Swedish translation

Stefan Björk
The swedish translation of Gramps need some changes and fixes,
especially regarding the Narrative Web. I had the idea that I should do
those changes myself and post a patch, but I discovered that the
gramps.mo file is a binary format.

Is there an official manager for the swedish translation of gramps to
which I could send my change requests, or is editing of the source files
something that could be done by a novice like me?

Stefan

Re: Swedish translation

Bugzilla from frode.jemtland@skolelinux.no
Hi Stefan.

Saturday 17. September 2005 21:16, wrote Stefan Björk:
> The swedish translation of Gramps need some changes and fixes,
> especially regarding the Narrative Web. I had the idea that I should do
> those changes myself and post a patch, but I discovered that the
> gramps.mo file is a binary format.
>
> Is there an official manager for the swedish translation of gramps to
> which I could send my change requests, or is editing of the source files
> something that could be done by a novice like me?

The official translators of the Swedish translation is/was Jens Arvidsson
<[hidden email]> and Bo Rosén <[hidden email]>. Jens is the one who has
done the last commit. (2004/02/11 07:46:18)

The textfile with the last translations is available at this url:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gramps/gramps2/src/po/sv.po

If you want to do updates to the file, save it on you disk, and open it in a
translation tool. (I use kbabel, but you also have gtranslator, and others)

When done, you can mail the file back to us. Or you can even get your own cvs
account, and do the commit's your self. That requires that you have some
knowledge of cvs.

If all of this was a little over the top, tell us, and we'll try to get a
email solution up and working.

(btw: I cc'ed you just in case you are not on the list.)

--
-Frode

Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.
                -- Jean-Paul Sartre

Petition for "World of Warcraft" on Linux: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/

Re: Swedish translation

Stefan Björk
Hi Frode,

> When done, you can mail the file back to us. Or you can even get your own cvs
> account, and do the commit's your self. That requires that you have some
> knowledge of cvs.

Go for the CVS account. I use CVS on a daily basis and is quite familiar
with it.

And, honestly, I'm not that much of a novice. I'm just afraid to end up
with too much work... :-)

Stefan (psychology student, recent father and former IT security
consultant :-))

Sunday 18. September 2005 09:35, wrote Stefan Björk:
> Hi Frode,
>
> > When done, you can mail the file back to us. Or you can even get your own
> > cvs account, and do the commit's your self. That requires that you have
> > some knowledge of cvs.
>
> Go for the CVS account. I use CVS on a daily basis and is quite familiar
> with it.

Do you have a account on SF.net ? If not, create one, and Don or Alex probably
can give your account cvs access.

You should also register on the gramps-devel mailing list.

> And, honestly, I'm not that much of a novice. I'm just afraid to end up
> with too much work... :-)

> Stefan (psychology student, recent father and former IT security
> consultant :-))

:)

--
-Frode

Got Mole problems?  Call Avogadro at 6.02 x 10^23.

Petition for "World of Warcraft" on Linux: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/

Re: Swedish translation

Stefan Björk
> The textfile with the last translations is available at this url:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gramps/gramps2/src/po/sv.po
>
> If you want to do updates to the file, save it on you disk, and open it in a
> translation tool. (I use kbabel, but you also have gtranslator, and others)

I've been looking into this, but I can't find the strings I want to
translate. I guess there's some kind of method to update the sv.po file
with the latest text strings from the source code?

Stefan

Re: Swedish translation

Alex Roitman
Stefan,

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 22:49 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:
> > The textfile with the last translations is available at this url:
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gramps/gramps2/src/po/sv.po
> >
> > If you want to do updates to the file, save it on you disk, and open it in a
> > translation tool. (I use kbabel, but you also have gtranslator, and others)
>
> I've been looking into this, but I can't find the strings I want to
> translate. I guess there's some kind of method to update the sv.po file
> with the latest text strings from the source code?

Yes. Well, first of all, you can use developer CVS which is real-time
(while the anonymous CVS and its web snapshot are delayed for a
few hours), check out gramps20 branch of gramps2 repository, and
look for sv.po file.

Next, use msgmerge to update strings:
   $ cd src/po
   $ msgmerge -o new_sv.po sv.po template.po

Then you may rename new_sv.po into sv.po and translate it and check
it in.

This and some other (hopefully, useful) things are covered here:
   http://developers.gramps-project.org//tiki-index.php?page=TipsForTranslators

Alex

Re: Swedish translation

Alex Roitman
On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 22:49 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:
> > The textfile with the last translations is available at this url:
> > http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gramps/gramps2/src/po/sv.po

Actually, this would be a link to HEAD, while you need gramps20 branch.
Here's the correct link (but you better use CVS anyway :-):
   http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/gramps/gramps2/src/po/sv.po?rev=1.17.6.7

Alex