Switch between languages

Peter van Rijn
Hi all,

When I installed Gramps last year I chose to do so in my own language.
Later I discovered this list and find that I can learn a lot from it.
However it is sometimes hard to quickly understand what part of the
program, or which features are being discussed, just because I don't
always know how things are translated.
So  I wondered, is it an easy and safe operation to switch between
English and Dutch?

Thanks for your time,

--
Peter

Gramps 5.0.1
Windows 10

Re: Switch between languages

Nick Hall
On 01/02/2019 15:57, Peter van Rijn wrote:
> When I installed Gramps last year I chose to do so in my own language.
> Later I discovered this list and find that I can learn a lot from it.
> However it is sometimes hard to quickly understand what part of the
> program, or which features are being discussed, just because I don't
> always know how things are translated.
> So  I wondered, is it an easy and safe operation to switch between
> English and Dutch?

Yes.  It is both easy and safe.  See:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Language

Re: Switch between languages

Peter van Rijn
Thanks a lot Nick, seems easy enough.

Peter

Op 1-2-2019 om 21:28 schreef Nick Hall:

> On 01/02/2019 15:57, Peter van Rijn wrote:
>> When I installed Gramps last year I chose to do so in my own
>> language. Later I discovered this list and find that I can learn a
>> lot from it.
>> However it is sometimes hard to quickly understand what part of the
>> program, or which features are being discussed, just because I don't
>> always know how things are translated.
>> So  I wondered, is it an easy and safe operation to switch between
>> English and Dutch?
>
> Yes.  It is both easy and safe.  See:
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Language
>

> Nick.

Re: Switch between languages

Erik P. Olsen
On 2019-02-01 at 16:57:56 Peter van Rijn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When I installed Gramps last year I chose to do so in my own language.
> Later I discovered this list and find that I can learn a lot from it.
> However it is sometimes hard to quickly understand what part of the
> program, or which features are being discussed, just because I don't
> always know how things are translated.
> So  I wondered, is it an easy and safe operation to switch between
> English and Dutch?
>
> Thanks for your time,

#!/bin/bash
# Run gramps in English

export LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
gramps

Erik P. Olsen

Op 1-2-2019 om 22:49 schreef Erik P. Olsen:

> On 2019-02-01 at 16:57:56 Peter van Rijn wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When I installed Gramps last year I chose to do so in my own language.
>> Later I discovered this list and find that I can learn a lot from it.
>> However it is sometimes hard to quickly understand what part of the
>> program, or which features are being discussed, just because I don't
>> always know how things are translated.
>> So  I wondered, is it an easy and safe operation to switch between
>> English and Dutch?
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
> #!/bin/bash
> # Run gramps in English
>
> export LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
> gramps
>
> --
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen

Thanks Erik, although I thought I added Windows 10 to my original post I
am considering to move it to my Ubuntu env so this might come in handy
as well.

Cheers,
Peter