Strange behaviour when using clipboard.

davehamilton1948

Hi All

I am using the clipboard to update BDM event details in order to capture where direct relatives are informants or witnesses. For example where a woman is the informant for the registration of the birth of her grand-daughter. The steps I take are as follows:

Step 1 Select ‘Relationship view’ of person 1

Step 2 Select Edit of person 1 to show details with event list

Step 3 Drag event n to the clipboard

Step 4 Click OK to close edit of person 1

Step 5 Select father of person 1 to show father’s relationship view

Step 6 Select edit of mother of father of person 1 to show details with event list of mother

Step 7 Drag event from clipboard into event list of mother of father of person 1

Step 8 Change role from ‘Unknown’ to ‘Informant’ and click OK to save

Step 9 Click OK to save details of mother of father of person 1

The result is display of relationship view of person 1 rather than that of his father which is what I expected.

If I don’t perform steps 7 and 8 (because the details are already recorded for example) the result is the display of the relationship view of the father.

Am I expecting the wrong thing or should I record this as a bug.

Cheers

Dave

Gramps 5.0.1 under Win10-64

Re: Strange behaviour when using clipboard.

Dave Scheipers
It is NOT a bug.

With any shared event, the Primary role person will be the name
displayed. It is that person's event.  The Grandmother was the
Informant for "Person 1"'s event.

If every event just showed the edit person's name regardless of role,
there would not be a need to display the name.

HTH, Dave

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:46 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am using the clipboard to update BDM event details in order to capture where direct relatives are informants or witnesses. For example where a woman is the informant for the registration of the birth of her grand-daughter. The steps I take are as follows:
>
> Step 1 Select ‘Relationship view’ of person 1
>
> Step 2 Select Edit of person 1 to show details with event list
>
> Step 3 Drag event n to the clipboard
>
> Step 4 Click OK to close edit of person 1
>
> Step 5 Select father of person 1 to show father’s relationship view
>
> Step 6 Select edit of mother of father of person 1 to show details with event list of mother
>
> Step 7 Drag event from clipboard into event list of mother of father of person 1
>
> Step 8 Change role from ‘Unknown’ to ‘Informant’ and click OK to save
>
> Step 9 Click OK to save details of mother of father of person 1
>
> The result is display of relationship view of person 1 rather than that of his father which is what I expected.
>
> If I don’t perform steps 7 and 8 (because the details are already recorded for example) the result is the display of the relationship view of the father.
>
> Am I expecting the wrong thing or should I record this as a bug.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave
>
> Gramps 5.0.1 under Win10-64

Re: Strange behaviour when using clipboard.

Tom Hughes
Sure, but why should saving a person who is the selected focus
in the relationship view jump the focus to a different person
just because they are the primary on an event you just added to
the first person?

I hadn't actually worked out what was going on myself but I had
noticed that at some point saving a person would cause the focus
of the relationship view to suddenly jump to a different person
and I have to say I find it intensely annoying!

Tom

On 01/02/2019 13:50, Dave Scheipers wrote:

> It is NOT a bug.
>
> With any shared event, the Primary role person will be the name
> displayed. It is that person's event.  The Grandmother was the
> Informant for "Person 1"'s event.
>
> If every event just showed the edit person's name regardless of role,
> there would not be a need to display the name.
>
> HTH, Dave
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:46 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am using the clipboard to update BDM event details in order to capture where direct relatives are informants or witnesses. For example where a woman is the informant for the registration of the birth of her grand-daughter. The steps I take are as follows:
>>
>> Step 1 Select ‘Relationship view’ of person 1
>>
>> Step 2 Select Edit of person 1 to show details with event list
>>
>> Step 3 Drag event n to the clipboard
>>
>> Step 4 Click OK to close edit of person 1
>>
>> Step 5 Select father of person 1 to show father’s relationship view
>>
>> Step 6 Select edit of mother of father of person 1 to show details with event list of mother
>>
>> Step 7 Drag event from clipboard into event list of mother of father of person 1
>>
>> Step 8 Change role from ‘Unknown’ to ‘Informant’ and click OK to save
>>
>> Step 9 Click OK to save details of mother of father of person 1
>>
>> The result is display of relationship view of person 1 rather than that of his father which is what I expected.
>>
>> If I don’t perform steps 7 and 8 (because the details are already recorded for example) the result is the display of the relationship view of the father.
>>
>> Am I expecting the wrong thing or should I record this as a bug.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Gramps 5.0.1 under Win10-64

Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Strange behaviour when using clipboard.

Dave Scheipers
I apologize.

I misread the issue and skipped over the real issue. Truthfully, I use
shared events so rarely I never noticed the change of focus.

Dave

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:10 AM Tom Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, but why should saving a person who is the selected focus
> in the relationship view jump the focus to a different person
> just because they are the primary on an event you just added to
> the first person?
>
> I hadn't actually worked out what was going on myself but I had
> noticed that at some point saving a person would cause the focus
> of the relationship view to suddenly jump to a different person
> and I have to say I find it intensely annoying!
>
> Tom
>
> On 01/02/2019 13:50, Dave Scheipers wrote:
> > It is NOT a bug.
> >
> > With any shared event, the Primary role person will be the name
> > displayed. It is that person's event.  The Grandmother was the
> > Informant for "Person 1"'s event.
> >
> > If every event just showed the edit person's name regardless of role,
> > there would not be a need to display the name.
> >
> > HTH, Dave
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:46 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi All
> >>
> >> I am using the clipboard to update BDM event details in order to capture where direct relatives are informants or witnesses. For example where a woman is the informant for the registration of the birth of her grand-daughter. The steps I take are as follows:
> >>
> >> Step 1 Select ‘Relationship view’ of person 1
> >>
> >> Step 2 Select Edit of person 1 to show details with event list
> >>
> >> Step 3 Drag event n to the clipboard
> >>
> >> Step 4 Click OK to close edit of person 1
> >>
> >> Step 5 Select father of person 1 to show father’s relationship view
> >>
> >> Step 6 Select edit of mother of father of person 1 to show details with event list of mother
> >>
> >> Step 7 Drag event from clipboard into event list of mother of father of person 1
> >>
> >> Step 8 Change role from ‘Unknown’ to ‘Informant’ and click OK to save
> >>
> >> Step 9 Click OK to save details of mother of father of person 1
> >>
> >> The result is display of relationship view of person 1 rather than that of his father which is what I expected.
> >>
> >> If I don’t perform steps 7 and 8 (because the details are already recorded for example) the result is the display of the relationship view of the father.
> >>
> >> Am I expecting the wrong thing or should I record this as a bug.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Dave
> >>
> >> Gramps 5.0.1 under Win10-64

> Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
> http://compton.nu/

Re: Strange behaviour when using clipboard.

davehamilton1948
Thanks Dave (and Tom). Now that I understand what's happening and the sort of logic behind it, I can live with it.

Cheers
Dave