Quantcast

Spell checker in Gramps

Les-3
Hi All,
Gramps 4.2.3 Ubuntu 14.04

I have been adding a lot of first/last names and place names into my Gramps dictionary.

When I update Gramps to a later version, I use a XML file and updating Ubuntu I do a clean install.

It stuck me, does that mean I will lose my updated Dictionary and have to re-add all the names, if so, what would I need to back up to keep the Dictionary in-tacked,
bearing in mind I am a silver surfer.

Any help much appreciated

Les

Re: Spell checker in Gramps

Rich Lakey
I had that question myself a month or so ago.
I use Linux Mint which is built on Ubuntu so maybe they are the same. In the home directory I have a folder .config and in that is a folder named enchant.  enchant has two files. The first, en_US.dic is your user dictionary. I would suggest you back it up occasionally as you would your gramps Data Base. When you do a clean install of Ubuntu you will see this dictionary with a size of zero. Replace it with your backup.

Rich

On 03/16/2017 06:24 AM, Les wrote:
Hi All,
Gramps 4.2.3 Ubuntu 14.04

I have been adding a lot of first/last names and place names into my Gramps dictionary.

When I update Gramps to a later version, I use a XML file and updating Ubuntu I do a clean install.

It stuck me, does that mean I will lose my updated Dictionary and have to re-add all the names, if so, what would I need to back up to keep the Dictionary in-tacked,
bearing in mind I am a silver surfer.

Any help much appreciated

Les

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Spell checker in Gramps

Les-3
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the help, sorry I took so long to get back to you.

Les

I use Linux Mint which is built on Ubuntu so maybe they are the
      same. In the home directory I have a folder .config and in that is
      a folder named enchant.  enchant has two files. The first,
      en_US.dic is your user dictionary. I would suggest you back it up
      occasionally as you would your gramps Data Base. When you do a
      clean install of Ubuntu you will see this dictionary with a size
      of zero. Replace it with your backup.<br>

Hi All,<br>
      Gramps 4.2.3 Ubuntu 14.04<br>
      I have been adding a lot of first/last names and place names into
      my Gramps dictionary.<br>
      When I update Gramps to a later version, I use a XML file and
      updating Ubuntu I do a clean install.<br>
      It stuck me, does that mean I will lose my updated Dictionary and
      have to re-add all the names, if so, what would I need to back up
      to keep the Dictionary in-tacked, <br>
      bearing in mind I am a silver surfer.<br>