the sort to Z through number all is well and sorted single spaced. Weired, what could I have done? My display columns are Title, ID, Author, Publication information. I think that is default. The only thing I can think of is I downloaded two changed gramplets  on the 20th. I don't see what they could do with anything.
this is 4.2.3 on LM 18.1

To partially answer my own question, I did change  LM to display text larger for tired old eyes. When I turn that off, the portion of the screen showing at the time of change corrects, but scrolling down the screen it is still doupble spaced. I am going to try a reboot. Am sending this anyhow since I may not return.
Rich

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Well I don't doubt my setting visual aids to large text might have created this problem but how to get out of it? My backup last night would contain the problem, and the previous backup is the 18th. And with a bum arm I have not done to much to lose.
The problem is not a double space but the space is double wide. I don't see that Gramps has any options to control this. The problem is only with the sources view and only when sorted in one direction.
I think I will restore the backup from the 18th in another new tree and see if the problem is there.
Rich

On 01/21/2017 03:18 PM, Rich wrote:
[...]

Dave Scheipers
Hi Rich,

If anything, it seems like the problem would be with the settings in gramps, not the databases.

Have you tried deleting gramps and doing a complete reinstall including, and I think most important, deleting the gramps user files. These are the files that contain what and how things are displayed.

You'd need to reinstall addons and reconfigure how and what things are displayed but your data should be okay.

I had a problem last week that after an add-on update, the People list would only show one column of information. Starting fresh by deleting everything except the database folder the thumbnail folder and the custom_filters.xml file in the gramps42 folder then reinstalling was the only way to fix it. Everything worked fine after the reinstall including after reinstalling all add-ons including the one that seemed to cause the issue.

Hope this helps, Dave

Since you add the tag line "Have you backed up your files today?" I wont remind you... which I just did.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(Not that important post, but I haven't been able to send, keeps failing. I have had that happen to the list before. Have rebooted still an issue. Maybe this time will be the charm)

I imported the backup from the 18th and it looks good set the LM large text and it gets bigger but without all the extra space. Reverting to normal text looks good. So not sure that the issue was making text large.
Exported my current tree and re-imported and it looks bad. So the "badness" went with the export.
I'm going to play with the good import of the 18th and see if the problem reoccurs. I will also look at .gramps. I did something there but I think it was with Forms.
If it reoccurs I will try a reinstall.
I've only added two census records since the 18th, so not too bad.
Rich

On 01/21/2017 04:12 PM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
[...]

You don't mention if you wiped out the previous install of Gramps and its user files and then doing a clean install. Doing that does not require that you do an import. It would be able to open your existing database.

Dave

Op 22-01-17 om 05:33 schreef Rich:

> I imported the backup from the 18th and it looks good set the LM large
> text and it gets bigger but without all the extra space. Reverting to
> normal text looks good. So not sure that the issue was making text large.
> Exported my current tree and re-imported and it looks bad. So the
> "badness" went with the export.
> I'm going to play with the good import of the 18th and see if the
> problem reoccurs. I will also look at .gramps. I did something there
> but I think it was with Forms.
> If it reoccurs I will try a reinstall.
> I've only added two census records since the 18th, so not too bad.
Here's a wild guess: Can it be that those census records have long
entries in the page field or something, or a newline somewhere? I know
that recent versions of Gramps don't load all rows when you open a view,
so that the offending row contents are just not there on one sorting,
and do influence the display on the other. I know that titles are
normally cut off, and displayed with dots at the end, but this is the
only thing that I can think of now.

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
No, I did not reinstall Gramps. But since the export of the bad DB imported w/ the error I would not expect a benefit. As I said the older backup did import ok and I did three census records last night exporting after each , but no problems. I did consider possibly a long line and first when I thought I had extra spaces, stretched Gramps across two screens. But its just an extra wide single space.
I've installed Grumps 4.2.3, 4.2.5 and 5.0 about 8 times in the last few weeks. If the problem reoccurs I will reinstall again to see if some code is altered creating the problem.
Thanks for your suggestions.

On 01/22/2017 07:37 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:
[...]

OK,

Occasionally, when I copy and paste from a source, usually ancestry or family search, there is a hidden character embedded in the string that causes the string to go onto a second line. Backspacing over the offending character (the curser doesn't actually move) usually does the job either that or retyping the entire string. I've not seen that it affects the rest of the display, just that that record gets truncated. But that's all I can think of.

