Text Reports cannot save Error

Phylis Sophical
Re: [Gramps-users] Text Reports cannot save Error
From:
Ron Johnson [hidden email]
Date:
8/8/2013 11:33 AM
To:
[hidden email]

On 08/08/2013 01:15 PM, PhylisSophical wrote:
Gramps v. 3.4.3-1
OS: Win7 Pro

I am unable to save Text Reports. I get the following message:

Please select another path or correct the permissions.

I have tried to change the permissions in Windows7 for 'grampsdb' folder to no avail. I was able to print / save reports when I first installed Gramps. I can't figure out what's changed.

The error message is as follows:

124899: ERROR: gramps.py: line 107: Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO32\share\gramps\gui\plug\report\_docreportdialog.py", line 262, in on_ok_clicked
    self.options.handler.set_custom_paper_size(self.paper_frame.get_custom_paper_size())
  File "C:\Program Files\GrampsAIO32\share\gramps\gui\plug\report\_papermenu.py", line 280, in get_custom_paper_size
    width   = float(self.pwidth.get_text().replace(",", ".")) * \
ValueError: could not convert string to float:

Any Suggestions??

Can we validly presume that you log into your Windows machine as user "owner"?
    Yes, I log on as "owner", which is the only account, therefore the admin account.

Gramps AIO64-4.2.5-1
Windows 10

Re: Text Reports cannot save Error

Ron Johnson
On 08/08/2013 03:39 PM, PhylisSophical wrote:
Re: [Gramps-users] Text Reports cannot save Error
From:
Ron Johnson [hidden email]
Date:
8/8/2013 11:33 AM
To:
[...]

To me, the obvious answer is that you need to grant "yourself" write, create, delete, etc privs to C:\Users\owner\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps.  I'd use notepad to see where the problem lies.

However... "owner" should already have full privs to files and directories in it's own document tree.  So the obvious answer may not work.

--
"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"
Petronius

Re: Text Reports cannot save Error

derHeinzi
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 22:57:49 +0200, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/08/2013 03:39 PM, PhylisSophical wrote:
>> Re: [Gramps-users] Text Reports cannot save Error
>> From:
>> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]>
>> Date:
>> 8/8/2013 11:33 AM
>>
>> To:
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> On 08/08/2013 01:15 PM, PhylisSophical wrote:
>>> Gramps v. 3.4.3-1
>>> OS: Win7 Pro
>>>
>>> I am unable to save Text Reports. I get the following message:
>>> C:\Users\owner\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps\Reports\Bowman Wishart_summary.odt
>>> Please select another path or correct the permissions.
>>>
>>> I have tried to change the permissions in Windows7 for 'grampsdb' folder
>>> to no avail. I was able to print / save reports when I first installed
>>> Gramps. I can't figure out what's changed.
>>>
>>> The error message is as follows:
>>> 124899: ERROR: gramps.py: line 107: Unhandled exception
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "C:\Program
>>> Files\GrampsAIO32\share\gramps\gui\plug\report\_docreportdialog.py", line
>>> 262, in on_ok_clicked
>>> self.options.handler.set_custom_paper_size(self.paper_frame.get_custom_paper_size())
>>>   File "C:\Program
>>> Files\GrampsAIO32\share\gramps\gui\plug\report\_papermenu.py", line 280,
>>> in get_custom_paper_size
>>>     width   = float(self.pwidth.get_text().replace(",", ".")) * \
>>> ValueError: could not convert string to float:
>>>
>>> Any Suggestions??
>>
>> Can we validly presume that you log into your Windows machine as user "owner"?
>>     Yes, I log on as "owner", which is the only account, therefore the
>> admin account.
>
> To me, the obvious answer is that you need to grant "yourself" write,
> create, delete, etc privs to C:\Users\owner\Documents\Genealogy\Gramps.  I'd
> use notepad to see where the problem lies.
>
> However... "owner" should already have full privs to files and directories
> in it's own document tree.  So the obvious answer may not work.

The error message suggests that something else goes wrong and the papersize can not be calculated. The message presented to the user might be misleading and show the wrong reason why the file was not created?
It seems you specified a "custom paper size"? Is that the case? Which paper size did you select for the report?