Sync Gramps between two machines

diannereuby
I run Gramps on my desktop, but I recently got a laptop and I thought it
would be useful to run on that as I can take it with me when doing
research.

At the moment I'm syncing by backing up as usual and restoring it - but
there must be a better way? My main worry is that I'll forget which
machine has the latest version!

I know it would be best to keep it on one machine, but I find my desktop
easiest to use when I'm at home.

I have 3.2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.

TIA for any advice,
Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Benny Malengier

2010/7/16 Dianne Reuby <[hidden email]>
I run Gramps on my desktop, but I recently got a laptop and I thought it
would be useful to run on that as I can take it with me when doing
research.

At the moment I'm syncing by backing up as usual and restoring it - but
there must be a better way? My main worry is that I'll forget which
machine has the latest version!

I know it would be best to keep it on one machine, but I find my desktop
easiest to use when I'm at home.

I have 3.2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.

There are many ways, you should experiment.

1. The safest is export to .gramps xml on usb and import from there. Nothing can go wrong there, there is a timestamp on the file. Only problem is that import is slow, and you need to manually delete previous versions of the tree in the family manager

If the same OS and same architecture is used, you can reuse the binary database file:

2a. in the preferences, set your database path to point to a large, quality usb key. Then just move your usb key from one pc to the other. If you don't want to change your database path (usb will not always be present), you can open the database path from the console, see http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/man1/gramps.1.html so:

gramps --open /media/disk1/grampsdb/4be850a3

You can put a desktop file on your desktop that does that on click. So you once copy your initial database to usb key, then keep using it from there.

2b. A variant of above is that you copy the directory /media/disk1/grampsdb/4be850a3 from usb to harddisk and back. But then you are again at the problem of not knowing what was your last version

2c. Another variant is that you have an NFS shared hard disk and mount that and that your database is there.

A note:
1. low quality usb disks can go bad on many writes and reads, so complementing above with regular backups to .gramps xml file is required. usb is faster than (some) hard disks though.
2. I tried none of the above myself, I work on one computer myself.
3. You will also need to store your pictures/documents on this USB key. Use in the preferences: use relative media path, and set the base path for all media to a directory on the usb. Then in the tools, convert your exiting documents with absolute directory path to relative directory path.

Benny

PS: also use a sync tool to sync your images on the usb with a directory  in your PC's, for example with http://www.opbyte.it/grsync/screenshot.html

Benny

TIA for any advice,
Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Petr Hejl-2
I really don't want to advertise any product however in order to help
I'll just describe what I use.

I use Dropbox (google it ;)) and I have one directory where I have both
media and grampsdb there. Something like this:

Dropbox
   Private
     genealogy
       .gramps
       Individuals
       Places
       Sources

The structure is not really important. Just being it under Dropbox means
it is automatically synchronized to server and once configured machine
is connected to network to such machine. You don't have to do anything
special, you just need network connection for synchronization.
Everything is done automatically.

Another benefit is that you can access the media files anywhere by with
web based ui. And it is also a kind of backup as there is history as
well (30 days).

P.

On 07/16/2010 11:18 PM, Dianne Reuby wrote:

> I run Gramps on my desktop, but I recently got a laptop and I thought it
> would be useful to run on that as I can take it with me when doing
> research.
>
> At the moment I'm syncing by backing up as usual and restoring it - but
> there must be a better way? My main worry is that I'll forget which
> machine has the latest version!
>
> I know it would be best to keep it on one machine, but I find my desktop
> easiest to use when I'm at home.
>
> I have 3.2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> TIA for any advice,
> Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Doug
FWIW, Dianne, for a number of years I've been running gramps
on both a laptop which I take abroad and on my home desktop,
without problems.

1) When I'm about to go abroad I export my current desktop
as portable gramps XML, i.e. including media files. I give
it a name incorporating the current date, e.g,
"GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg"

2) "GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg" is then copied onto my laptop, either
     a) through the domestic LAN with rsync, e.g.:
rsync -avuW <desktop>/GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg <me>@laptop:~
or
     b) copying onto a USB memory and off that onto the laptop

3) Import GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg into a new Family Tree on
the laptop using a similar name, e.g. "20th March 2010".

4) set gramps to use relative addressing for media files and
shift
GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg.media into a more convenient directory.

5) Reverse the whole process when I get back, giving the
laptop export a name incorporating whatever is the then
current date.

I prefer portable XML as the safest way to do transfers; it
also means there are good backups if anything goes wrong,
like a computer packing up.

There's no problem about knowing which is an earlier and
which a later version, so you can have several versions
present on both the laptop and desktop - a real life-saver
if, as once happened, my database got corrupted several
versions before I discovered something was wrong.

The only caveat is: once you've exported your database from
the desktop, *don't* do any more work on the desktop; do it
*only* on the laptop. Otherwise you're liable to forget the
new stuff on the desktop and it will get overlooked when you
transfer stuff back again.

Doug

On 16/07/10 22:18, Dianne Reuby wrote:

> I run Gramps on my desktop, but I recently got a laptop and I thought it
> would be useful to run on that as I can take it with me when doing
> research.
>
> At the moment I'm syncing by backing up as usual and restoring it - but
> there must be a better way? My main worry is that I'll forget which
> machine has the latest version!
>
> I know it would be best to keep it on one machine, but I find my desktop
> easiest to use when I'm at home.
>
> I have 3.2.0.1 on Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> TIA for any advice,
> Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

gramps
Doug

I recently reported a bug on this issue as I couldn't import XML (All data) from one machine to the other:
Can you test yours and see if you can import/export ?

FWIW, Dianne, for a number of years I've been running gramps
on both a laptop which I take abroad and on my home desktop,
without problems.

