Spliting a database

Richard Troxel
I have been a user of the Gramps genealogical progam for several years. I have created a database with over six hundred people and I expect that to more than double.  I want to split this database into three or four.

Each time I create a Gedcom file I lose all of the spouse data in the new database... any ideas?

Re: Spliting a database

Richard Nairn

Are you still using Gramps for the files? You can export as a gramps file and split it using the filters.

On 2019-03-15 2:36 p.m., Richard Troxel wrote:
I have been a user of the Gramps genealogical progam for several years. I have created a database with over six hundred people and I expect that to more than double.  I want to split this database into three or four.

Each time I create a Gedcom file I lose all of the spouse data in the new database... any ideas?

Re: Spliting a database

Peter Merchant
On 15/03/2019 20:36, Richard Troxel wrote:
> I have been a user of the Gramps genealogical progam for several years. I have created a database with over six hundred people and I expect that to more than double.  I want to split this database into three or four.
>
> Each time I create a Gedcom file I lose all of the spouse data in the new database... any ideas?

I found that the general consensus among gramps users is to have everything as a single database so I have recently been through the exercise of combining a number of different family databases into one.

I wrote about some of the problems encountered here. Some of them may be relevant when you are trying to remove people from your reduced database. http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Best-way-of-combining-databases-td4684244.html .

One of the problems with maintaining  multiple databases is having to update multiple databases with every new grand-child or found item.

Martnal wrote about how to filter out people in his question here:

http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Exporting-a-GEDCOM-with-just-my-own-direct-ancestors-td4684241.html

This may include hints that will help it to go smoothly, but if you are staying within gramps you really do not want to go the gedcom route.

good luck.

Peter M.

Re: Spliting a database

I'll echo Peter's comments about keeping your families as one
database. Besides having to update the common people within the
multiple databases, you would also need to maintain duplicate place
and source/citation databases.

One of the benefits of Gramps is recognizing the commonality between
different segments of your work. Something that is lost when families
are kept separate.

If and when you need to create reports or send a relative their
portion of the family tree, filters can easily do that.

Dave

On 16/03/2019 13:43, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> I'll echo Peter's comments about keeping your families as one
> database. Besides having to update the common people within the
> multiple databases, you would also need to maintain duplicate place
> and source/citation databases.
>
> One of the benefits of Gramps is recognizing the commonality between
> different segments of your work. Something that is lost when families
> are kept separate.
>
> If and when you need to create reports or send a relative their
> portion of the family tree, filters can easily do that.
>
> Dave

If Richard was really going to do it the hard way, by backing up his database and then creating new databases and importing the backup into each, he would then have all the citations/places etc in place, but a lot of no longer relevant items in each of those. There are tools in gramps to find  what I called 'orphans' but you do need to put the time into it. And stop and think it through before you delete things!

Peter