Terminology used on wiki.

Michael Tiernan
On the webpage at:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recording_UK_Census_data

It says:
Double click on the Ancestry entry in the list. In the Repository Reference Editor type "Certificate" in the Media Type field (delete anything that might already be there), then click OK to return to the New Source dialog
I read this a couple of times and I just thought I'd ask, is the use of the term "Certificate" significant in this setting? It seems that it is intended to mean something more than simply saying that an entry resides  in a repository. (Or I've not come across the discussion on the wiki which explains this.)

Thanks very much for everyone's time!
--
    << MCT >>   Michael C Tiernan.
    Is God a performance artist?

Re: Terminology used on wiki.

Richard Taylor-2
Michael

There is nothing special about the term "Certificate". You can put
anything you like in the Media Type field. It is just meant to record
what sort of artifact the source was recorded on, within that specific
Repository.

I am not too sure why the tutorial uses "Certificate" as I am not
convinced that a Census record should be called a "Certificate", but it
is not of great importance. (I wrote the text a long time ago and I have
forgotten why I used that term). You could call it a "Record" if you
like, which is the first default value that appears in the drop down list.

The tutorial is a little old now, if you find things that could be
improved please consider making changes. All you need to do is create
yourself an account on the wiki and you can edit the document yourself.

All the best

Richard

On 26/04/2011 13:16, Michael C Tiernan wrote:

> On the webpage at:
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Recording_UK_Census_data
>
> It says:
>
>     Double click on the Ancestry entry in the list. In the Repository
>     Reference Editor type "Certificate" in the Media Type field (delete
>     anything that might already be there), then click OK to return to
>     the New Source dialog
>
> I read this a couple of times and I just thought I'd ask, is the use of
> the term "Certificate" significant in this setting? It seems that it is
> intended to mean something more than simply saying that an entry
> resides  in a repository. (Or I've not come across the discussion on the
> wiki which explains this.)

Re: Terminology used on wiki.

Michael Tiernan
> There is nothing special about the term "Certificate". You can put
> anything you like in the Media Type field. It is just meant to record
> what sort of artifact the source was recorded on, within that specific
> Repository.
That's great. Thank you for the info.

It's good to know. I know that sometimes I read things *too* closely, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important since I'm still very much a genealogy novice.

Thanks for your response!