Startup person selection

Re: Source-based data entry [Was: Startup person selection]

StoltHD
You folks can much more about programming than me, so you will manage to figure out how to implement things...
I think that a full feature set of Markdown with wiki support would be a good solution, because as I can see it also support internal and external links like [[Some link]].

I Agree with Enno that having a "full browser" would be dangerous, and actually on some Windows installations, it can actually be problematic to run because of security (everything must be signed)... and though I would like to be able to render SVG directly into the notes, I do not want Javascript or any other scripts to run...

I don't think the MArkdown library for Python was depending on webkit or any other htm render... but I didn't read much about it, just found it as a tips...

Many software i use have markdown support and some of them are not more than 5-25 mb total size...

tor. 16. mai 2019 kl. 01:07 skrev Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>:
Hello Jaran,

> Can't you use one of the already great markdown or rtf editors thats
> out there as open source?
>
> There must be multiple advanced Markdown Editors for Python?
>
> something like this?
> https://python-markdown.github.io
> https://pypi.org/project/Markdown/#files
>
> https://github.com/jebedaia360/PyGtkFX
> https://pypi.org/project/formiko/
>
> I am not a developer so i do not know of all the dependencies, so its
> just a tips and a question...
I have not checked all of them, and noticed that some depend on WebKit,
but I like the idea, because with Markdown we are probably much safer
than running a full browser inside Gramps, which might do nasty things
with javascript or even flash. Most things that I like to have, like
lists and tables, are supported by Markdown, which should be easy to
learn, and allows us to avoid some of the nasty parts of pure html.

> Reason is that I am looking for a new note taking software that can
> "replace" Microsoft OneNote... and software as TiddlyWiki, Joplin, and
> more all support some markdown, and in Joplin that have its own web
> clipper, the result of the web clip is okay, depending on the
> website... (some archives do not work well...

I tried the Joplin web clipper on a few articles, for which it worked
quite well. It works on FamilySearch too, but not on the Dutch
WieWasWie. Anyway, because it's open, and has an SQLite datebase,
importing notes into Gramps should be easy.

The best would be if users have a choice, so that they can work with
Markdown in Gramps, and import from Joplin if they want to. And the
nicest would be if the Markdown editor can do some WYSIWYG things too.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Cheers,

Re: Source-based data entry [Was: Startup person selection]

GRAMPS - User mailing list
This won't be a helpful post, just a vent from a person whose first multi-tasking microcomputer had 512kb for a graphical OS, desktop publishing suite and working space, but...

how the HELL has the universe gotten to the point where a simple text markup library is 30 MBs?

-Brian

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 7:26, StoltHD
--
You folks can much more about programming than me, so you will manage to figure out how to implement things...
I think that a full feature set of Markdown with wiki support would be a good solution, because as I can see it also support internal and external links like [[Some link]].

I Agree with Enno that having a "full browser" would be dangerous, and actually on some Windows installations, it can actually be problematic to run because of security (everything must be signed)... and though I would like to be able to render SVG directly into the notes, I do not want Javascript or any other scripts to run...

I don't think the MArkdown library for Python was depending on webkit or any other htm render... but I didn't read much about it, just found it as a tips...

Many software i use have markdown support and some of them are not more than 5-25 mb total size...

tor. 16. mai 2019 kl. 01:07 skrev Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]>:
Hello Jaran,

> Can't you use one of the already great markdown or rtf editors thats out there as open source?
>
> There must be multiple advanced Markdown Editors for Python?
>
> something like this?
https://python-markdown.github.io
https://pypi.org/project/Markdown/#files

https://github.com/jebedaia360/PyGtkFX
https://pypi.org/project/formiko/

> I am not a developer so i do not know of all the dependencies, so its  just a tips and a question...
I have not checked all of them, and noticed that some depend on WebKit,
but I like the idea, because with Markdown we are probably much safer
than running a full browser inside Gramps, which might do nasty things with javascript or even flash. Most things that I like to have, like lists and tables, are supported by Markdown, which should be easy to learn, and allows us to avoid some of the nasty parts of pure html.

> Reason is that I am looking for a new note taking software that can "replace" Microsoft OneNote... and software as TiddlyWiki, Joplin, and more all support some markdown, and in Joplin that have its own web clipper, the result of the web clip is okay, depending on the website... (some archives do not work well...

I tried the Joplin web clipper on a few articles, for which it worked quite well. It works on FamilySearch too, but not on the Dutch WieWasWie. Anyway, because it's open, and has an SQLite datebase,
importing notes into Gramps should be easy.

The best would be if users have a choice, so that they can work with Markdown in Gramps, and import from Joplin if they want to. And the nicest would be if the Markdown editor can do some WYSIWYG things too.

Thanks for mentioning this.
Cheers,

Re: Source-based data entry [Was: Startup person selection]

Hi Jaran,

> I don't think the MArkdown library for Python was depending on webkit
> or any other htm render... but I didn't read much about it, just found
> it as a tips...

I understand. I checked all links that you provided, and found that the
3rd and 4th mentioned that one needs WebKit to install them. And
although Python Markdown doesn't mention it, I found out that it
converts MD to HTML, which means that you still need an HTML renderer to
see what you type, so that too relies on WebKit or an equivalent package.

To my regret, this seems to bring us back to square one. :-(