1) When I'm about to go abroad I export my current desktop
as portable gramps XML, i.e. including media files. I give
it a name incorporating the current date, e.g,
"GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg"

2) "GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg" is then copied onto my laptop, either
a) through the domestic LAN with rsync, e.g.:
rsync -avuW <desktop>/GRAMPS_20Mar2010.gpkg <me>@laptop:~
or
b) copying onto a USB memory and off that onto the laptop

<Snip>

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Doug
Sorry, I can't find any bug 0004111 on the bug tracking
system (only 0004110 and 0004112), so I'm not sure how the
problem shows up.

I wonder if you're trying to import 'gramps XML' rather than
'gramps XML *package*'.

'gramps XML' only works if the directory structure is
identical on the two machines, so in general it's more
useful on one machine only. You can save a back-up of your
database when working on it, and if things go wrong,
re-import the back-up to the same machine.

'gramps XML package' really is portable, however. My laptop
and desktop run different versions of the operating system,
one is 32-bit, the other 64-bit, their directory structures
are also somewhat different. It also includes the media
files, which 'gramps XML' doesn't.

HTH
Doug

On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 18:41 +0000, Petr Hejl wrote:

> I use Dropbox (google it ;)) and I have one directory where I have
> both media and grampsdb there. Something like this:
>
> Dropbox
>    Private
>      genealogy
>        .gramps
>        Individuals
>        Places
>        Sources

I have Dropbox, and already use it to store my backup, so that would be
a good solution for me.

So I would move grampsdb folder to Dropbox, and change the relative path
on the Database tab to www.dropbox/home - is that right?

On 07/18/2010 04:52 PM, Dianne Reuby wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-07-17 at 18:41 +0000, Petr Hejl wrote:
>> I use Dropbox (google it ;)) and I have one directory where I have
>> both media and grampsdb there. Something like this:
>>
>> Dropbox
>>     Private
>>       genealogy
>>         .gramps
>>         Individuals
>>         Places
>>         Sources
>
> I have Dropbox, and already use it to store my backup, so that would be
> a good solution for me.
>
> So I would move grampsdb folder to Dropbox, and change the relative path
> on the Database tab to www.dropbox/home - is that right?
I guess it would work. However I just use symbolic link for ~/.gramps
pointing to ~/Dropbox/.gramps. So I don't change the gramps
configuration in any way.

P.

> Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Doug
Now the bug report is up I see my comments were off-base, sorry.

Some of your imported files seemed to be in your hidden
.gramps directory which struck me as a bit odd; they
wouldn't normally end up there.
So I tried putting a gpkg in mine and importing from there.
Didn't present any problem, so I'm afraid that's no help

Doug

On 18/07/10 11:39, jerome wrote:

>> I can't find any bug 0004111 on the bug tracking
>
> My bad, was noted private ...
> Should be available, now.
>
> Sorry.

<snip>

>> On 17/07/10 15:23, [hidden email]
>> wrote:
>>> Doug
>>>
>>> I recently reported a bug on this issue as I couldn't
>> import
>>> XML (All data) from one machine to the other:
>>> http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4111
>>> Can you test yours and see if you can import/export ?

<snip>

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

gramps
Jerome,
Yes, I always show hidden files/directories.  I like keeping the data together so I put the media in the same directory as the gramps data.  Perhaps it isn't the best for the program, but for backing up it makes it easy.

On 18/07/10 11:39, jerome wrote:
>> I can't find any bug 0004111 on the bug tracking
>
> My bad, was noted private ...
> Should be available, now.
>
> Sorry.

Hmmm ... now gramps thinks it's a new installation, and is asking me to
create a tree.

(Just realised I replied to you direct and not to the list Petr - sorry
about that)

Dianne

Re: Sync Gramps between two machines

Doug
<snip>
> Hmmm ... now gramps thinks it's a new installation, and is asking me to
> create a tree.

<snip>

That's OK, in fact it's normal - just give the new tree a
name similar to the gramps package, then you won't get
confused about which tree comes from which package.
e.g. import a package named "GRAMPS_20_Mar_2010.gpkg" into a
new Family Tree, naming that "20_Mar_2010_gramps"

HTH

Doug

On 07/20/2010 06:12 PM, Dianne Reuby wrote:

>> Sorry, just got back to this! This is the first time I've used
>> symlinks,
>>> so just to make it clear to me - I move contents of ~/.gramps to
>>> ~/Dropbox/.gramps, and just have a symlink in my ~/.gramps folder?
>
>> Exactly. (ln -s ~/Dropbox/.gramps ~/.gramps)
>
> Hmmm ... now gramps thinks it's a new installation, and is asking me to
> create a tree.

That's really strange. Are you sure the symlink is correct? In your home
there should be link named .gramps pointing to the path where you copied
the original gramps data. Eg when you do cd ~/.gramps and ls you should
see the same data as it used to be. If you can't do cd or the ls shows
nothing there is something wrong with your symlink configuration.

P.

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 11:11 +0200, Petr Hejl wrote:
> Are you sure the symlink is correct? In your home
> there should be link named .gramps pointing to the path where you
> copied the original gramps data. Eg when you do cd ~/.gramps and ls
> you should see the same data as it used to be. If you can't do cd or
> the ls shows nothing there is something wrong with your symlink
> configuration.

It *is* weird - I know I moved all the contents from ~/.gramps to
~/Dropbox/.gramps. I had an empty folder left. Then I created my
symlink.

But now, my /.gramps folder has a symlink, and folders for env,
gramps32,  grampsdb,  temp,  thumb.  (which are also in Dropbox - but
the item numbers are different, so it isn't a exact copy.)

The symlink properties shows link target
as /home/dianne/Dropbox/.gramps, but the symlink folder also shows
folders for grampsdb etc - all my original files.

Dianne