Switching completely to GRAMPS

Cathy Phillips
I too would like to switch completely over to GRAMPS 2.0. But there is
things about GRAMPS that I just don't like.

1. Slow as can be... By the time it decides to come on, I have done
given up on it opening up.
Then what ever I go to do in the program, its very slow... Then some
times it don't work at all.

2. When it first opens up, I guess it opens to the index of surnames. I
would like to have it open to who you were working on last. Not having
to go through all the names to find or if your away for a while as to
who you were working on last.

3. I can't get the surnames to open up lots of the time. The program
just sits there and don't go to the list of individuals under the surname.

4. I don't like having to scroll down through the surnames to get to the
one I want, then scroll down through those names to find the one I want.
Need a search box, to type in name wanted.

Well I guess this is all I can talk about now, cause I can't get GRAMPS
to go any further then bring up an individual person to edit. I did want
to discuss some issues that in the future you might consider...

Cathy..

Re: Switching completely to GRAMPS

Duncan Lithgow
On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 20:52 -0700, Cathy Phillips wrote:
> I too would like to switch completely over to GRAMPS 2.0. But there is
> things about GRAMPS that I just don't like.

> 2. When it first opens up, I guess it opens to the index of surnames. I
> would like to have it open to who you were working on last. Not having
> to go through all the names to find or if your away for a while as to
> who you were working on last.
This has been discussed a few times, it needs to default to something
and at the moment it's been decided not to make a per-user setting for
how/whom it opens to. It's still a good idea in my view. Try reporting
it as an RFE (request for enhancement).
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=25770

> 4. I don't like having to scroll down through the surnames to get to the
> one I want, then scroll down through those names to find the one I want.
> Need a search box, to type in name wanted.
Just select one surname and start typing the surname you want, you'll
see a small search box come up in the lower-right corner. You're right
though that it's not obvious that this is possible. In 2.2 there is a
much more obvious method.

You're getting some rather odd problems, if they happen often you should
report them as bugs so someone can take a closer look and get you to run
some tests. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=25770

Duncan
--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk

Re: Switching completely to GRAMPS

Trevor Rhodes-2
Duncan,

> You're getting some rather odd problems, if they happen often you should
> report them as bugs so someone can take a closer look and get you to run
> some tests. http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=25770

Um, good idea, but wrong address.  All bugs and RFE's are now to be
submitted at http://bugs.gramps-project.org

You will of course need to create a bugtracker account.  One problem we
have had in the past on SF was that anonymous submissions were allowed
and then the developers could not contact the submitter for further
information.  Now all items are being looked at instead of being
forgotten about due to a less than optimal amount of information being
submitted.

Regards
        Trevor

Re: Switching completely to GRAMPS

Jim Winfrey
On 10/22/06, Cathy Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I too would like to switch completely over to GRAMPS 2.0. But there is
> things about GRAMPS that I just don't like.
>
> 1. Slow as can be... By the time it decides to come on, I have done
> given up on it opening up.

Cathy, my database is 14K+ and Gramps opens and loads the database in
about 6-7 seconds.  Sounds like there may be a system problem on your
computer.  Gramps, by the way, opens in the view it was in when you
closed it.

> Then what ever I go to do in the program, its very slow... Then some
> times it don't work at all.

Gramps is very slow in things like criteria searches but it does it
better than most of the programs I've used.  For example, if I search
Events for Type = Birth and Place = Wake, North Carolina, all I get is
all Birth events sorted by ID#.  Not what I would expect.

> 2. When it first opens up, I guess it opens to the index of surnames. I
> would like to have it open to who you were working on last. Not having
> to go through all the names to find or if your away for a while as to
> who you were working on last.

There are 2 easy workarounds for this.  You can put the focus person
as the Root person (under the Edit menu) and Gramps will open directly
to this person next session, or probably best is to assign the current
person a bookmark.  Click on the bookmark and go directly to the focus
person.

> 3. I can't get the surnames to open up lots of the time. The program
> just sits there and don't go to the list of individuals under the surname.

I had the same problem when I first started with Gramps.  There is
some magic involved.  First, you have to click on the surname even if
it appears selected, then click once on the toggle thingy at the
beginning of the surname.  Supposedly you can double click the thingy
but I have not found that to be reliable.

> 4. I don't like having to scroll down through the surnames to get to the
> one I want, then scroll down through those names to find the one I want.
> Need a search box, to type in name wanted.

A name search is usually faster than drilling down the Surname list.
You can have the sidebar search open or if not there is a search bar
at the top.  Just type in the name you are looking for and click on
Find.  This will show all people who have the name but it is much
faster.

> Well I guess this is all I can talk about now, cause I can't get GRAMPS
> to go any further then bring up an individual person to edit. I did want
> to discuss some issues that in the future you might consider...

I'm just learning Gramps too but it is worth taking the time to learn.
 The Windows programs I've used over the years are focused on widgets
and smoke and mirrors to differentiate themselves so they can sell
more product.  It is refreshing to find developers who focus on what I
think is most important - a solid database where I can store all the
data I find on my family and view it however I need to.  I can search
Ancestry or Family Search without having builtins in my genealogy
program to do it for me.

> Cathy..

Re: Switching completely to GRAMPS

Don Allingham
On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 08:57 -0400, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> On 10/22/06, Cathy Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > 3. I can't get the surnames to open up lots of the time. The program
> > just sits there and don't go to the list of individuals under the surname.
>
> I had the same problem when I first started with Gramps.  There is
> some magic involved.  First, you have to click on the surname even if
> it appears selected, then click once on the toggle thingy at the
> beginning of the surname.  Supposedly you can double click the thingy
> but I have not found that to be reliable.

Try clicking on the triangle next to the surname. This will
expand/contract the list of names under the surname.

This is a standard GTK function.

When the triangle/arrow points right, then surname is contracted. When
you click on it, the triangle rotates and points down, displaying the
names underneath.

Don

Re: Switching completely to GRAMPS

Eero Tamminen-3

On Monday 23 October 2006 15:57, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> > 2. When it first opens up, I guess it opens to the index of surnames. I
> > would like to have it open to who you were working on last. Not having
> > to go through all the names to find or if your away for a while as to
> > who you were working on last.
>
> There are 2 easy workarounds for this.  You can put the focus person
> as the Root person (under the Edit menu) and Gramps will open directly
> to this person next session, or probably best is to assign the current
> person a bookmark.  Click on the bookmark and go directly to the focus
> person.

Hm.  Maybe there could be an "automatic" bookmark that is set either to
the last person being edited, and/or to the last person edited when
the database was (previously) closed?

        - Eero