Support for Hebrew names and dates?

Seymour J Metz
I am currently using a program called Family Tree/2 that allows me to define additional fields, one of which is a Hebre name. I can export to GEDCOM format, and the export is driven by a script, so it easy to alter the layout. Is it possible for gramps to import a family tree containing something like

1 NAME Seymour Jerome /Metz/
2 TYPE birth
1 NAME שמואל בן לאה ול״ביש
2 TYPE Hebrew Name
2 ROMN Shmuel ben Leibisch
3 TYPE transliteration

Also, is there provision for entering both a Gregorian date and a Hebrew dates for events?

Thanks.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

Re: Support for Hebrew names and dates?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I did a reverse test. Input the name g alternate names into Gramps and exported to GED2.

No doubt I mangled the given, 'son of' & surname but I only know English... well actually American with a bit of half-forgotten high school French.

0 @I0000@ INDI
1 NAME Seymour Jerome /Metz/
2 GIVN Seymour Jerome
2 SURN Metz
1 NAME שמואל בן לאה/ ול״ביש/
2 TYPE Hebrew Name
2 GIVN שמואל בן לאה ול״ביש
2 SPFX  לאה
2 SURN שמואל
1 NAME
2 ROMN Shmuel /ben Leibisch/
2 TYPE ROMN
2 GIVN Shmuel
2 SPFX ben
2 SURN Leibisch
1 SEX M

Put in 'Transliteration' in as the 'Origin' for the ROMN alternate name but the export dropped that.

-Brian

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 11:47, Seymour J Metz
I am currently using a program called Family Tree/2 that allows me to define additional fields, one of which is a Hebre name. I can export to GEDCOM format, and the export is driven by a script, so it easy to alter the layout. Is it possible for gramps to import a family tree containing something like

1 NAME Seymour Jerome /Metz/
2 TYPE birth
1 NAME שמואל בן לאה ול״ביש
2 TYPE Hebrew Name
2 ROMN Shmuel ben Leibisch
3 TYPE transliteration

Also, is there provision for entering both a Gregorian date and a Hebrew dates for events?

Thanks.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

Re: Support for Hebrew names and dates?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Typo correction the ROMN section was transcribed wrongly.

0 @I0000@ INDI
1 NAME Seymour Jerome /Metz/
2 GIVN Seymour Jerome
2 SURN Metz
1 NAME שמואל בן לאה/ ול״ביש/
2 TYPE Hebrew Name
2 GIVN שמואל בן לאה ול״ביש
2 SPFX  לאה
2 SURN שמואל
1 NAME Shmuel /ben Leibisch/
2 TYPE ROMN
2 GIVN Shmuel
2 SPFX ben
2 SURN Leibisch
1 SEX M

If someone has a suggestion displaying dates in 2 formats, that'd be good to hear too.  I'd love to be able to show Quaker Dates beside the Gregorian or Julian date if (& only if) a Quaker date was what the source had listed.
https://www.swarthmore.edu/friends-historical-library/quaker-calendar

-Brian

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 12:30, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users

Untitled Download Attachment
Untitled (206 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Support for Hebrew names and dates?

Dave Scheipers
The only thing I can think of for the date, is to use the existing
date for the most important date structure and then either using the
Description or an Attribute for the secondary date.

If using the Attribute see this earlier post to have the Attribute
type added to the list.
https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/36734762/

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 1:39 PM Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Typo correction the ROMN section was transcribed wrongly.
>
> 0 @I0000@ INDI
> 1 NAME Seymour Jerome /Metz/
> 2 GIVN Seymour Jerome
> 2 SURN Metz
> 1 NAME שמואל בן לאה/ ול״ביש/
> 2 TYPE Hebrew Name
> 2 GIVN שמואל בן לאה ול״ביש
> 2 SPFX  לאה
> 2 SURN שמואל
> 1 NAME Shmuel /ben Leibisch/
> 2 TYPE ROMN
> 2 GIVN Shmuel
> 2 SPFX ben
> 2 SURN Leibisch
> 1 SEX M
>

> If someone has a suggestion displaying dates in 2 formats, that'd be good to hear too.  I'd love to be able to show Quaker Dates beside the Gregorian or Julian date if (& only if) a Quaker date was what the source had listed.
> https://www.swarthmore.edu/friends-historical-library/quaker-calendar
>
> -Brian
>
> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 12:30, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users

Re: Support for Hebrew names and dates?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Thanks Dave.  You're right, a custom attribute is probably the best way.

The Hebrew calendar is already a built-in... so Seymour should be able to customize reports to uncle both when a Hebrew Alt name type exists.  The Quaker calendar isn't likely to ever be added. Just too small of a community.

-Brian

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 13:34, Dave Scheipers