Good luck, Dave

On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Rich <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
Well I don't doubt my setting visual aids to large text might have created this problem but how to get out of it? My backup last night would contain the problem, and the previous backup is the 18th. And with a bum arm I have not done to much to lose.
The problem is not a double space but the space is double wide. I don't see that Gramps has any options to control this. The problem is only with the sources view and only when sorted in one direction.
I think I will restore the backup from the 18th in another new tree and see if the problem is there.
Rich

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Problem has reoccurred. I did not make any Gramps changes yesterday but did have it open. Sunday I did add some census records so should not have a problem restoring. My next step is to reinstall 4.2.3 this evening. Posting this just in case someone might have a solution.
Again, it is not double spacing entries in the sources list view as I originally thought. I am getting a double wide line space that makes it appear I have extra space added.
In LibreOffice writer format/ spacing / Line spacing: 2 will show you what I am seeing. But the really odd thing is I only see this if the Sources Title is sorted ascending (normal sort), If I click on Title to sort descending I get normal line spacing.   And of the 1270 sources, the first 20 are normal, the next 1250 are wrong.
Well, if no one has a magic answer I plan to reinstall later. Glad I have a large disk as 4 to 6 exports a day are adding up. I've only used Gramps 2 of the three days since I last restored. What has changed?
Rich

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

On 01/24/2017 12:22 PM, Rich Lakey wrote:
[snip]
> Glad I have a large disk as 4 to 6 exports a day are adding up.

You must be including media every time.

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Naw, I exaggerated, 6.3mb per export. Not to bad.

I do have several mods/ patches
 bug9243 MSS.patch increase relationships from 20 to 50
bug9389.1.patch Narrative web report
bug9405.1.patch Narrative web report
relcalc.glade  change window size
eventembedlist.py change column widths in person view
mergeperson.glade change window size
findupes.glade change window size
selectobject.py change window size  *****
addmedia.glade change window size ****
 selectcitation.py change window size

I think I will leave a couple of these off for a week and see if problem reoccurs.
Rich

On 01/24/2017 12:48 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/24/2017 12:22 PM, Rich Lakey wrote:
[snip]
Glad I have a large disk as 4 to 6 exports a day are adding up.
You must be including media every time.

--
Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich,
> In LibreOffice writer format/ spacing / Line spacing: 2 will show you what I
> am seeing. But the really odd thing is I only see this if the Sources Title
> is sorted ascending (normal sort), If I click on Title to sort descending I
> get normal line spacing.   And of the 1270 sources, the first 20 are normal,
> the next 1250 are wrong.
H'm, my programmer's mind says that some thing's wrong with #21. Would
you mind removing that from a test copy of your tree, and check what
happens then?

Also, if you sort the other way, won't the last 21 go wrong?

regards,

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Good ideas, but I just reinstalled. BUT the 20 fit on the screen size I had. To see 21 I needed to scroll. So those that initial displayed were correct.
I did notice the first 30+ had an old last change date, 21 was not new.  Adding the last change date was my only change to the display. Also my last backup was bad, but the previous export was good. So I will only have to reenter one census record after I get setup again. I deleted .gramps also to reduce possibility of dragging trouble to the new install. That makes me wonder, I had 4.2.5 installed but had problems that I went back to 4.2.3 .I wonder if I deleted .gramps? I don't think so. There might have been something of 4.2.5 in .gramps
Rich

On 01/24/2017 02:21 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
Rich,
In LibreOffice writer format/ spacing / Line spacing: 2 will show you what I
am seeing. But the really odd thing is I only see this if the Sources Title
is sorted ascending (normal sort), If I click on Title to sort descending I
get normal line spacing.   And of the 1270 sources, the first 20 are normal,
the next 1250 are wrong.
H'm, my programmer's mind says that some thing's wrong with #21. Would
you mind removing that from a test copy of your tree, and check what
happens then?

Also, if you sort the other way, won't the last 21 go wrong?

regards,

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Problem is back.
I reinstalled Gramps, after removal and deletion of .gramps .
Installed three patches, two for Narrated Web and one to increase number of generations from 20 to 50.
I did not make any of my old changes for usability, I.e. screen sizes. It was the pits changing the screen so many times. But I entered a census record for a family, viewing my sources list occationally, to see if the list changed. After completley entering the family, sources list was good, I did an export for backup, displayed list still good.
Then I did a search for the next person to be doing a census record. EXCEPT I made and error and entered the find in the sources view instead of People view. I've made that error many times. With not hits I realized my mistake and went to the people view and did a find for the person I wanted and set them to home person. Then went back to sources view again (check it frequently) and it is wrong!
My screen size is different so the first 13 were correct and then the extra wide line spaces started. Somehow I think GTK is involved.
I resorted in descending order and all in the list are correct. Enno I believe suggested the last 13 might be wrong.
My thought is that this all started after installing 4.2.5 and going back to 4.2.3 . I am going to remove Gramps again and then double check that every Gramps folder is deleted and then reinstall.
Linux doesn't always do a complete delete of programs. After I am sure Gramps is completely removed, including two copies of 5.0 on my desktop, I will reinstall again.
Rich

Re: Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
I have submitted a bug report 9920

Re: Question - Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Does anyone have more than 1269 source records without double line spaces in sources view? It seem every time I enter the 1270 th source record I get double width line spacing. It would seem many people would have more than this.
I can take a backup from more than a month ago and add dummy source records to get to 1270 and wala! at 1270 the problem appears. Has occurred on multiple backups.
Rich

Re: Question - Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Dave Scheipers
Hi Rich,

I just added #1384 and 1385

No problems in either source view nor in the citation view where I have the source title as the first column.

Dave

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 11:15 AM, Rich Lakey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does anyone have more than 1269 source records without double line spaces in
sources view? It seem every time I enter the 1270 th source record I get
double width line spacing. It would seem many people would have more than
this.
I can take a backup from more than a month ago and add dummy source records
to get to 1270 and wala! at 1270 the problem appears. Has occurred on
multiple backups.
Rich

Re: Question - Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich,
> Does anyone have more than 1269 source records without double line spaces in
> sources view? It seem every time I enter the 1270 th source record I get
> double width line spacing. It would seem many people would have more than
> this.
> I can take a backup from more than a month ago and add dummy source records
> to get to 1270 and wala! at 1270 the problem appears. Has occurred on
> multiple backups.
I have more than 5000 sources, and I just installed 4.2.5 on a fresh
Linux Mint Debian Edition 2 setup. All line spacing looks normal here,
no matter where I scroll to, and regardless of sorting. I normally don't
use the last change date column, but when I activate that, I see no
change either.

It looks like the effect differs per Linux version, including versions
of the GTK toolkit that we use for menus etc., or that there still is
something in your tree. To exclude that, it would be nice if you can
send a .gramps file to a fellow user, or attach that to a bug report.
You can set bug reports to private so that only developers can download
attached files.

regards,

Re: Question - Sources view displays double spaced sorted in one direction

Rich Lakey
Thanks for your replies. I didn't think 1270 could be some kind of magic number.
So I ran Check and Repair Database out of desperation. It seems fixed. However I have thought I had it fixed before, several times.
So now my question is should Check and repair database be ran on a regular basis to make sure nothing is going wrong?
I will try this a few days and see what happens before I break out the champaign.

Rich

On 01/28/2017 01:11 PM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
Rich,
[...]

enno
Op 28-01-17 om 22:54 schreef Rich:
> Thanks for your replies. I didn't think 1270 could be some kind of
> magic number.
> So I ran Check and Repair Database out of desperation. It seems fixed.
> However I have thought I had it fixed before, several times.
> So now my question is should Check and repair database be ran on a
> regular basis to make sure nothing is going wrong?
You can run it to be sure, but it doesn't prevent anything. The main (or
sole) purpose of check and repair is to correct erroneous references
between tables in the Gramps database, like from persons to events,
notes, citations, etc. etc., or to check for missing media.

In the flat sources view, no references to other tables are used, so it
should not be sensitive to this kind of issues. The case is different
for the source tree view, because in that, Gramps reads the citation
table too, and it may show odd things when a referenced citation can't
be found.

My suspicions go into another direction though, like GTK. And for
further checks, it really helps to have a copy of your tree to check with.

regards,