Testing tools/methods

brian fitzgerald

Greetings,

 I am testing some of the features of the Gramps5-A3 reports and am still finding Narrative web too slow to use.  It seems to get about 10% through the ~6000 people and then slows to a crawl. It does not stop though! It will finish in a little under 2 days.

I am thinking that there is an element of the personal page generation which is slowing down the process like place maps generation or relationship generation, or database problems,  but I do not know of any way to identify a specific feature as being at fault since I cannot step through the process with a tool. This seriously inhibits the filing of a useful bug report.

Does anyone know of a method, some kind of a diagnostic approach, to begin to diagnose such problems. Are there tools available to help volunteer testers?

Brian

Re: Testing tools/methods

Peter Griffin-2
What you might try is to deselect all the optional pages, if that makes a difference slowly add pages until it starts to bog down.

Good luck

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A

Re: Testing tools/methods

Serge Noiraud-2

Le 30/01/2018 à 20:13, brian fitzgerald a écrit :

> Greetings,
>
>  I am testing some of the features of the Gramps5-A3 reports and am still finding Narrative web too slow to use.  It seems to get about 10% through the ~6000 people and then slows to a crawl. It does not stop though! It will finish in a little under 2 days.
>
> I am thinking that there is an element of the personal page generation which is slowing down the process like place maps generation or relationship generation, or database problems, but I do not know of any way to identify a specific feature as being at fault since I cannot step through the process with a tool. This seriously inhibits the filing of a useful bug report.
>
> Does anyone know of a method, some kind of a diagnostic approach, to begin to diagnose such problems. Are there tools available to help volunteer testers?
>

> Brian

My database contains 8500 people, 13500 events, 415 places, 1990 sources, 9500 citations, 11500 notes, 355 media and 12 repositories.

It take less than 12 minutes to generate the entire database with all options.

Do you use filtering ?

Serge

Re: Testing tools/methods

brian fitzgerald

No Filters. Just the entire database.

 Living included, sort children in birth order, include images and media objects, include unused images and media objects, all advanced options checked(except gendex), all place options checked with OSM, no CMS options checked.

Here is the statistics report from the report;

Number of individuals:5786
Males:3480
Females:2279
Individuals with unknown gender:27

Number of families:2493
Unique surnames:1422

otal number of media object references:2021
Number of unique media objects:2021
Total size of media objects: 656 MB
Missing Media Objects:0

Number of events:7113
Number of places:860
Number of sources:578
Number of citations:185
Number of repositories:16

526 seconds in Gramps 4.2.6

42 hrs in Gramps 5.0a3 nearly all spent in the individual pages phase.

System:

GRAMPS: 4.2.6
Python: 3.5.2 (default, Nov 23 2017, 16:37:01) [...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28)
LANG: en_US.UTF-8
OS: Linux

Linux Mint 18.2

Something is 'timing out' for most individuals during individual page generation phase, I suppose, but I can't tell what.

I have tried on Virtualbox Virtual machine and dedicated HW platform with almost no difference.

Is there something I should look for which signals what function is timing out, or maybe what operation is running super slow?

At first sight the pages seem very nice and well formed. There is a Huge relationship statement right there in the middle but I don't know how to turn it off.