Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Hugh Paterson III
Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?

- Hugh

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

prculley
Gramps itself doesn't provide any mechanisms for this.
It is possible to sync between two machines with external tools, but generally not recommended.  This is because if ANYTHING is different on the two machines, Gramps versions, settings etc. you can easily mess up a tree so that it cannot be opened.

And to top it off, if changes are made on both machines between syncs, you are almost guaranteed to corrupt your tree.

The only way it can work reliably is to have identical versions on both machines, and treat it as a move, that is close down one machine's Gramps, with the other machine also closed, sync, and then use the other machine exclusively until you move back.  I've done this to shift from a desktop to laptop and back occasionally.  Even here you had best have some backups made in case you make a mistake (like forgetting that you did some more edits on the wrong machine).

Don't say I did not warn you...

Paul C.

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Hugh Paterson III <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?

- Hugh

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

John Paton
On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>
> - Hugh

Hugh

I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I have
Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons mentioned
by Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation on both
machines is identical.

When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine (I
am using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a
Dropbox Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main Dropbox
account.

Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in the
local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy in the
cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other machine is
switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine match the
master copy so the different computers are now in sync again.

Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak from
personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be opened. So
as always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.

I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.

John

On 05/31/2017 03:53 PM, John Paton wrote:

> On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
>> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>>
>> - Hugh
>>
> Hugh
>
> I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I have
> Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons mentioned by
> Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation on both machines
> is identical.
>
> When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine (I am
> using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a Dropbox
> Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main Dropbox account.
>
> Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in the
> local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy in the
> cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other machine is
> switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine match the master
> copy so the different computers are now in sync again.
>
> Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak from
> personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be opened. So as
> always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.
>
> I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.

When it arrives, Gramps 5.0 using SQLite should make this a bit less harrowing.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Simon C. Tremblay
I do the same to sync from my desktop at home and my personal laptop I take to the library or the office (so much maintenance can be done over lunch, like entering lat,lon for locations, cleaning photos, etc).

To minimise the risks of corruption, I always pause Dropbox sync before launching Gramps and make sure sync is restarted only after closing Gramps and completed before closing my session.

Also, like everyone I recommend a strong backup strategy always, and especially if you want to juggle chainsaws too.

Simon

On 31 May 2017 at 16:53, John Paton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I am using gramps 5 with postgresql. the postgresql server is running on
my Debian server. i can share the db acroos all my systems.

On 31/05/17 05:29 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 05/31/2017 03:53 PM, John Paton wrote:
>> On 30/05/17 19:59, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
>>> Is there a way to sync between computers with GRAMPs?
>>>
>>> - Hugh
>>>
>> Hugh
>>
>> I use Dropbox. The actual Database is on my Dropbox account and I
>> have Gramps installed on my main PC and my laptop. For the reasons
>> mentioned by Paul Culley I have ensured that the Gramps installation
>> on both machines is identical.
>>
>> When you set up Dropbox it creates a Dropbox folder on each machine
>> (I am using Linux but I expect that on Windows you will end up with a
>> Dropbox Directory on each machine) which is a copy of the main
>> Dropbox account.
>>
>> Changes made to a tree on one computer are made to the local copy in
>> the local Dropbox folder. The Dropbox software keeps the master copy
>> in the cloud in sync with changes to the local copy. When the other
>> machine is switched on Dropbox makes the local copy on that machine
>> match the master copy so the different computers are now in sync again.
>>
>> Some care is needed because it is possible to end up with (I speak
>> from personal experience) 3 copies of a tree none of which can be
>> opened. So as always backup, backup, backup before you try this at home.
>>
>> I would be happy to explain the process in more detail if needed.
>
> When it arrives, Gramps 5.0 using SQLite should make this a bit less
> harrowing.

Re: Sync between computers with GRAMPS

Hugh Paterson III
@John

So if I understand your set up you have a remote DB connection for all your "users". do you have any documentation on how you have this set up?
- Hugh

On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 8:55 PM, john via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

GRAMPS - User mailing list

For the moment I don't recommend using the postgresql DB, it needs a lot of work to sort it out. (see my other post).

I am already running Postgresql on my servers for other things like Davical, mail system ...
setup Postgresql as per your server distribution. I then created an empty database which I called gramps, a user that i called gramps-user with a password.

On the the machine that runs gramps, for windows - edit Program files(x86) - GrampsAIO64... - gramps - plugins - db - dbapi - settings.ini

    dbname='gramps'
    dbtype='postgresql'
    host='postgresql.example.com'
    password='password'
    port='5432'
    user='gramps_user'

open gramps and convert an existing family tree.

If every thing works you should have a postgresql DB with yoour data. Using phpPGadmin you should be able to browse the database.

On 06/06/17 03:38 AM, Hugh Paterson III wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm.

The Windows version (GrampsAIO-5.0.0.alpha-57-g882c37a-win64) seems to work, It will need further testing before that can be confirmed.

The Linux version (python3-gramps_5.0.0-alpha-all.deb) crashes, with various errors. The most common being undefined or incorrect relationships.

perhaps the differneces between the linux ans windows versions can be investigated.

On 6/6/17 8:24 PM, john via Gramps-users wrote:

[...]

Josip
7.6.2017. u 4:51, John via Gramps-users je napisao/la:
> The Windows version (GrampsAIO-5.0.0.alpha-57-g882c37a-win64) seems to
> work, It will need further testing before that can be confirmed.
>
> The Linux version (python3-gramps_5.0.0-alpha-all.deb) crashes, with
> various errors. The most common being undefined or incorrect relationships.
>
> perhaps the differneces between the linux ans windows versions can be
> investigated.

Please note that like any other software "alpha" and "beta" version are
for testing not for regular use.

Please also note that gramps-5.0.0-alpha1 testing version is very old,
it is released on 5 Jun 2016. Since then there was a lot of changes in
source code (1157 commits).

In case of gramps-5.0.0-alpha1-517-g882c37a:
"517" is number of commits (pushed changes in source code) since initial
release of alpha1 and "882c37a" is hash of last commit which is made on
21 Nov 2016.

Bottom line is that all those versions are quite outdated and if you are
unable to run gramps from source then wait for release of alpha2 version
which will be soon.

--
Josip