Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Hugh Paterson III
Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?

- Hugh

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

prculley
Gramps itself doesn't provide any mechanisms for this.
It is possible to sync between two machines with external tools, but generally not recommended.  This is because if ANYTHING is different on the two machines, Gramps versions, settings etc. you can easily mess up a tree so that it cannot be opened.

And to top it off, if changes are made on both machines between syncs, you are almost guaranteed to corrupt your tree.

The only way it can work reliably is to have identical versions on both machines, and treat it as a move, that is close down one machine's Gramps, with the other machine also closed, sync, and then use the other machine exclusively until you move back.  I've done this to shift from a desktop to laptop and back occasionally.  Even here you had best have some backups made in case you make a mistake (like forgetting that you did some more edits on the wrong machine).

Don't say I did not warn you...

Paul C.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Hugh Paterson III <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?

- Hugh

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

John Paton
On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>
> - Hugh

Hugh

I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I have
Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons mentioned
by Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation on both
machines is identical.

When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine (I
am using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a
Dropbox Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main Dropbox
account.

Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in the
local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy in the
cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other machine is
switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine match the
master copy so the different computers are now in sync again.

Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak from
personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be opened. So
as always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.

I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.

John

On 05/31/2017 03:53 PM, John Paton wrote:

> On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
>> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>>
>> - Hugh
>>
> Hugh
>
> I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I have
> Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons mentioned by
> Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation on both machines
> is identical.
>
> When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine (I am
> using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a Dropbox
> Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main Dropbox account.
>
> Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in the
> local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy in the
> cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other machine is
> switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine match the master
> copy so the different computers are now in sync again.
>
> Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak from
> personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be opened. So as
> always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.
>
> I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.

When it arrives, Gramps 5.0 using SQLite should make this a bit less harrowing.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Simon C. Tremblay
I do the same to sync from my desktop at home and my personal laptop I take to the library or the office (so much maintenance can be done over lunch, like entering lat,lon for locations, cleaning photos, etc).

To minimise the risks of corruption, I always pause Dropbox sync before launching Gramps and make sure sync is restarted only after closing Gramps and completed before closing my session.

Also, like everyone I recommend a strong backup strategy always, and especially if you want to juggle chainsaws too.

Simon

On 31 May 2017 at 16:53, John Paton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am using gramps 5 with postgresql. the postgresql server is running on
my Debian server. i can share the db acroos all my systems.

On 31/05/17 05:29 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/31/2017 03:53 PM, John Paton wrote:
>> On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
>>> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>>>
>>> - Hugh
>>>
>> Hugh
>>
>> I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I
>> have Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons
>> mentioned by Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation
>> on both machines is identical.
>>
>> When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine
>> (I am using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a
>> Dropbox Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main
>> Dropbox account.
>>
>> Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in
>> the local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy
>> in the cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other
>> machine is switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine
>> match the master copy so the different computers are now in sync again.
>>
>> Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak
>> from personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be
>> opened. So as always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.
>>
>> I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.
>
> When it arrives, Gramps 5.0 using SQLite should make this a bit less
> harrowing.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Hugh Paterson III
@John

So if I understand your set up you have a remote DB connection for all your "users". do you have any documentation on how you have this set up?
- Hugh

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:55 PM, john via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

GRAMPS - User mailing list

For the moment I don't recommend using the postgresql DB, it needs a lot of work to sort it out. (see my other post).

I am already running Postgresql on my servers for other things like Davical, mail system ...
setup Postgresql as per your server distribution. I then created an empty database which I called gramps, a user that i called gramps-user with a password.

On the the machine that runs gramps, for windows - edit Program files(x86) - GrampsAIO64... - gramps - plugins - db - dbapi - settings.ini

    dbname='gramps'
    dbtype='postgresql'
    host='postgresql.example.com'
    password='password'
    port='5432'
    user='gramps_user'

open gramps and convert an existing family tree.

If every thing works you should have a postgresql DB with yoour data. Using phpPGadmin you should be able to browse the database.

On 06/06/17 03:38 AM, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm.

The Windows version (GrampsAIO-5.0.0.alpha-57-g882c37a-win64) seems to work, It will need further testing before that can be confirmed.

The Linux version (python3-gramps_5.0.0-alpha-all.deb) crashes, with various errors. The most common being undefined or incorrect relationships.

perhaps the differneces between the linux ans windows versions can be investigated.

On 6/6/17 8:24 PM, john via Gramps-users wrote:

[...]

Josip
7.6.2017. u 4:51, John via Gramps-users je napisao/la:
> The Windows version (GrampsAIO-5.0.0.alpha-57-g882c37a-win64) seems to
> work, It will need further testing before that can be confirmed.
>
> The Linux version (python3-gramps_5.0.0-alpha-all.deb) crashes, with
> various errors. The most common being undefined or incorrect relationships.
>
> perhaps the differneces between the linux ans windows versions can be
> investigated.

Please note that like any other software "alpha" and "beta" version are
for testing not for regular use.

Please also note that gramps-5.0.0-alpha1 testing version is very old,
it is released on 5 Jun 2016. Since then there was a lot of changes in
source code (1157 commits).

In case of gramps-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a:
"517" is number of commits (pushed changes in source code) since initial
release of alpha1 and "882c37a" is hash of last commit which is made on
21 Nov 2016.

Bottom line is that all those versions are quite outdated and if you are
unable to run gramps from source then wait for release of alpha2 version
which will be soon.

--
Josip

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Suncatcher
I have the same situation. I already have the working instance of postgres
in the cloud and I want to set up Gramps to use it. What configuration
should I do? I assume, Linux steps would be different from Windows.

I do not have postgres in DB-Backend setting

<http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/file/t375349/2018-05-11.png>

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Suncatcher
Hi,
cannot add any Gramplet. Right click does nothing, no menu is showed. Any other way to add Gramplet?

On 5/12/2018 9:01:13 AM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Can you install the "Prerequisites Checker Gramplet" to your Dashboard and copy and paste the result here (no screenshot)
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Addon:Prerequisites_Checker_Gramplet

My guess is that you have not installed what the addon needs?

Kind regards
Sam

PS:I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 and it works for me won't be upgrading to 18.04 before the point one release in June at least.

On 12 May 2018 at 15:53, Mister X <[hidden email]> wrote:
Started from the command line and the same error in console

mule@gimmus:~$ gramps
2018-05-12 08:46:31.741: WARNING: dummydb.py: line 602: database is closed

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome 3.28.1. Here is uname -a:
Linux zimus 4.15.0-20-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Apr 24 06:16:15 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now it is showing only Postgres addon  in update window, other addons have disappeared, which makes me think the install process was started, then was interrupted and now there is some file-lock (or smth else), which makes an illusion that addon is installed and it's trying to update it.

<screenshot removed for the mailing list>

On 5/12/2018 8:45:17 AM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Which Operating system (Linux/Windows/Apple etc..) are you using?

Kind regards
Sam

On 12 May 2018 at 15:23, Mister X <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI, Sam. Thanks for assistance.
Here is what I have when I try to install this addon:

In syslog I have

May 12 08:00:53 gimmus gramps.desktop[12138]: 2018-05-12 08:00:53.943: WARNING: dummydb.py: line 602: database is closed
May 12 08:09:26 gimmus gramps.desktop[12370]: 2018-05-12 08:09:26.711: WARNING: dummydb.py: line 602: database is closed

What other logs should I check?

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Suncatcher
Hi,
where did you get that I use Mac? Previously I wrote that my system is Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe it is some bug of Gtk+3? My Gramps version if 5.0.0-beta1.
On other tabs except Dashboard, I can add Grampets via top right arrows of other Gramplets, but they seems to be context-dependent, and I can add only related Gramplets, not Prerequisites Checker.
And on Dashboard empty area ( I removed all default Gramplet) right-click is not working.

On 5/14/2018 1:51:04 AM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Looks like a possible issue on Macosx with the addon reported in

I've rebuilt the addon which means that you will need to check for updated addons and select the new version of the "Prerequisites Checker Gramplet" and try to add it to the Dashboard

>  cannot add any Gramplet. Right click does nothing, no menu is showed. Any other way to add Gramplet?

I don't have a Mac and when I say right click , I believe you should use whatever equivalent is used to show a context menu on the Mac (maybe  the following link will help
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9171613/right-click-shortcut-for-mac-lion-os/11238186#11238186 )

Kind regards
Sam

On 13 May 2018 at 18:06, Mister X <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried Gnome Tweaker, and it didn't help. I do not use trackpad, only mouse. And right click works perfectly on all other Gnome apps except Gramps. It even works in other places of Gramps except dashboard, I can click on Geography gramplet map and it shows menu. So it doesn't seems those global Bionic bug.
Will fire a bug as I get confirmation. Thanks for assistance.

On 5/14/2018 8:06:34 AM, Sam Manzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

No Mac sorry my mistake, don't always have time to go back an re-read the older messages any future issue can be raised on the bug tracker!

The Prerequisites Checker is only available from the Dashboard.

Your issue looks to be unrelated to Gramps and more likely related to using a touch pad on a notebook/laptop, is that what you are doing?

Ubuntu 18.04 Touchpad right-click is not working

one of the entries mention to:

Install/Open GNOME Tweaks
Go to Mouse and Keyboard Under Mouse
Click Emulation select Area.

See if that works for you?

Another reason why I won't be upgrading to 18.04 until the point one release in July.

-
Kind Regards
Sam

How to Fix Right Click Touchpad Not Working on Ubuntu 18.04 [Quick Tip]

On 14 May 2018 at 14:26, Mister X <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
where did you get that I use Mac? Previously I wrote that my system is Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe it is some bug of Gtk+3? My Gramps version if 5.0.0-beta1.
On other tabs except Dashboard, I can add Grampets via top right arrows of other Gramplets, but they seems to be context-dependent, and I can add only related Gramplets, not Prerequisites Checker.
And on Dashboard empty area ( I removed all default Gramplet) right-click is not working.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Suncatcher
Well, I can say that I set up Gramps connection to my remote Postgres
instance, db structure was generated and all is fine until now. Will report
if smth get broken or unstable.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Suncatcher
Suncatcher wrote
> Will report
> if smth get broken or unstable.

He-he, the first errors are here, next are upcoming :)

266768535: ERROR: grampsapp.py: line 143: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xoob/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/PostgreSQL/postgresql.py", line
168, in execute
    self.__cursor.execute(sql, args, **kwargs)
psycopg2.OperationalError: server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line
1032, in __create_page
    page_display = page.get_display()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/views/pageview.py", line
422, in get_display
    self.top = self.build_interface()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/views/pageview.py", line
152, in build_interface
    defaults[0])
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/grampletbar.py",
line 132, in __init__
    self.dbstate, self.uistate)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/widgets/grampletpane.py",
line 177, in make_requested_gramplet
    getattr(module, opts["content"])(gui)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gen/plug/_gramplet.py", line
64, in __init__
    self.init()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/gramplet/filter.py",
line 50, in init
    self.__filter_clicked)
  File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/filters/sidebar/_personsidebarfilter.py",
line 102, in __init__
    SidebarFilter.__init__(self, dbstate, uistate, "Person")
  File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/filters/sidebar/_sidebarfilter.py",
line 70, in __init__
    self._tag_rebuild()
  File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/filters/sidebar/_sidebarfilter.py",
line 214, in _tag_rebuild
    for handle in self.dbstate.db.get_tag_handles(sort_handles=True):
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/db/dbapi/dbapi.py",
line 528, in get_tag_handles
    'COLLATE "%s"' % locale.get_collation())
  File "/home/xoob/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/PostgreSQL/postgresql.py", line
170, in execute
    self.__cursor.execute("rollback")
psycopg2.InterfaceError: cursor already closed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/xoob/.gramps/gramps50/plugins/PostgreSQL/postgresql.py", line
168, in execute
    self.__cursor.execute(sql, args, **kwargs)
psycopg2.InterfaceError: cursor already closed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/plugins/sidebar/categorysidebar.py",
line 155, in __category_clicked
    self.viewmanager.goto_page(cat_num, None)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line 999,
in goto_page
    self.__create_page(page_def[0], page_def[1])
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gramps/gui/viewmanager.py", line
1038, in __create_page