Subject: Gramps> Text Reports>Detailed, Ancestral Report> Duplicate results?

Brian McMillan of Remax & Queenstown

Hi Folks,  in one particular lineage, I get a significant number of repeated persons showing up....ie..problem is not limited to one name only

These results look like :

1040.  Last name, first name is the same person as [392]  (these numbers can vary)

1042.  Last name, first name is the same person as [397]

I have checked if such persons  have been mistakenly entered multiple times..and the answer is no.

Next thought was I may have added the one person into two families..but again..it doesnt appear so..

Any advice as to why..but also how to remove these?

Re: Subject: Gramps> Text Reports>Detailed, Ancestral Report> Duplicate results?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Brian

Somewhere in your tree, cousins married each other so going back
through both lines, you get back to the same grandparents.  Instead of
printing the same information over and over again, the report is
saying the person that would have been printed as 1040 is already
printed as 392. A cross reference.

The report has a checkbox in the Content tab >> Omit duplicate ancestors.

HTH Dave

Op 01-01-2020 om 09:49 schreef Brian McMillan. Queenstown Realtor:

Hi Folks,  in one particular lineage, I get a significant number of repeated persons showing up....ie..problem is not limited to one name only

These results look like :

1040.  Last name, first name is the same person as [392]  (these numbers can vary)

1042.  Last name, first name is the same person as [397]

I have checked if such persons  have been mistakenly entered multiple times..and the answer is no.

Next thought was I may have added the one person into two families..but again..it doesnt appear so..

Any advice as to why..but also how to remove these?

The cause of this is inbreeding, which is very likely in communities like yours. I found one similar case in my girlfriend's ancestry, where her paternal grandmother's grandmothers were sisters.

The sisters' parents appear as duplicates in the 5th generation, where the persons numbered 46 and 47 are the same as 42 and 43. If the numbers in your example are accurate however, there is a link between persons in the 10th and the 8th generation. This is entirely possible if some lines breed faster than others, but if the numbers are really accurate, you do have a real problem.

This is, because in Ahnentafel numbering even numbers are males, and odd are females, and your example shows an even number (1042) as the same as an odd one (397), meaning that some person along the line is both a father and a mother, and that's odd.

Note that the root person is always 1, regardless of gender.

I suggest that you use the Deep Connections Gramplet to check the paths, between the closest common ancestors and the root person.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_collapse

Happy New Year,

Re: Subject: Gramps> Text Reports>Detailed, Ancestral Report> Duplicate results?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 14:01:58 +0100
Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The cause of this is inbreeding, which is very likely in communities like yours. I found one similar case in my girlfriend's ancestry, where her paternal grandmother's grandmothers were sisters.

I have in mine two brothers who married two sisters.

Later a son of one couple married a grand-daughter of the other.

One wonders how the children turned out...

Cheers,

Ron.
--
           A free society is one where it is safe to be unpopular.
                                                -- Adlai Stevenson

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --