Text files in "Gallery".

Erik P. Olsen
If I put text files in the Gallery, how can I view them? If it's an image file my image
viewer is launched which is fine but NOT if it's a text file.

--
Erik P. Olsen - Copenhagen, Denmark
Fedora 29/64 bit Linux xfce Claws-Mail POP3 Gramps 5.0.1

Re: Text files in "Gallery".

Ron Johnson
On 8/3/19 9:40 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> If I put text files in the Gallery, how can I view them? If it's an image file my image
> viewer is launched which is fine but NOT if it's a text file.

In Linux with Gramps 5.0.1, double-click on the generic-looking Preview.
That works for me.

Re: Text files in "Gallery".

A text file, created and typed within gramps would be a Note.

To add a note to a Galley, the text would need to be an external
document from Gramps (a TXT, PDF, DOC....) file. These files can be
added just like an image file and should open with your default
program for the document's extension.

Remember, the part of Gramps for these external files is "Media". It
is not just for images

One of the confusions is when and how media files will open. If the
Media file is in an edit window, clicking on the  media's
icon/thumbnail will open the Media Edit window  Clicking on a media
icon/thumbnail in a View screen should launch it's outside viewer.

if the file format will not open in  its viewer as described above,
make sure you let us know what the file format is and which Gramps
version you are using.

HTH Dave

On 2019-08-03 at 09:57:11 J. Allen Crider wrote:

> What operating system are you using?  I run Kubuntu, and the Kate text
> editor is launched on my system.

Look at my signature. Outside gramps the text editor is launched perfectly but inside of
gramps it is not.

--
Erik P. Olsen - Copenhagen, Denmark
Fedora 29/64 bit Linux xfce Claws-Mail POP3 Gramps 5.0.1

Re: Text files in "Gallery".

J. Allen Crider-2
It has been many years since I looked at Fedora, and I've never used
xfce, but there should be an application or other method for changing
settings.  In KDE there is a panel for file associations within the
System Settings application, and for me gramps uses those settings.  For
example, I changed the default application for plain text files to jEdit
in the System Settings, and the next time I opened gramps, it used jEdit
to open the only text file I have in my media collection at this time.

On 8/3/19 10:35 AM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 2019-08-03 at 09:57:11 J. Allen Crider wrote:
>
>> What operating system are you using?  I run Kubuntu, and the Kate text
>> editor is launched on my system.
>

> Look at my signature. Outside gramps the text editor is launched perfectly but inside of
> gramps it is not.

Re: Text files in "Gallery".

I believe that Gramps is starting a sub-process with the 'xdg-open' command and the media path.  So whatever xdg-open does with the text file is what you get.

You may have to use xdg-mime to figure out what you text file shows up as and to set up an appropriate default application.

Paul C.

On 2019-08-03 at 11:30:23 Paul Culley wrote:

> I believe that Gramps is starting a sub-process with the 'xdg-open' command
> and the media path.  So whatever xdg-open does with the text file is what
> you get.
>
> You may have to use xdg-mime to figure out what you text file shows up as
> and to set up an appropriate default application.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 10:35 AM Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 2019-08-03 at 09:57:11 J. Allen Crider wrote:
> >
> > > What operating system are you using?  I run Kubuntu, and the Kate text
> > > editor is launched on my system.
> >

> > Look at my signature. Outside gramps the text editor is launched perfectly
> > but inside of
> > gramps it is not.
> >
> > --
> > Erik P. Olsen - Copenhagen, Denmark
> > Fedora 29/64 bit Linux xfce Claws-Mail POP3 Gramps 5.0.1
> >

> > --

Thanks a lot, Paul. I had forgotten how to set up mime types but after having looked into
how to, I've ,managed to set it up properly so now I can view alle the text files. Thanks
again, now all is well :-)